My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a GT275 that just threw a rod. I am looking for a replacement engine, single cyllinder air cooled 17HP Kawasaki, normally marked FC540. If anyone has one for sale, let me know. You can reach me through this forum, or by responding to my posting on Craigs List by searching in the Topeka KS listings.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The B&S repower engine from S.E.W. is about $1100, which is a possbility, but I was not wanting to put that much into my GT275 with the blown engine. I've noticed the used running FC540's normally sell on craig's list, or e-bay, for a few hundred, and that is what I was looking for. My engine threw the rod that has the balancer unit attached, and that unit punched out the round cover on the back of the engine, and cracked the block. So for me, the cost of a new block, and internals, is cost prohibitive. A new short block from JD dealer is about $2300. I purchased another GT275 used / complete in very good condition, and I am using that one currently. If I can find a good used engine I plan to install it in my GT275 #1 with the blown engine, and then sell the entire tractor in running condition, or keep it for a spare tractor or parts, etc.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Not my engine, but here is one for sale on CL in Wisconsin:
Reply to:[email protected]

·
Gotta love power!
54 Posts
I have a FC540. It is torn down but the parts all look to be in good shape. Is this something you would be interested in?

Dan

·
Registered
490 Posts
I have one in my WheelHorse 257H It has just over 750 hrs on it and runs good
I'd sell you the whole tractor for 275.00

·
Super Moderator
16,370 Posts
I own a GT275 that just threw a rod. I am looking for a replacement engine, single cyllinder air cooled 17HP Kawasaki, normally marked FC540. If anyone has one for sale, let me know. You can reach me through this forum, or by responding to my posting on Craigs List by searching in the Topeka KS listings.
You Might want to check with either of they JD Bone Yards as well
http://www.jdlawntractor.com/
http://www.tractorsalesandparts.com/
Have You Local Deere dealer check the dealers Network as well some dealer some where Might Have the Parts you need to fix Your engine:thThumbsU

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I just perused the tractor sales and parts website. WOW! That is the Disneyland equivalent for forum members. Compared to used JD`s in the New England area, their prices are pretty reasonable.

·
Banned
1,049 Posts
I also have one complete minus the carb. Good compression. Came off a jd 185. $250

1 - 11 of 11 Posts