My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other thread about spreaders had got a bit long and was an older thread. I was hoping that some of the experts on here had some more up to date info. I need a high qualitly spreader that will last me a long time. I will be using it to spread fertilizer (13-13-13) and lime. I have 3 acres and some of it consist of a steep hill. From the other thread it mentioned that the John Deere 175 pound spreader may have changed to a higher quality. Does anyone know for sure if this is true? I want something that definetly has metal gears. Can you guys point me in the right direction as far as which brand and model to get? Who has the best price on it? Thanks so much for any help with this. I have killed all of my weeds and it is now time to fertilize. I want to get this right on the first purchase so I won't have to end up buying another one when the first one breaks.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the fast reply. I forgot to mention that I don't have a pto. I have a X540 so I will need a tow behind. I do have a four wheeler if that is required but I would prefer to user the mower because of the power steering.

·
Just passing through
8,419 Posts

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
The key to longevity to what ever you buy is cleaning, drying and lubricating after using it. slkpk

·
JD RULES
1,026 Posts
From the other thread it mentioned that the John Deere 175 pound spreader may have changed to a higher quality. Does anyone know for sure if this is true.
Hi 09 X540 ,

I used my JD 175# Broadcast Spreader for 3 years , heaped over the top
with Scott's Fertilizer and I have some rolling property , never had a single
problem with it ... Sold it this year , still worked and looked like new ... Sold
it because of Fertilizer price increases ...

Later,x595

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,642 Posts
I bought the JD spreader that Lowe's sells, Cat# LPBS36JD. I gave $219+tax. It's been a very good spreader so far, I was loading it with 4 50lb bags at a time and it held up great. The gears are in a closed housing, I don't know if they're plastic or steel. The casting wheel is plastic, as are most of the parts except wheels, axle and frame. This isn't necessarily a bad thing with fertilizer spreaders, as the thing won't rust and corrode from the fertilizer. The nuts and bolts that hold it together are stainless steel. I believe this spreader is made by Spyker for JD.

There is another tow behind spreader available that is much larger, it will hold either 300 or 350 lbs, made by Tuffline, it's designed to be pulled behind ATV's, but can't see why it wouldn't work behind a GT. Sells for around $725, but I have seen other spreaders similar to it for around $375-$400. I just can't remember the mfg.
Check this one out at www.monroetufline.com.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
>"Sold it because of Fertilizer price increases ..."

Ain't that the truth. We just paid $485/ton for triple 15 spread but it's cheaper than
last year, we paid over $800/ton. I saw a 40# bag of triple 10 the other day and
it was $13 I about fell out, that's $650/ton. You used to buy that cheap triple
10 for $3 a bag.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I started the other thread on spreaders. I bought the Spyker 179 and couldn't be happier. It spreads about 15' wide and very evenly.

It's also built to last. Lifetime warranty on the gears. All the steel tubing and hardware is stainless steel. Spyker is used by alot of lawn pros. My brother is in the business and just bought a $10k plus machine called a Z-spray and it came with a Spyker Spreader.

http://www.spyker.com/179.html
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Stainless-Spyker-179-Fertilizer-Pull-Spreader_W0QQitemZ320374357022QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4a97ccbc1e&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

·
JD RULES
1,026 Posts
>"Sold it because of Fertilizer price increases ..."
Ain't that the truth. We just paid $485/ton for triple 15 spread but it's cheaper than
last year, we paid over $800/ton. I saw a 40# bag of triple 10 the other day and
it was $13 I about fell out, that's $650/ton. You used to buy that cheap triple
10 for $3 a bag.
Hi Grateful11 ,

The last time I spread Fertilizer , was the spring of 2008 , cost me $250.00 ,
the lawn looked great for 3 months , then looked the same as before , not
worth it IMO , but you farmers don't have that choice ...

Later,x595

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the replies guys. I know where you are coming from with the price increase on the fertilizer. I pay $13 for a 50# bag of 13-13-13 at my local co-op. 2 years ago I was paying $8.50 a bag. The Spyker looks like a very good unit for $290 to the door. I am going to try to find someone around here that sells them so I can look at one in person before buying one. For what I will use it for the JD unit sounds like it would work fine also. Some of the ones listed in this thread are very well built but out of my price range. I will be sure to post pics using whichever one that I decide on buying.

·
Snapper Lover
459 Posts
For what it's worth I bought at an auction a Brinly pull behind drop spreader/ seeder with the spikes. Holds 2 100lb bags. I was using a cheap broadcast walkbehind spreader and it worked good but I can definitely see a difference in the drop spreader. I have 1 acre but right now only fertilize 2/3's of it. You may want to look up that one as well.

T.C.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts