My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are in the process of buying 50 acres. I need a do it all kind of tractor, CUT or full size...I don't know. I'm planing on about 3 acres of various crops, brush hog(4 acres), a long drive to plow, and probably a loader. I really like old iron, but newer-used may suit the situation better, I just don't know the capabilities of anything bigger than a garden tractor(currently a 68 JD 110). An old 9n is about the only "real" tractor I've operated even a little, which I loved by the way.

Thanks

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
A JD 755 might be the ticket. Just old enough that there are some bargains, and small enough to mow with, while being large enough to handle a plow, loader or bush hog. Being diesel, they are pretty fuel efficient.

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
I'll second D-Dogg's comment. JD's 750, 850, 950, and 1050, and thier cousins the x55 series are great machines. The x50 series is older than the x55 series and parts availability is not an issue that I am aware of. I have the 950, and it just sips the fuel for the amount of work that it can do.

Definately go with a loader, you will not regret it. 4wd is a huge plus, though not absolutely necessary. My 2wd 950 will handle a single bottom plow nicely, but with the loader on, it doesn't do so well with a 2 bottom plow. My loader is not a quick attach and is a pain to remove and put back.

I handle a 5 foot finish mower and a 5 foot brush hog with no problems at all. The size of the 950 makes it a little difficult to mow a lawn around obstacles but it is hard to beat using it in the fields. I can brush hog around 6 acres on about 2 or 3 gallons of fuel.

Just some of my experiences.

·
Banned
330 Posts
Well you need at least a 30-45 hp desil tractor,4wd,I got a ck 30 kioti that would work fine in you situation,[I got 1/2 acre garden,brush hog maybe 10 acres 3-4 times a year and long gravel drive],with 3 acre garden,you might need bigger than mine[40 hp up],cause,it just makes things faster,you could do it with mine no problems.

kioti,deere,kubota,mahindra,couple of others,....get ready to part with 16 to 20 grand with the loader. [Kioti had a thing going where you got a free loader if you did something or other in the way you bought it,check out a dealer or their website].:drunkie:

·
Registered
921 Posts
I didn't know they made compact tractors until I saw an ad online yesterday for Bobcat. The deal was a free loader and 0% financing on their CUT. Looked like a sturdy machine.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Kioti and Bob Cat are both sold at the same dealships. They look like pretty sturdy tractors to me - never heard anything bad about either. There's a dealership near my house that has tons of both Kioti's and Cat's in all different sizes and styles, kind of like a toy store for guys.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the input. I spent all weekend checking out the land, and I will have a ton of work to do. It looks like you guys have given me a good place to start so, let the tractor search begin.

·
Great Site Good People
6,656 Posts
jcarroll, whatever you do, have fun at it and don't rush it. There are deals to be had in the used tractor market, especially with the huge incentives the new tractors companies are offering. Don't forge to post some pictures.:thThumbsU

·
Just passing through
8,419 Posts
We are in the process of buying 50 acres. I need a do it all kind of tractor, CUT or full size...I don't know. I'm planing on about 3 acres of various crops, brush hog(4 acres), a long drive to plow, and probably a loader. I really like old iron, but newer-used may suit the situation better, I just don't know the capabilities of anything bigger than a garden tractor(currently a 68 JD 110). An old 9n is about the only "real" tractor I've operated even a little, which I loved by the way.

Thanks
So what are you doing with the other 43 acres???

You will discover you will be owning more than one...RSN...:D

3 acres of crops can expand quickly... A/C G knockoff is nice for row crops...;)
http://www.tuff-bilt.com/index.htm

If you get into haying....you are are looking at a larger Utility tractor

·
Registered
344 Posts
Don't be afraid to go full size. If you like old iron, then would you prefer a gear drive machine over a hydro? I also used to use an old Ford 8n or 9n tractor just for fertilizing and york-raking but then moved up to a brand spankin new JD1070 tractor. That was back in 1994 - I think. Anyway to make a long story short, at first I was a little intimidated by having a real 4WD tractor, but I have used it so much over the years, and put on so many hours doing many different tasks with it, that now hopping on it feels like second nature as if I was born in the seat of the thing. I'm so used to the way it handles. It has enough horsepower and hydraulic power to run full size implements yet is no wider than a 72" mower. It will fit on any trailer no problem. It can mow a baseball field one day with a finish mower, and get covered deep in mud doing some dirty forest work. With as much property you need to maintain, I wouldn'd be afraid to consider full size. Plus gear drives may be cheaper than a hydro.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am probably going to go bigger than I previously thought. I assumed a big old tractor would cost more. Next weekend I am looking at a jd 1050 with a loader and brush hog, for 8500. As for the rest of the land, It's 80% woods, I need to clear a small area for a cottage, already has 100yr old bank barn, there is a 5 acre pond at the back fed by a stream with about a 50' rock face on the far side that looks amazing, but it is a full day crawling through thick woods to get there and back so some sort of drive/path is in order, mabey put a little hunting shack back there. We saw 2 deer and 3 turkey(with abut 5 little ones in tow) on our first visit.

·
Banned
12,901 Posts
If your going to be doing most or the road building yourself you will want to get 50 hp and up. Otherwise you will be straining the little tractor and wear it out before its time. It gets fustrating using to small of stuff when your limited in time and need to get certain things done.

·
Just passing through
8,419 Posts
I am probably going to go bigger than I previously thought. I assumed a big old tractor would cost more. Next weekend I am looking at a jd 1050 with a loader and brush hog, for 8500. As for the rest of the land, It's 80% woods, I need to clear a small area for a cottage, already has 100yr old bank barn, there is a 5 acre pond at the back fed by a stream with about a 50' rock face on the far side that looks amazing, but it is a full day crawling through thick woods to get there and back so some sort of drive/path is in order, mabey put a little hunting shack back there. We saw 2 deer and 3 turkey(with abut 5 little ones in tow) on our first visit.
Well, if you go for a older ag size tractor...go diesel...;)

Here are three sites that I have acquired equipment from...
http://www.ironsearch.com/
http://www.tractorhouse.com/
http://www.fastline.com/v100/index.aspx

1 - 16 of 16 Posts