My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying to see one of these i-series zero turn tractors. But I'd like to see one in person before I plunk down my money. I have contacted every dealer for as far away as a hundred miles and nobody has any. Is there a problem with these tractors that I should know about. The dealers all say the same thing, that people want the zero turn with the sticks and not the steering wheel models. Problem for me is I want the snow blower attachment too and you can't use that with the zero turn with the sticks. Another thing is my brochure lists a model i-1044 with a 44 inch mowing deck. They all say that the i-series only comes in either a 42 or 50 inch model. I'm thinking they discontinued the 44 in and never changed the brochure. Any thoughts? Thanks.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I saw my neighbor using one the other day. I decided it would be my next purchase in a couple of years. It was slick! There's a member on here by the name of, Toolin, who has one of these. You should check out his site. Maybe he'll post on this or you could pm him. If you're anywhere near Butler, PA there are two used ones at the local dealer.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Rick, I hear you. Of my two close by dealerships that sell lots of Cubs, I've never seen one on the floor. When I stopped in a few days ago, the dealer I bought my Z-Force from still didn't have a single (lap bar) Z-Force on the floor. Only a single S-series (steering wheel) Z-Force out in front for people to test drive. I bought my Z-Force sight unseen. Even the brochures they had in the showroom to offer where outdated. All the info I was armed with came from online.

Joel

·
1,124 Posts
The i-1044 would have came with a 44 inch deck - that's what the 44 in the model number means. But, Cub must discontinued that model as their web site only shows the ZTT-42 and ZTT-50 models.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got an e-mail from a dealer 60 miles away. He said the model with the i-1044 has been discontinued but he does have both the 42 and the 50 in stock. I'm thinking I'll be taking a ride next week to have a look at them. I'm having a hard time deciding whether I should go with the cub ztt-42 or that new Snapper NXT 23HP with the 46 inch deck. The Snapper dealer says the turning radius on the NXT is so close I may not need the zero turn capabilities. May be just his sales pitch but both machines have different advantages over each other. Decisions decisions.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
The specs look good on that Snapper. Kinda different on the looks with the patio chair looking seat and whatnot, but Snappers and Simplicitys are awesome machines. Even with the 14" turning radius, it's no 0" radius zero-turn, but it may be ideal for your conditions. It's funny, once I got into foot pedal hydrostatic I could never go back to anything else. I went a step further with a ZTR and man is that nice for grass cutting.

Joel

·
Tech Nerd Tractor Convert
1,388 Posts
I have been trying to see one of these i-series zero turn tractors. But I'd like to see one in person before I plunk down my money. I have contacted every dealer for as far away as a hundred miles and nobody has any.
[...]
Is there a problem with these tractors that I should know about.
Rickkop,

Cub used to sell a 42", 46" (not 44), and 50" deck i-Series. I didn't realize they have dropped the 46 until your posting and I checked the website. I don't think this series took off like Cub wanted so I'd guess dropping one model is a way of cutting overhead (less expensive to have less variation).

I have the i-1050 and have had no significant issues, but I do stay on top of the preventative maintenance pretty religiously. I use it to cut, vacuum, core aerate, snowplow and snowblow. See the links in my sig for examples of these.

Having steerable front wheels opened up the ability to have front attachments which is specifically why I chose the i-Series instead of a standard ZTR with lapbar and front casters. That said, I have seen postings and youtube videos about ZTRs with casters that have front attachments like a snowblade, so it can be done but I think doing so is not advisable due to having less control.

Problems I have not had myself but read about tend to be with the linkages, drive pedal travel, and steering component toughness. the first two can be chalked up to poor assembly (usually at a Big Box Store) or adjustment. As you might guess the steering mechanics is complex in this design and there are a lot of moving parts. As long as you don't ram a wheel straight into a tree or your house foundation at full speed you should be fine.

One issue I did have which I've also read of others having was front wheel alignment, but I was able to adjust this easily myself with a couple wrenches. Pictures of this in an earlier post of mine, down around Post 21.

