My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am new to the site and very new to REAL garden tractors. I just bought a Case 446 and I was told it was around a 1972. I have a few questions that I hope someone can answer.
1: where can I find the serial number? I looked all over and cant seem to locate it.

2: The front/top tank under the hood that says hydraulic oil.....I thought I read somewhere, not to use hydraulic oil and to use SAE30??? The previous owner gave me a gallon of hydraulic oil, and not sure where to put it.

3: I want to spray paint some areas. What are you guys using for spray bombs? I went to Tractor supply and they have AC orange and kubota orange. are one of those a match, or do I need to keep searching for Case orange? My hood is Desert Sand and I am not coming across that color other than on ebay for 12.99 a can, and I dont want to wait for it to show up.

4: I dont have the 3 point, and was told to just find a sleeve hitch. Where, reasonably? I am thinking about having a buddy make one, if I can find some plans. I am looking to get some food plots planted real soon.

5: any other tips or things I must know.....please fill me in.

My grandfather had one of these, and I always loved it, so now I have my own. He wouldnt let us boys play with it...lol.

Thanks in advance. :trink39:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oh...and it doesnt want to cut tall grass at all. the belt appears to be really loose, isnt the handle on the front, adjust the tension??

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
Hello, I am new to the site and very new to REAL garden tractors. I just bought a Case 446 and I was told it was around a 1972. I have a few questions that I hope someone can answer.
1: where can I find the serial number? I looked all over and cant seem to locate it.

If you are sitting on the tractor, there should be a rectangular aluminum ID plate riveted to the dashboard tower at about knee level on the right side. If it's gone, then the two rivet holes should still be there. If it is there, then get the serial number off it and post it here.

2: The front/top tank under the hood that says hydraulic oil.....I thought I read somewhere, not to use hydraulic oil and to use SAE30??? The previous owner gave me a gallon of hydraulic oil, and not sure where to put it.

Because of forum rules, I'm not allowed to tell you where to put it if you should see the seller again. :trink40:

Since he gave you that container, I suggest that you drain the entire system and replace with motor oil. If the temp is always above 40 F, then 30W is an excellent choice. If not, the 20W50 or even 15W40 will work fine.

3: I want to spray paint some areas. What are you guys using for spray bombs? I went to Tractor supply and they have AC orange and kubota orange. are one of those a match, or do I need to keep searching for Case orange? My hood is Desert Sand and I am not coming across that color other than on ebay for 12.99 a can, and I dont want to wait for it to show up.

Technically, there is no such color as "Desert Sand". That is a mis-nomer that has been perpetuated. The proper name is Desert Sunset. The other color is Power Red. Both SHOULD be available from your local Case/IH dealer but some of them are boneheads when it comes to stocking these paints. I find that surprising considering all the big tractor restoration going on. We have a sponsor here by the name of Messick's. He will sell you the correct paint and ship it to you. Anything else is "close" but not exact. Your decision.

4: I dont have the 3 point, and was told to just find a sleeve hitch. Where, reasonably? I am thinking about having a buddy make one, if I can find some plans. I am looking to get some food plots planted real soon.

Making your own sleeve hitch is the cheapest way to go and not that hard. Join the Yahoo group and ask them to direct you to the plans that are in the FILES section there.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/casegardentractors/

5: any other tips or things I must know.....please fill me in.

My grandfather had one of these, and I always loved it, so now I have my own. He wouldnt let us boys play with it...lol.

Thanks in advance. :trink39:

One thing at a time. Start with changing out the oil. Order an Operator's Manual from member bhildret so you can learn how to take care of this tractor and operate it safely. It's a must-have item.

The next thing is to tune up the engine and perform decarbonizing, valve adjustments, cleaning the cooling fins by removing all the engine tins and replacing the old hardened fuel line.

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
oh...and it doesnt want to cut tall grass at all. the belt appears to be really loose, isnt the handle on the front, adjust the tension??
You could have a slipping drive belt, a slipping deck belt, a slipping clutch or a combo of 2 or more. You need to go to the top of this forum and start reading some of the service manuals there.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Welcome to the forum Thull. :Welcome1:

Its always good to see another Michigander on the forum... well except I could have sworn I cornered the market on all of the Case tractors here in MI... oh well.:mad::D

:wwp:

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
Tractor Supply`s A/C orange is a very reasonable match in a local spray bomb. JMO
I don't disagree. Even bona fide' Power Red may not be a perfect match because paint today is not formulated the exact same way it was at the time your tractor received paint. Secondly, exposure to UV rays will alter what is in place on your tractor (fading) currently. This is a problem that is faced by auto and truck bodyshops all the time when repainting just the area of a vehicle that was damaged. Red is one of the worst colors for this issue.

If you are looking for something cheap, fast and close, then a visit to your local TSC store might be a solution.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys for all the info!!
I am not rebuilding for a show, but dont want it to look like poo, so close is good enough for me. Cheap fast and close, thats me! Anyone know a close match to the beige?

Looks like I am draining all the fluids this weekend. I looked a little yesterday and didnt find any 20-50. I am assuming about 10 quarts?

