My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at Home Depot to buy some small items and on the way out I always stop and look at the new JD's out front. Today there were several riding electric lawnmowers. They said they would mow up to 2 acres. I know this isn't the place to talk about "Just" a mower but I do believe this will spread rapidly for people who just want a lawnmower and nothing else except a small trailer. I would expect JD to come out with one soon. Of all the things that a battery device does best, it is not continuous usage. Once a week is perfect and it will always be charged. No gas or messy oil to fiddle with. Just sharpening the blades and keeping it plugged in. What do you think?

·
Premium Member
9,166 Posts
When I was looking for a push mower this spring I considered the electric models. The thing that turned me off is no one was warrantying the batteries for more than a year or two, and the batteries are expensive.

·
2,108 Posts
We never really thought that we would see an electric car...and although most are not really feasible, the Teslas are luxury cars and extremely well built,,,there is a lot to be said for not going out with gas cans and filling up and storing them and checking oil and having trouble in cold weather...Once in a while I see GE electric tractors for sale...not cheap ...and they all need the same part...that I don't think is any longer available....the battery.....as car batteries progress so will the tractors...in my mind I don;t think we will see an electric tractor for farm work...but for s piece of property that is a few acres I think it is a possibility....there was a post on here a while back about an electric farm tractor that had a really long extension cord with a robotic system to control and manage that wire...I don't remember what voltage was necessary, but it had to be more than 440...electric is also a lot quieter than a gas engine.....but I think I would miss that steady sound

·
Registered
274 Posts
Here in my "neck of the woods" regular gasoline at the pump averages $2.60 gallon. So, lets say the 'old" lawn gasoline tractors will get you one gallon a acre times the three acres the motor runs on the one tank...averaging three gals. at $2.60 a gal. equals $7.80 per week of mowing. Some areas of the country we mow seven months....total.. 28 weeks times the $7.80 comes to $218.40 per year. With that being said... lets assume the new "Electric Lawn Tractor" will mow the same three acres on one charge...and the battery will last two years, and that battery will cost $250.00 to replace. This cost factor isn't a blessing disguise, but, it one was saying we would be helping the climate and saving the environment and planet from disaster.

I would consider buying one if it would give the old 2012 JD Z710A with 54" deck a run for it's money.

·
Super Moderator
8,179 Posts
The electric 1 series concept wad unveiled across the pond this week... I like my diesels.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
motorcycle cowboy
762 Posts
Y'all can have those electric vehicles and mowers. I like my gas and diesel engines.

·
Premium Member
1,441 Posts
Battery life is reduce significantly with excess heat and cold. Many found that out last summer and winter when they got to work and could not make it home. I am also not sold on the fake conservation and the lack of road use tax.
As for the electric John Deere tractor. Only 1/2 mile of electric cord. Now explain that one to some Kansas wheat framer that needs to put in an electrical outlet every 1/2 mile. By the way there is no operator seat on the tractor so are they good to teach it how to unplug a 1/2 mile away and plug it self back in?

·
Registered
1,437 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Y'all can have those electric vehicles and mowers. I like my gas and diesel engines.
Agreed!

I'm all for respecting the environment but this "climate change" / "go green" thing has gone too far, and for mostly political reasons at that. Just consider what the last major event to happen to the Earth was. The ice age. Well what goes up must come down, and vice versa, so.... my personal theory is that the Earth is still warming up from the ice age. Eventually something like a massive volcanic eruption will block part or all of the sunlight off and it'll get real cold again. As with everything in nature, we're just at one point in a cycle. I'm 35 and ain't buying the hype, but unfortunately a lot of the younger folks have been brainwashed into believing it. Don't get me wrong, I am not for dumping sewage into the river or anything, but pollution controls on an engine which compromise the engine's reliability!? Ethanol gasoline that sucks up water and gets less MPG!? Come on! Even a weed whacker has a catalytic converter now!

Anyway, as for those electric mowers and tractors... sure, for some people that may be all they need and most of them won't concern themselves with the cost of a new battery either, since they're probably planning on replacing the entire mower or tractor in a few years anyway.

I keep my vehicles and equipment until they're no longer economical to keep operating, so... yup, no electric vehicles for me. Also, I usually enjoy working on my engines and don't mind the "messy" oil or "smelly" fuel!

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't think most homeowners that need to cut their grass are considering the climate. I have a backpack blower and gas string trimmer that I never use any longer because I have electric ones now that are much quieter and very lightweight. I only use them once a week or less and they are always completely charged, plus I have several extra batteries. The life of the battery pack will determine what the value of the mower is. If they last ten years, most people will be satisfied with that because most of the big box store gasoline tractors are not much better longevity wise. The one in the video Tony sent is a great looking tractor and has all the features of a modern diesel. Life and replacement cost of the battery pack will be the deciding factors. All I can say is I hope JD does better on the instrument cluster than they have in the past!