Also the i-Series is not a "garden tractor" grade design, so don't plan on moving earth with it. It's tougher than Cub's 1000 series but not as tough as the 2000 series. It's main function is to do routine jobs quickly because it is so manueverable. It also has a wide stance and low center of gravity so it's especially good on hills where other tractors feel less stable.

There aren't a lot of i-Series owners out there compared to standard Cub models and lap-bar type ZTRs in general, so I've been keeping a list of other i-Series owners on MTF in case I had questions I could PM one of them. As of last count there were just under 30: 15 i1042's, 8 i1046's, and 5 i1050's (including myself). I can't attest that all of these people still own them. This is gathered from postings as early as April 2008.

There are quite a few threads on MTF about using an i-Series to plow or blow snow. For example Plowing Snow with a Cub i1046. You can use the MTF search feature to find more.

Not sure where in NY you are, but I'm just south of Rochester. You're welcome to come by and test drive mine sometime if that's not too far for you. PM me if you're interested.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Toolin, thanks for the advice and info. I have read many of your posts and partly why I am considering buying one of these tractor. I'm kind of split between the Snapper NXT 46 and the one I really wanted the Cub Cadet ZTT46 because I think it had the better engine. but considering the half acre lot that I have the 42 should be ok. I Don't think the size of my yard would justify they ZTT50. My only real plans are to mow and get the snowblower attachment for it. The Cub Cadet website has me a little confused and the dealers don't seem to be all that sure, probably because around these parts nobody has them. I have two questions for you about your tractor. First one is does your tractor have cruise control? Second one is about the snowblower attachment. I think yours would be a two stage. Anyway the website says the 42 excepts attachments and gives a list of them but the snowblower isn't on the list. They guy at the dealer here says you can get one but when I press him he also says it's not listed. I'd like to know for sure before I buy it. I'm located in Syracuse and I did get an e-mail from a dealer, I don't have the address right here in front of me but he's in a town in south west form here about 70 miles or so. He has a 42 and a 50 so am seriously thinking about taking some time off this week to ride out and see them. I also thought about calling Cub Cadet and see how long the 46 has been out of production. Can't have been all that long as it's listed in the bruchure I have and if I'm lucky maybe can point me to a leftover someplace. Thanks again, Rick

·
1,124 Posts
I'm not familiar with the Snapper, but if it has a 14 inch turning radius, it isn't that tight. The Cub LTX has a 12 inch turning radius, so that's an option also.

·
1,388 Posts
[...] considering the half acre lot that I have the 42 should be ok. I Don't think the size of my yard would justify they ZTT50
Yep, my lot is 1/2 acre and I can say the 50" deck is probably overkill. Plus that size deck rules out driving through a 48" door (most sheds) or putting into a 48" wide pickup bed or trailier without removing the deck, which gets easier the more times you do it but is never a picnic.

[...] I have two questions for you about your tractor. First one is does your tractor have cruise control?
Nope, but I find that the drive pedal and corrugated footpad design sort of has the same effect as cruise for me and prevents tired ankles/legs. See this post "i1050 reviews", down at post #20. That thread also has some review type comments on this model in general.

Second one is about the snowblower attachment. I think yours would be a two stage. Anyway the website says the 42 excepts attachments and gives a list of them but the snowblower isn't on the list. They guy at the dealer here says you can get one but when I press him he also says it's not listed. I'd like to know for sure before I buy it.
Ah, the snowblower.

New (Cub part 19a-126, a 2-stage) from my local dealer was going to be something like $1300. No thanks on that.

So I did some research on "compatible" attachments (MTD 190-823, aka 770-10279, was supposedly one of them) and put a "looking for a snowblower model 190-823 or equivalent" in my MTF signature. Another member spotted one on clearance at an ACE hardware store for $250 *5 hours from me*. I bought it and had it shipped for another $100. It was also a 2-stage. Long story short, it wasn't exactly compatible and I had to do some modifications of my own with a metal-cutting jigsaw, but eventually made it work.