And while I have your attention, being in Michigan, what weight and how much for the motor? She smokes a little, if that matters.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome to the forum Thull. :Welcome1:

Its always good to see another Michigander on the forum... well except I could have sworn I cornered the market on all of the Case tractors here in MI... oh well.:mad::D

:wwp:

Not when I am searching....lol. I love shopping for a deal. I bought this off of craigslist downstate and was able to pick it up for 500.00 with a mower deck and a 54" blade. I think I did alright. I have went through 2-MTD tractors and one Craftsman in the past 12 years, so I really think this will outlast any of those POS? Time will tell.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just got a email from the previous owner, and he did clarify that the hydraulic oil was for the hydraulic tank in front of the engine. So hopefully it didnt ruin anything????????

·
Banned
1,634 Posts
While you are at T/S buying paint, pick up a 5 gallon pail of Shell Rotella T 15w40MOTOR OIL
Use this in your hyd system. @ approx $ 2.75 a qt it`s the best value, used by most here with good results.

Wouldn`t be the 1st time hyd fluid was mistakenly used, should not be a problem.

EDIT straight 30w is the baseline for ENGINE oil.
Given that it smokes and it`s HOT outside, I would run heavier straight weight.
Onan manual say`s 40w above 80 degrees / 50w above 90

Mine has high hrs and it`s been hot. I`m running 50 with great results
(less consumption)

·
Tractorhead
270 Posts
thull - Congratulation on your new 446. You're in good hands here on MTF to find answers regarding your new Case. While I can certainly understand why you would want to go a little less expensive with your painting at least take a second look at paints to match that some other companies have to offer. Here's link to the JI Case Collectors Assoc. paint codes that may give you a good lead on some quality and color match paints you may want to use instead of going down the "Well it sort of matches" road. As was stated by castoff you need color matches for Case Power Red and Case Desert Sunset. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
While you are at T/S buying paint, pick up a 5 gallon pail of Shell Rotella T 15w40MOTOR OIL
Use this in your hyd system. @ approx $ 2.75 a qt it`s the best value, used by most here with good results.

Wouldn`t be the 1st time hyd fluid was mistakenly used, should not be a problem.

EDIT straight 30w is the baseline for ENGINE oil.
Given that it smokes and it`s HOT outside, I would run heavier straight weight.
Onan manual say`s 40w above 80 degrees / 50w above 90

Mine has high hrs and it`s been hot. I`m running 50 with great results
(less consumption)

I picked up a 5 gal at T/S and got the hyd system oil changed. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!! So much smoother and quieter operating!! I am confused as to why a 5 Gal bucket?? Very hard to dump in and I didnt even use half?? Oh well, i have plenty for future changes.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thull - Congratulation on your new 446. You're in good hands here on MTF to find answers regarding your new Case. While I can certainly understand why you would want to go a little less expensive with your painting at least take a second look at paints to match that some other companies have to offer. Here's link to the JI Case Collectors Assoc. paint codes that may give you a good lead on some quality and color match paints you may want to use instead of going down the "Well it sort of matches" road. As was stated by castoff you need color matches for Case Power Red and Case Desert Sunset. Hope this helps.
thanks, I will do some research. I ended up picking up the AC orange, and it seems pretty close, but I cant find a beige color yet. I bought cub cadet beige, but not even close.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You could have a slipping drive belt, a slipping deck belt, a slipping clutch or a combo of 2 or more. You need to go to the top of this forum and start reading some of the service manuals there.

I tightened the crank on the front and it seems to work better. The plate is missing with the vin number. I read that the early 70's 444 tractors are a different size than the later models. I just not sure when mine was build.
So that makes it hard to order a operators manual and belt?????? Is there another way to narrow this down?????

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Contact the OP and see if he still has it, you might get lucky.

You will have the shorter frame, the frame was lengthened in 1979 to accommodate the 60" deck, the operators manual is specific to the year of manufacture with some overlapping, those #'s sure would help. PM bhildret of this forum for a belt.

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
I tightened the crank on the front and it seems to work better. The plate is missing with the vin number. I read that the early 70's 444 tractors are a different size than the later models. I just not sure when mine was build.
So that makes it hard to order a operators manual and belt?????? Is there another way to narrow this down?????
I am not aware of any owner coming up with a substitute for Desert Sunset. In fact, I cannot even recall a thread where that issue came up. For some time, Desert was available from TSC but I cannot say if they still carry out. Stores have a tendency to drop items that do not move.

We can easily narrow down the year of tractor you have if you post some photos.

One pic should show the entire left side, a second pic should show the right side. One shot of the rear of the tractor. One of the dashboard and area below the dash and one more showing the entire front.

I don't know where you read about "size difference" but that would be wrong, other than the 2" frame stretch as CM2 pointed out. That was the only size change and most people can't see the difference without using a tape measure.

To me, this is just another instance where size doesn't really matter unless you're one of those guys who insist on having a big deck. While big decks might be impressive to some, they can be unwieldy when trying to work in tight spaces. Myself.......... I prefer an average size deck and so did my wife when I was married. It was so much easier for her to manuever it around from place to place and not worry about the pain from ramming it into this or that.

Something for you to ponder.......

·
Banned
1,634 Posts
I am confused as to why a 5 Gal bucket?? Very hard to dump in and I didnt even use half?? Oh well, i have plenty for future changes.
Sorry about that, I guess you could have purchased the gallon jugs. (it`s only .25 more per quart.) I like to have plenty in stock. Belts/blades/oil filters, etc
Stopping a repair or project to go to the store drives me nuts

EDIT: keep in mind you`ll also be using the Rotella for transaxle oil changes

1 - 20 of 59 Posts