·
Rebuilding my First JD GT
3,302 Posts
Electric motorized equipment could be a nice thing. The current battery technology is not quite there IMO but is coming along and just like anything else, demand always pushes the technology to evolve at a rapid pace.

I personally would like not having to worry about idle times or overheating tractors or fear of high hour machines getting long in the tooth and burning oil excessively and throwing rods from poor lubrication or carelessness like not even checking the oil could be a thing of the past.

Quieter motors would be a benefit with using equipment early in the morning or late in the evening for areas where loud tractors at those hours are frowned upon.

I like the idea of being able to only use the stored energy when needed. I do a lot of idling for long periods while I get on and off of the tractor securing things to the loader or unhooking from the loader. So I am always concerned of overheating. Then if I turn the tractor on and off all day I have to worry about starter burning out early.

There are a lot of pro’s to electric vehicles and not having to maintain an oil based engine is going to be a real game changer come the day you can get 10 or more run time hours out of the equipment before needing to recharge or do a fresh charged battery swap. Two batteries would be nice to have one charging while the other is in use. Solar power is coming along too. The more people buy into it the faster it will evolve and only get better. Electric motors have so much torque it’s not even fare to compare the power advantages over fossil fueled machines. I’m too poor to even worry about it now but I think once the technology evolves and stabilizes enough the price will come down and more people will get on board. It’s only a matter of time. AI is on it’s way too. Scary but exciting times we are living in for sure.

Anyone who has ever lived in high populated areas know very well the consequences of burning fossil fuels and dealing with smog issues. Smog is a real problem out here in California. When I can see the dirty dingy air I am breathing it bothers me to think what kind of damage is it doing to my health?

Similar to Rudy, I also bought a new brushless Dewalt 20v Li battery powered drill which led to the purchase of a brushless electric weed eater and hand held leaf blower combo. I had the hedge trimmer and liked it a lot but returned it to the seller on eBay because the motor was making an odd sound. Besides not having the 20v brushless hedge trimmer, I could not be happier with all of these tools and if money ways not a problem I’d buy more. I have 2x 5ah batteries and two other batteries that came with the equipment when purchased. I would not go back to messing with 2 cycle leaky gas weed eaters or leaf blowers. Electric Chain saws are just about there too. Not to mention mixing two cycle oil ratios or having to worry about weather or not it will start today is a thing of the past. Dang I’m out of gas, no problem I don’t need gas when it’s electric.

·
Premium Member
1,441 Posts
I have found nothing on the web with any stated info on the tractor other than the posted picture here and the 48 volt 4 hour run time. if that makes it a wonderful machine I don't know how. By the way any of you diehard electric vehicle people considered what will happen when these prized wonders have exceeded their battery life cycles? I have yet to find anyone even willing to take power tool lithium's for recycle. Now think of the problems these supersized battery wonders will present.

·
motorcycle cowboy
762 Posts
I have found nothing on the web with any stated info on the tractor other than the posted picture here and the 48 volt 4 hour run time. if that makes it a wonderful machine I don't know how. By the way any of you diehard electric vehicle people considered what will happen when these prized wonders have exceeded their battery life cycles? I have yet to find anyone even willing to take power tool lithium's for recycle. Now think of the problems these supersized battery wonders will present.
You will see illegal battery dumps just like illegal tire dumps.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Next month (December) I will become a young age of 90 years. I've Been There and see many changes in life... Radio to television, Outdoor toilets to Indoors, Bathing in a tub on the back porch to one in the home, kerosene lighting to electric light bulbs, electric amped motors to battery packs, and most of all the old reel type mowers to the now modern gasoline powered lawn riders.

So, to the ones here that don't believe the earth is in a radical environmental change, I will say...live long enough and witness it.

At a young in all the many church servies I attended, if you didn't live my God rules God would return and take you away. That doesn't stand today, as Man himself will destroy the earth that we know.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Electric Chain saws are just about there too.
I bought an Echo 58V chainsaw 3 years ago and no longer own a gas saw. Part of this is I retired from woodburning but the reality is the 58V does everything I need to maintain/improve my 3 plus acres with ease and a lot less hassle. While if JD has accomplished this with the new platform remains to be seen, it is only a matter of time. That said, I fully expect there will be a diesel garden tractor sitting in my garage for a very long time...likely the one that is sitting there now.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I personally would like not having to worry about idle times or overheating tractors or fear of high hour machines getting long in the tooth and burning oil excessively and throwing rods from poor lubrication or carelessness like not even checking the oil could be a thing of the past.
Not quite. Electric motors need maintenance too and can also fail at high hours or even low hours due to inadequate lubrication (some do take oil, other require grease) or lack of cooling or just plain neglected maintenance. If an AC motor is used then the drive will be an inverter type and those require maintenance as well in the form of coolant changes if liquid cooled, and air filter cleaning or replacement if air cooled. And no drive is immune to failure by far as the output transistors age and begin leaking current, various sensors fail, cooling fans burn out, coolant pumps fail, etc.