I'm located in Syracuse and I did get an e-mail from a dealer, I don't have the address right here in front of me but he's in a town in south west form here about 70 miles or so.
Wow, 70 miles.. a bit of a stretch. What's funny about that is my local Cub dealer (Saxby Implement Corporation) is just a few miles from me, but he's 75 miles from your area. So you could actually go to my dealership way out here and it would be a wash. You might call them to see if they might still have (or can get ahold of) an i1046. Google them for the number.

He has a 42 and a 50 so am seriously thinking about taking some time off this week to ride out and see them. I also thought about calling Cub Cadet and see how long the 46 has been out of production. Can't have been all that long as it's listed in the bruchure I have and if I'm lucky maybe can point me to a leftover someplace. Thanks again, Rick
Besides asking your dealer (or mine) about finding a used one, you might try Deere's MachineFinder.com . I know a Cub is not a Deere, but believe it or not, that's where I found my i1050 (it was at a dealer in Nebraska... shipping on that bugger was a bit more than $100 I can tell you). You can find all brands of used tractors on that site. I just ran a search for used Cubs, model "i1046" and got 3 hits (see attached screenshot, modified to meet MTF attachment size limits). You can also try ZTT46 or other variations on the model.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow Toolin, that's a lot of info. You should be working for Cab Cadet. You've opened up some new areas I never new about. Thanks for the great suggestions.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok guys the search is over. Thank you for all the suggestions. I am now the proud owner of a slightly used 2007 Cub Cadet i-Series ZTT lawn tractor model i-1046. Toolin, I called your guy in Rochester and he said the 1046 had been discontinued and he didn't have one. I also checked with numerious dealers around the state. Anyway gone are the 2 hour walks behind that old Toro 21 incher for me. The local Cub dealer near me, actually less than 5 miles from my house, called me and said he had one coming in on trade. Seems he sold it 2 years ago to this guy who passed away and the i-1046 was too large for his wife to handle so he took this in on trade and sold her something smaller. I looked at it and it only has 40 hours on the hour meter and looks like new. Mulch kit and front bumper, that I was going to purchase if I ended up going with the1042, were already on this so that was another plus. He checked it out and said it needed nothing except the battery was low, I don't know, probably from sitting. Anyway he put a new battery in it, changed the oil and filters and said he would warranty it for one year bumper to bumper, labor included plus free delivery. And for as long as I own this, when I need to have it brought in for service, he provides free pick up and delivery. Yes that's right, free pick up and delivery for as long as I own it. You won't get that kind of service from the HD and the other box stores. Price paid $1600.00+tax. Now am just waiting for the grass to grow. Rick

·
1,388 Posts
I am now the proud owner of a slightly used 2007 Cub Cadet i-Series ZTT lawn tractor model i-1046.
Good deal.. welcome to the club! Hope it measures up to your expectations. Of course now you'll have to post some pictures...
:wwp:

I'd say 40 hours in 3 years is pretty low mileage. Free pickup/dropoff is pretty nice too.. my local dealer doesn't offer that.

I know you said your dealer did a once-over before selling it to you, but I'd still hit each zerk with a grease gun just to be safe. If your dealer already did it, it shouldn't take more than a few pumps on each one before the grease oozes out.

Did they provide the owners manual with it? If not you can download a PDF and print it. The tractor's service manual is another matter.. I think the only way to get that is to cough up $25 (which I haven't bothered to do yet). Note the *engine* service manual is available free from Kohler.

Now that you've got the machine, I'd suggest keeping an eye out for your snowblower attachment early. Come the snowy season either the prices will be higher or the selection fewer.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
:thThumbsU :thThumbsU sounds like you got a good deal and a dealer. slkpk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good deal.. welcome to the club! Hope it measures up to your expectations. Of course now you'll have to post some pictures...
:wwp:

I'd say 40 hours in 3 years is pretty low mileage. Free pickup/dropoff is pretty nice too.. my local dealer doesn't offer that.

