My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just signed up the other day and the reason so is I need help with a Wisconsin w4-1770 4 cylinder motor on my Vermeer 630B stump grinder and after searching for an answer on your site
I need to post my question to see if I might gain some insight to resolve my problem with it. can I post my questions and if so where would you think would be the best place to do so as your site has so many places to choose I don't know where to start.
My problem with it is;
It was just rebuilt at a machine shop by an older man who has done many of these Wisconsin motors in the past (but his health is not the best and I have to question his thought process)
but the motor came back to me (long block) for me to finish putting together and I was able to start it after rebuilding the carburetor and I noticed that one side cylinders were not getting hot and had spark but not getting fuel hence rebuilding the carburetor and checking for any blockages all was fine and then taking the manifold off I checked the vacuum and found that that side did not have the the same pull has the good side which I think was sucking all the gas to the one side keeping the other side from getting any and there is my problem not enough gas not enough vacuum on the side that's not firing. plugs on the side that's firing are tan the other problem side are white like new with no smell of gas.
I don't know if it is a timing issue or valve or what. I need help ASAP.
Thank and please let me know if and where I can post to get help.
Mike C.

·
Minding my P's & Q's
1,979 Posts
BTW This is the right place.
Someone will come along soon that will have some ideas.

·
Registered
4,790 Posts
While looking for peekshures, I found:

Wisconsin Engines | W4-1770 Engine Repair Specification

Whole lotta stuff on one page, and access to PDF files, too.

I'd suspect an intake leak. You can check with propane and a piece of rubber tubing to direct the UNLIT flow of propane near the gasketing areas. You have found a leak when the engine perks up(running at idle).
If not that, then the valve clearance adjustment would be my next item to check.
Being on the down side of life, I understand it is possible to check the valve adjustment twice on one side, and neglect the other. Ending up with a spare gasket is also possible when done with assembly. Doing such gets easier and easier every day.
I think a leaking head gasket would announce itself, but its noise could be masked.
tom

1 - 6 of 6 Posts