My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Red Tractor Fan
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today, amazingly enough, my wife gave the ok to pick up one of those shelter tent deal's (Harbor Freight had them on sale for $199 today.

http://www.harborfreight.com/portable-garage-42211.html

I have plans for a storage shed about this big down the road, but it's going to need a permit and a good chunk of cash to put up. But I really would like to get three tractor's and a rototiller out of my garage so I can put the Jeep back in there and maybe even work on something!

The best part is the guy tried to sell me the shelter with a "Insiders Club discount" for $179.99 ($29.99 for the club) I thought about it, but declined anyway. So the guy (A manager, I think) said, "you know what... I am going to just give you the membership so you can see if you like it" How can I not agree to that??!! It's good for a year so who knows? Looking at my invoice, what he did was to knock the shelter down to $169.99 and sold me the insider plan for $29.99 (so it cost the same as the $199.99 coupon I had) so the entire thing cost me the same, and I now have the Iniser club for a year.:thThumbsU

I am off next week, so I can get everything cleaned up and moved around into the new shelter. :thThumbsU

Now I have placed to HIDE STUFF so the wife may not see it! :trink40:

·
Super Moderator
32,732 Posts
Sounds like a prett good deal. Let me know how it holds up over the winter. We get hit pretty hard here with lake effect and I wouldn't mind starting out with my tractor in one of those vs being outside the whole winter with a tarp over it!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Cool...the toys need shelter..especially after all the work you put into that MF:fing32:

Tip: Make sure it looks full from day 1. That way she ain't gonna smell a rat when it is full :trink40:

·
Red Tractor Fan
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will update every now and then about how it holds up. One nice thing is that HF sells new canvas kits for like $79.00 (less the easy to find with Google 20% off coupon for a total of $63.00)

This will go up against my garage on the shady side, so I hope that helps.
When I build the add on car-port style enclosed shed, I want to match the roof line, but about 75% smaller than the end of the house. It will have a peaked roof to match the house pitch, and a 5' wide sliding track door on the front. I may make this as two 2.5' doors that are centered and slide to each side so I can have a centered door. The final build size will be about 10' wide by 20' long. This will require some more time to build, and cash to finance! For now, I hope to get a good year or two out of this...

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
i just built a shelter logic garage for mine today. land owner garage. i really like it. i'd like to see how they both hold up to winter.

·
My True Colors-Red+Silver
728 Posts
SCORE! I might have to go back to harbor freight now. Last time we had the power go out, and we had to leave before we could buy what we needed because my sister's horse was sick. Because of that obstacle now the list is longer.

Oh, and that shed design sounds good. I might borrow that door part is i ever put walls on my tractor shed.

·
1K Posts and climbing
1,666 Posts
Today, amazingly enough, my wife gave the ok to pick up one of those shelter tent deal's (Harbor Freight had them on sale for $199 today.

http://www.harborfreight.com/portable-garage-42211.html

I have plans for a storage shed about this big down the road, but it's going to need a permit and a good chunk of cash to put up. But I really would like to get three tractor's and a rototiller out of my garage so I can put the Jeep back in there and maybe even work on something!

The best part is the guy tried to sell me the shelter with a "Insiders Club discount" for $179.99 ($29.99 for the club) I thought about it, but declined anyway. So the guy (A manager, I think) said, "you know what... I am going to just give you the membership so you can see if you like it" How can I not agree to that??!! It's good for a year so who knows? Looking at my invoice, what he did was to knock the shelter down to $169.99 and sold me the insider plan for $29.99 (so it cost the same as the $199.99 coupon I had) so the entire thing cost me the same, and I now have the Iniser club for a year.:thThumbsU

I am off next week, so I can get everything cleaned up and moved around into the new shelter. :thThumbsU

Now I have placed to HIDE STUFF so the wife may not see it! :trink40:
Nice. Bought a 20x10 out of Costco a few years back. Other than replacing tarps a couple of times, and getting blown away twice, it has held up well.

Do your self a favour, if you get Alot of wind, I would anchor it down. We sat our 20x10 on top of Douglas fursand nailed it to them. It is somewhat sheltered right now, but left the ends loose enough, that it does not act like a giant kite.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I bought one of these and its headed into its second winter, It took some awful winds and I thought for sure it would be in the neighbors yard by morning:banghead3
But it is still standing, the only problem is the stiching on the front zipper has let go in a couple of small areas.
It is anchored to the ground on all four corners.