I know you said your dealer did a once-over before selling it to you, but I'd still hit each zerk with a grease gun just to be safe. If your dealer already did it, it shouldn't take more than a few pumps on each one before the grease oozes out.

Did they provide the owners manual with it? If not you can download a PDF and print it. The tractor's service manual is another matter.. I think the only way to get that is to cough up $25 (which I haven't bothered to do yet). Note the *engine* service manual is available free from Kohler.

Now that you've got the machine, I'd suggest keeping an eye out for your snowblower attachment early. Come the snowy season either the prices will be higher or the selection fewer.
I have downloaded the owners manual and the engine manual from Kohler but for the time being I'm going to wait on that service manual. Greasing the zerk fittings will be done before my next mow. I think I read that the zerk fittings on the mower deck should be done after every ten hours of mower? Does that sound right? Is this how often you all do this. Thanks for the heads up on the snowblower attachment. I've been looking for a good used one but I feel there may be few if any available. I'm no computer wizard but will try at posting a couple of pictures. Rick

Attachments

·
1,388 Posts
I think I read that the zerk fittings on the mower deck should be done after every ten hours of mower? Does that sound right?
She looks nice a clean in the pics!

Here are my maintenance notes for the i1050, your needs might vary slightly due to model differences. Most of this came right out of the owners manual, some from suggestions on MTF. I found it easier to follow in summarized form.

Deck spindle lube is shown as every 10 hours. I do it every time i take the deck off to clean the underside, which tends to be less than 10 hours.

Cub i1050 maintenance:

Oil
change oil and filter every 100 hours
use wt - Below 32*F: 5w20, 5w30, Above 0*F: 10w30

lube
Use Cub 251H EP grease or #2 lithium

lube spots:
Every 10 hrs of mowing:
- deck spindles
- deck idler bracket
Every 25 hrs:
- front wheel bearings
- steering axle pivot bars
- steering arms (see manual p.22)
- steering gears and linkage
Every 50 hrs
- deck front ball wheels
Once a season
- rear axles and rims (w all-purpose grease)
- all pivot points and linkages (w light oil)

Tires
rear: 10psi. Front: 14 psi. 25 psi max any.

Deck
spindle bolt torque: 70-90 ftlb

cooling
Blower housing and cooling shrouds: clean every 100 hrs.

hydros
sealed - no maint (!)

Belts
Trans drive belt: have dealer do. Req's removing linkage and readjust.
Deck belt

plugs
regap (.030 in / 0.76 mm) or replace every 100 hrs
torque to: 18-22 ft lbs

air filter ("pre cleaner")
wash and reoil (engine oil) every 25 hrs (or more if dusty)
replace every 100 hrs or annually
paper element: check every 50 hrs, replace 100 hrs or annually

fuel filter - check every 100 hrs.

Battery charging
- min 1 hr at 6 amps, do in ventilated area

Mow blades
Sharpen frequently
Make sure tips align with adjacent blades, both ends

·
Registered
10 Posts
Congrats Rickkop !

I have the EXACT same tractor. I was probably as excited as you seem in the beginning too, but have come to the realization that this tractor has many downfalls. Whatever you do... DO NOT buy the bagger attachment. It is pretty much worthless as it clogs up with the smallest amount of grass clippings. I have even gone as far as spraying the chute with cooking oil (as suggested by others) and it works for about 15 minutes.

Seems like my issues are vacuum related. I have tried 3 different sets of blades, power washed the bags for airflow, cleaned the underside of the deck and finally sprayed the chute with Pam. Nothing seems to work. It's almost as if I need to give it more throttle to increase the RPM's, but the throttle is already at its highest point?

My next option will be to try some Gatorblades, remove the bagger and go back to mulching. Oh well, what's another $75...

I do like the zero turn aspect and it is a comfortable ride... only wish i could cut grass with less hassle.

JAB

1 - 20 of 35 Posts