My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone else having a banner year for the lawn? I'm in the North East and the growth has been explosive all spring. The picture below is 4 days growth with less than a quarter inch of rain. My lawn care regimen this year was similar to years past, except I tried Bayer fertilizer/crabgrass preventer on one part of it at the end of last year. I suspect I may have thown a little more lime at the lawn too, but not more than a few bags. Anyways, I'm finally proud of my lawn, just having trouble keeping up with the mowing.

Plant Plant community Natural landscape Tree Terrestrial plant

·
Super Moderator
43,244 Posts
Wow, mine has been growing pretty slowly, getting by with mowing once a week or longer.

·
Super Moderator
14,471 Posts
Same thing here....in May I got a bunch of lime from a demo job my friend was doing, taking down an old garden center...so I applied "liberally".....then I fertilized and got some rain.....I cut the lawn the day before I went away for 2 weeks ....after about 8 or 9 days my wife was looking at our RING doorbell App on her phone and asked if I hired someone to cut the lawn...she saw someone cutting the grass....it had gotten so high my brother in law decided to come and cut ...just the front......when I got home the back lawn was like a tropical rain forest and the front was longer than I usually let it grow.....it looks great for now, but it needs to be mowed and it is 86*...going into the 60s tonight and for he rest of the weekend, so going to wait ...but this is the time of year when the lawn looks great and the delicate balance of sun and water becomes a battle of wits ...usually heat and humidity win and everyone's lawns take on that brown / red color for a few weeks...I am trying watering every other day now for 20 minutes each zone...hope I win the battle this year...good luck to the others in the same boat;)

·
Professional Homeowner
8,517 Posts
Is anyone else having a banner year for the lawn? I'm in the North East and the growth has been explosive all spring. The picture below is 4 days growth with less than a quarter inch of rain. My lawn care regimen this year was similar to years past, except I tried Bayer fertilizer/crabgrass preventer on one part of it at the end of last year. I suspect I may have thown a little more lime at the lawn too, but not more than a few bags. Anyways, I'm finally proud of my lawn, just having trouble keeping up with the mowing.

View attachment 2555030
Looks great!
I’m actually trying to keep mine from growing too fast. I love mowing, but gas prices suck right now.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Half of my flat yard, the grass is buried under a couple inches of silt after we had 3" of rain in under a half hour Tuesday morning followed by high water Tuesday evening.
We have had plenty of rain here in WVa., so no brown grass or plants.

12oreo, three applications of Scotts Weed and Feed has almost eliminated the clover, thistles, dandelions and most other weeds in her grass. She lives in the Shenandoah Valley in Virginia, a couple towns away from Harrisonburg. I have made three trips down to apply the Scott's. Started last year, early fall was the first, then early winter and again early spring this year. I am due to do early summer this year in a couple weeks.

5,911 Posts
I think you should start a new post on how you made your grass grow. I am having a heck of a time with clover in Northern VA.
I use this to kill the clover. It connects to the hose.

Reactions: 12oreo
5,911 Posts
My grass has been growing fast too. I have to cut it twice a week. The first cut this year was March 15th. All my neighbors had their first cut in May. I've seeded and fertilized it like crazy the past two years to get it to grow and now its growing fast.

5,911 Posts

12oreo By the way, my wife and I drove to Northern Virginia a couple nights ago, and had dinner at this place.

Reactions: 12oreo

·
Premium Member
10,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What's with all the hate for clover? I like it and I think the diversity makes for a healthier lawn. Remember, the symbiosis between Nitrobacter and Nitrosomonas bacteria and the nodes on the roots of the clover are tiny Nitrogen fixing factories.

I don't like the plantains and the Bayer 5 in 1 did a near perfect job eliminating them, while seemingly leaving most of the clover alone.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I recently read an article about how clover seed was mixed in with grass seed on purpose a few years ago.
Then for some mysterious reason clover suddenly fell out of favor and everyone was wanting it gone from their yard.
That was probably about the time all the professional lawn treatment companies started popping up everywhere.
If you have such a company, you have to have a reason for someone to pay for your services.

My yard, has what grew naturally.
A couple years ago they did a sewer upgrade through my bottom yard, and they did sow grass seed of some variety after the job was complete. But that is the only place that was ever seeded as far as I know.

I have many dandelions, clover, wild violets as well as other stuff I can't even name that flowers. The bees love my yard and I am OK with that.

·
Super Moderator
14,471 Posts
If you want a green lawn clover interferes with those flowers that grow in it...some are white and some are yellow....easy to get rid of with a spot application of ortho Weed B Gone

·
Premium Member
7,444 Posts
Spent $27.05 on five gallons of fuel. Tractor burns approximately 1.5 gallons per hour. Nope I'm not feeding grass just to mow more often. When the grass stops growing and the wildflowers come out. The lawn turns white, blue and yellow with pretty flowers. Now why would I want to mow grass?

·
Registered
39 Posts

If I killed all the clover I wouldn't have much lawn left ! Clover is Ok with me.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Could it be (in part) because of all the CO2 in the air?
This is all anecdotal, but I'm driving from MA to VT weekly and I don't recall VT being so lush. The tree canopies are massive and many roads are a tunnel that I don't remember from five years ago.
My lawn in MA is epic this year. Super lush and we haven't had a lot of rain. Not sure the reason, but you're not alone in noticing.

·
Registered
110 Posts

View attachment 2555030
YOU CAN'T BY CRAB GRASS PREVENTER WITH OUT TURF BUILDER ANYMORE ,PUT SOME ON TWO YRS AGO AND MY LAWNS THE SAME .HAVE TO MOW IN THE HIGHEST SETTING AND THEN IT STILL LOOKS LIKE I NEED A HAY RAKE,~~OLDFART~~

1 - 20 of 27 Posts