·
Banned
465 Posts
I'd say that you made out, Firefyter-Emt. I was considering one of those tent-garages, but, not sure how they hold up. Maybe one day.......

Bob

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
I had a similar tent that I picked up at BJ's, and it collapsed...

Quadruple check all of your pipe connections, make sure the tarp leads are snug, and anchor the whole thing down so it doesn't fly away to the land of Oz. After awhile the pull strings that tension the tarp become loose and can create a belly that traps rain and snow. The weight rips the tarp, bends the aluminum and collapses it, that's what killed mine. The accumulation of 56 inches of snow here last year was the final nail in the coffin.

I'm not trying to freak you out, just check it every once in awhile and keep an eye out. You might have to "tweak" it a few times for better strength.

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
I considered getting a 'tent' similiar to that one. Then I checked in with the local building department. They suggested anchoring it down at each corner and the half way on each side. They additionally frowned on the installation if it were going in the front or side yards. Back yard, hidden from view, was acceptable. And no building permit needed since it was moveable.

Initially they said that it had to have a '15 foot set back' from the lot line but they changed their minds when I told then it had no foundation in the ground.

How many machines can you fit inside your new 'purchase'?

·
Red Tractor Fan
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Now I have placed to HIDE STUFF so the wife may not see it!
Hmmm...to bad he left the post up for his wife to read. Now this cool shelter might be used for some of the KIDS toys! Sorry Sweetie, but your wife has hijacked your thread!! Here are some "smilies" for you: :praying: :crybaby: :banghead3 :fing20: and my favorite: :fing32:

·
22,182 Posts
Uh oh! :Disgus:

·
Red Tractor Fan
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Busted by my darling wife! Oh well, I will have to hide them somewhere else now!

As for the shelter, it can fit 6 garden tractors easy... I will have my roto-tiller, the John Deere, my son's little MF-8 and my MF12 in there. Plus the plow's, mower decks and maybe the kids bikes... I am nervous about the bikes becase I know my kids and I really don't want to damage the tractor's!
Maybe I need another small garden shed to place the garden tools and the kids bikes! Yea, that's the ticket for sure!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Great deal! It should hold up to our CT winters. Get some construction spikes to hold down the base plates - the foot long ones. They work every time.

I'm not even going to comment on your wife bustin' you. CT is a small state and it may become contagious!!!! If my wife only knew the tools I have - oh boy!!!!

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
My town's building dept. was thinking more along the line of the screw in type anchors with cables running over the top. They didn't want it flying into the next county with our 'ocean' breezes.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,558 Posts
I drive some green fence posts or pipe 3' into the ground to anchor my canopys....

Our town hasn't banned "tent" garages ,but have been contemplating it..for awhile they popped up everywhere like mushrooms,and some of the more yuppish snobs in town whined to the selectman they were "unsightly" and detracted from property values..and they had some backing from other local towns that felt the same way,plus a few people were injured when they had a BBQ under one when it started raining one day,and the tarp covering it caught fire and melted onto many of the patrons!..after heavy snow collapsed several of them,the town was considering making them "illegal"..they also dont like people using storage shipping containers or old aluminum truck bodies as sheds either,but so far they haven't banned them..(I have a 12' reffer body in the backyard for a shed with a lean-to roof atached to it thats 10'x24' long--and still dont have enough room!..)

I want to use my canopy frames but not with the tarps that they came with,instead I wanted to put some 1x3" wood strapping across the pipes and screw some sheet metal I got from an old swimming pool to them for the roof,or some plastic roofing I have-- and use OSB board for the sides..but that'll cost me about 100 bucks,and according to the building department ,anything with a "foundation" or anchored to the ground is considered "permanent" and taxable..they are also considering taxing "temporary" shelters if they dont decide to ban them all together...so mine are sitting outside ooking like skeletons with no covers on them...:(

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
It looks like you have made up my mind on these Firefyter-Emt, I was not sure of how it would work out but I think I'll pull the trigger now thanks.

How is it working out any problems or weak points ?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts