My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I know if you ask 5 guys about stuff like this you'll get 6 different answers ... but, I would appreciate everyones insight.

We just bought this Wisconsin farmette last year and this is my first year to till up the garden.

1.) I am not married to any brand name or specific engine manuf.

2.) I have a 2600 s/f garden that is impossible to get a 3 point into it.

3.) I have normal soil loam with little clay and little sand and little stone and should be easily worked up ... BUT I WANT COFFEE GROUND TEXTURE preferably.

4.) Due to my strawberry bed and asparagus bed in this fenced 2,600 s/f area ... both beds together equating to about <1,000 s/f, I have about 1,600 + s/f to till up.

Cost is always a factor, but I'm not afraid to invest in something to make my life easier or a chore simpler for me as I'm not getting any younger.

I want to have the knowledge of this forum assist me in the purchase of what might be considered the perfect weapon in garden roto-tilling.

If you prefer having this conversation in private messaging I'm OK with that too. Thanks in advance to all who consider responding.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Just can't beat a Horse (Troy-Bilt) without spending WAY to much money. If money is no object the Honda rear tines and BCS Tillers are nice, but BIG $$$.

Joe

·
Registered
132 Posts
What other chores do you potentially have to do around the farmette, will spending the money now on something like a BCS allow you to expand to other needed attachments later such as a chipper, rought cut mower for clearing tall grass and brush or other uses.

If all you need is a tiller for sure then .......

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
You want coffee ground like soil, forget the tiller, just add compost/mulch!!

How can a tiller change the soil texture? :dunno: I let the earthworms do it!! :bananapow

Per $, buying compost is more cost effective than a tiller.

I have a tiller, but, it stays in the shed, since I have added so much compost!!

JMHO, of course! :trink40:< compost tea

1 - 8 of 8 Posts