My Tractor Forum banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
If a JB is rated for 200# capacity, Id stop there. Driving it into the ground to excavate a hill side will be putting many times that much weight on it and where its mounted through shock load.

Like punching something vs. placing your fist against the same target then pushing. You do much less damage to your hand but your target is less affected.

Now, having mulch or a load of top soil delivered via truck and scooping that without diving in hard would be ok. Or even running a tiller across the ground and scooping up the loosened soil should do alright if done gently.

·
Registered
100 Posts
FLHusqGT, I looked very hard at the XT2 and XT3. Having a Cub zero Turn for the last 10 years with no problems other than spindles, I really wanted to get another Cub. The XT3 priced itself out quickly and the specs of the XT2 and the TS354 were close. The Husqvarna won out because of the transaxle. I am sure that is the main reason some people decide on the Husqvarna over the Cub. I have burned up a couple of hydros pulling stuff around the farm and did not want that to happen again. A front lift never was considered. I had that covered with my JD 2025R and FEL. So far this little tractor has surpassed my expectations and it's ability to pull around anything I have asked it to do on the farm has been exceptional. I can honestly say I have not experienced a single problem with it since I bought it, unless you consider forgetting about the fuel reserve switch and having to lug a gas can from the barn to the back pasture a problem. Brain farts happen and I can attest to that daily. I still use the old Cub RZT54 for most of my mowing. With 3 new spindles this year, she is cutting grass with the best of them.

I understand your frustration as I have bought garden tractors in the past that haven't worked out. I used to have Sears SS16 and a Case 446 with wheel weights, suitcase weights, lugged tires, dually tire setup, etc. with FEL's, snow blowers, front and rear blades and tillers. I wanted to push these little machines for all they were worth 30-40 years ago and they could take it. My first 9N I bought for less than the current price of a set of lug tires and wheel weights had a FEL on it and that absolutely changed how I felt about garden tractors. Now they are used to mow occasionally but primarily they are used to pull things around without having to use the big green one.

For what you are doing (or want to do) with your GT, there are quite a few smaller SCUT's available that would fit the bill perfectly. A good used unit with a FEL would probably not be much more than you have already put into your current Franken-varna project. These weren't around years ago when I was trying to economically avoid the inevitable and once you get the taste of them it may change your mind, too. Of course you could also jump up to the X700 series and be wonderfully happy.

And by the way, I do not work for the company, never even spoke with them. However, I am a representative of the company because I bought their brand and think they make a great product for what it is intended. My tractor is still as stock as it was the day I bought it and it will continue to provide me years and years of service, I hope.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
FLHusqGT, I looked very hard at the XT2 and XT3. Having a Cub zero Turn for the last 10 years with no problems other than spindles, I really wanted to get another Cub. The XT3 priced itself out quickly and the specs of the XT2 and the TS354 were close. The Husqvarna won out because of the transaxle. I am sure that is the main reason some people decide on the Husqvarna over the Cub. I have burned up a couple of hydros pulling stuff around the farm and did not want that to happen again. A front lift never was considered. I had that covered with my JD 2025R and FEL. So far this little tractor has surpassed my expectations and it's ability to pull around anything I have asked it to do on the farm has been exceptional. I can honestly say I have not experienced a single problem with it since I bought it, unless you consider forgetting about the fuel reserve switch and having to lug a gas can from the barn to the back pasture a problem. Brain farts happen and I can attest to that daily. I still use the old Cub RZT54 for most of my mowing. With 3 new spindles this year, she is cutting grass with the best of them.

I understand your frustration as I have bought garden tractors in the past that haven't worked out. I used to have Sears SS16 and a Case 446 with wheel weights, suitcase weights, lugged tires, dually tire setup, etc. with FEL's, snow blowers, front and rear blades and tillers. I wanted to push these little machines for all they were worth 30-40 years ago and they could take it. My first 9N I bought for less than the current price of a set of lug tires and wheel weights had a FEL on it and that absolutely changed how I felt about garden tractors. Now they are used to mow occasionally but primarily they are used to pull things around without having to use the big green one.

For what you are doing (or want to do) with your GT, there are quite a few smaller SCUT's available that would fit the bill perfectly. A good used unit with a FEL would probably not be much more than you have already put into your current Franken-varna project. These weren't around years ago when I was trying to economically avoid the inevitable and once you get the taste of them it may change your mind, too. Of course you could also jump up to the X700 series and be wonderfully happy.

And by the way, I do not work for the company, never even spoke with them. However, I am a representative of the company because I bought their brand and think they make a great product for what it is intended. My tractor is still as stock as it was the day I bought it and it will continue to provide me years and years of service, I hope.
I appreciate your response Wiley.

The old days of overbuilding do seem to have disappeared, the late 90's or early 2000's? I will say I have been looking at the SCUT design's and it seems they are still overbuilding them (a good thing), because power seems to be less than the chassis ability? I think this is a good practice too.

My "Franken-varna project" (around my house we use the same term :tango_face_smile:). After the initial rebuild with JBJR up and running, The way the steel was put in transformed its usability beyond what I use. I have put over 100hrs on the machine with sole JBJR use in many applications. I just started using the fab deck again 4hrs ish, and I have made mention many times that deck is powerful. I had been using my little Ariens (gear drive) to mow during the past year, and I do recognize that my lawn season may be a bit longer than most, but it works fine. The fab deck though, has wow factor.

My JBJR has been used for many things. This post got me thinking about what, It's funny how when you have it you just use it, and can't think of not having it. Many times I'm using it to pick up yard tools, move potted plants around the yard as honey doo's, I moved my utility trailer to a different spot and the little concrete pavers I parked it on just went in the bucket and (I don't dump them, they might break) put them in a pile for reuse somewhere else.
I used the teeth to break some potato vines (pull back), it's just handy like that and the Kawaski just humms along. The weights are enough, though it seems like the more weight the better it works (too a point of course). I have used it to level a very large pad and when I have dirt hauled in by the dump truck, I use a shovel to load the bucket until the dirt pile is approx 1' tall, but thats still a lot easier than using a wheel barrel and shoveling dirt up high to get in the wheel barrel. In other words, the tractor has been a real pleasure to operate the past year.

The extra modifications I do are to improve things but I usually preface not necessary, just if you want. I will still do those, I have more coming, for those interested, there fun to do, not always a success, but fun to do.

My intention has never been to insult owners, but it appears I have, I'm a Soldier, I won't quit fighting, but the forum members I have grown to enjoy will not be my casualties, and this forum will not be the battlefield. The battlefield belongs with Husqvarna Corporate on their door solely. I apologize for anyone feeling insulted by my Be ware post's.

Very Respectfully,

:tango_face_smile:

41 - 44 of 44 Posts