My Tractor Forum banner

I need help finding/fabricating jackshaft housing for Yazoo/Kees

476 Views 7 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  nick1254
I purchased an old Yazoo/Kees 1999 ZT Max 61" ztr model is ZKH61252 last year. It's in great shape and I've got it running well, but soon after buying and fixing it the jackshaft locked up. Replacement spindle housings weren't available so I replaced the spindles with new ones from a kit a dealer was selling online. It worked great for the blade spindles but on my model the jacksjaft spindle is different. Where as the blade spindles bolt on below the deck the jackshaft housing bolts on from the top to a plate that has a section cut out of the deck. So I ended up buying a new jackshaft shaft and bearings and am using he housing that's in poor shape. It got me through the summer but the last couple of times I mowed, turning on the blades nearly killed the motor so I think the bearings are already going bad due to the housing wear.

So anyway I'm looking for a way to fix it. This mower is very close to the Exmarks and Huskavarna's from the same time period. However the Husavarna's is no longer available either and Exmark used an open U shaped bracket to hold the bearings and shaft, that bolts to the back of the deck. Last picture shows my jackshaft housing next to one of the spindles.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive wheel system Gas Auto part
Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Gas Engineering Auto part
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
You could probably get a machine shop to fab it, it would be pretty straightforward to do out of 2 pieces that are then welded together...
Thanks Dave_R, I think that's a good suggestion. I'll check around to see if I can find a machine shop that's willing to work on it. I was thinking I might ask them to check out the housing bearing housing (? not sure the correct term) is square, if not possibly machining it to the next larger bearing size. The bearings pressed in very tight so housing may be okay, I think the big problem was I couldn't find the correct bushing that fits between the inner bearing races so I had to mostly guess how long to trim the one that I found. I'm guessing it was either too long or too short causing the bearings to wear quickly.
Yes, you want that center bushing to be slightly too long, so when the assembly is tightened, the outer race of the top bearing goes again the ridge of the machined spot for it in the housing, the inner races of the top and bottom races press against the center bushing, and the outer race of the bottom bearing "floating" in the machined spot for it in the housing (so it's not pressing against the ridge in the housing). From the spindles I've worked on, the bearings are just a close fit, not a press fit, so when the bore in the housing is cleaned, and with a new bearing, you can push it in/out by hand, but it doesn't rattle around.
Well it's interesting, the old races were stuck very tight despite the bearings being destroyed. It was very difficult to get the new ones in as well, used my press and it took a fair amount of pressure before they seated. I don't think there would have been metal transfer, the housing appears to be aluminium. You can see the old center bushing, it wasn't helpful for measurements. I'm pretty sure this is how they came out, completely dry and no grease in the housing at all, the other outer race was still stuck in the housing at this point.
Automotive tire Rim Automotive wheel system Nickel Jewellery
You want to clean the housing so at least one of the bearings isn't a press fit, it has to be able to slide a bit on it's own as the spindle is being tightened. It's not unusual to have to use persuasion to get old bearings out, as rust and dirt can wedge them in place, but the new bearing (or even reinstalling the old one if it's good) has to be able to move a bit so that it doesn't have a side-load on it (due to the inner and outer races not being aligned).

And you probably should use something like a lathe or spend some time making the end's of the spacer bushing square, as if they aren't, the center race can be tilted a bit, also causing the bearing to wear faster.
..and you want the spacers to be the same length for all the spindles (unless they use a very odd setup), as typically with using a center spacer, the length of it affects the blade height.
where did you find a jackshaft? trying to find one
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.