In other words... there's no free lunch and everything is a trade-off, but thankfully we have a choice! :trink39:

You will see illegal battery dumps just like illegal tire dumps.
Sadly I'm afraid you're right and unlike tires, batteries WILL damage the environment (groundwater) wherever they're dumped. Not to mention illegal dumps are an eyesore.

So, to the ones here that don't believe the earth is in a radical environmental change, I will say...live long enough and witness it.
I never said the climate wasn't changing :tango_face_wink:
I said it's not entirely caused by humans.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Electric is here and it is here to stay. However, the application is not competing with the love of this particular forum. I have one property that has all gas equipment and one all-electric. The city property that has electric lawn mower, leaf blower, string trimmer, and snowblower is only .7 acres. The self-propelled mower handles the hills and lifting blades like a champ. The blower is powerful as the plug in variety but a little less than my Makita 4 stroke backpack. The snowblower doesn't care if it's minus 25 or 32 outside it'll take care of the three-car drive x 65 feet on a single charge. Mind you it isn't a beast going through snowplow snot but it'll throw pretty wet snow well enough to be practical. The best part is that I can do it while not disturbing my next-door neighbor having a back yard picnic.

I wouldn't even consider electric for my other property. Many have you have hit the nail on the head. The typical GT and LT users are not just mowing. They find utility with their units and it'll be 8+ years before we start creeping into the loader, aerator, spreader, etc... capabilities on an electric rider of any sorts. Even that is probably very optimistic.

I have made a few exceptions at the lake property. I bought an electric chainsaw from Milwaukee. It is a fantastic addition to my Stihls. Just pick it up and cut, very powerful, lots of life per charge. I fell a 45' Silver Maple two weeks ago. I almost processed the entire thing on one charge. Probably an hour and a half of solid cutting.

So yeah the future has electric in it. But I wouldn't feel threatened. As for recycling the larger cells... this is very common in MN. I see people dropping them off all the time at Batteries Plus, some manufacturers have credit assistance for your replacement ones. This will get more prevalent because they have a lot of recyclability.
Essentially as volumes increase a core charge like with large cell batteries will be instituted.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Electric motored anything is probably good IF it serves the need. Remember, NECESSITY is the mother of invention, not politics! If you let politics guide you, soon you will be hopelessly lost.

Lithium Ion batteries are inherently unstable and require careful management to avoid potential fire or explosion. Separation of the electrodes is critical. Physical or internal damage or poor construction multiplies this risk.
“Lithium-ion battery technology is
not intrinsically safe. Short circuit,
overcharge, over-discharge, crush,
and high temperature can lead to
thermal runaway, fire, and
explosion” UL Laboratories

Battery disposal problems have just started to appear. A Tesla owner who crashed his Tesla into a tree, caught fire, and required a special tank to douse the battery fire and prevent re ignition, is now unable to find any disposal firm to take it. Including the Disposal Partner Tesla uses. I believe that this will become a major issue going forward.

Climate Change? IMO this is the biggest political hoax ever devised. Climate (thankfully) has been constantly changing for over a billion years. Mankind' presence here historically MIGHT appear as a dim flash in a back water wood somewhere in the overall scheme of things. Call it what you like, God, or Nature determines what the earth looks like or if it even continues. We have so inflated our egos, more in some circles than others, it is simply audacious to think that our stay on this planet is anything but a blink in the evolution of everything.

Now, someone please help me down off this soap box before I fall on my face.:tango_face_wink:

·
Registered
274 Posts
For twenty four years I own a gas powered Craftsman Water Pressure machine 8HP. 3200 PSI that is hard to start. I need a hospital stay after trying to start the devil, and I still have it. Probably can't give it away. So, two years ago I decided to buy a electric model. I think it is made in Japan, and it has 2800 PSI. I just connect the water hose and plug it in and it will run that Craftsman model out the door so to speak. So there you have it, a electric model outdoing a gas powered one. Enough said....for now.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Yes, my Craftsman 2400 psi is a real hard starter too. 7 hp I think, an odd number, not sure whose engine it is. 3 years ago, I bought a Simpson 3400 psi with a Honda engine. It starts with one maybe two pulls. Simpson is the best washer I've used.

To me, electric and water just shouldn't be that close, especially with me in the mix.

1 - 20 of 173 Posts