My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I've recently been acquiring a lot of new tools. I need a new tool chest to store them as well, since my other cabinet is pretty full. I'm not looking for Snap-On quality stuff, as I'm a "weekender" at best. I think the Husky brand falls somewhere near the lower middle quality on the list. But, for what I do, I think it will be fine. This is the one I'm considering. It does at least have ball bearing slides etc... Any input? Husky Industrial 52 in. W x 21.5 in. D 15-Drawer Tool Chest and Rolling Cabinet Combo with LED Light in Matte Black-H52CH6TR9HDV3 - The Home Depot
Photograph Light Product Screenshot Font
Photograph Light Product Screenshot Font

·
Premium Member
10,176 Posts
I have the less expensive Harbor Freight cabinets and They are perfect for me,

·
Premium Member
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the less expensive Harbor Freight cabinets and They are perfect for me,
I've looked at/considered their "Icon" series. Which are supposed to be their premium series. And they're nice, but the price of those is getting up there with other, more expensive brands. I haven't looked at their regular stuff. Maybe I should go back and revisit those.

·
Premium Member
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like a nice set up for the money, plenty of storage room!
I hope so. That's why I'm asking here. I just don't want to make a thousand dollar mistake. I hate regrets.

·
Premium Member
6,130 Posts
I have that exact box and has been in use for two years now. Without spending twice the money I don't think you will find a better built new box. I like mine.
If you don't use it every day buy a label maker. That's a lot of drawers to go through to find things. The fact I also have three other boxes doesn't help matters. Waterloo, Sears and one that I can not think of at the moment.
It comes with a pull handle (never been installed). After filling mine not so sure a drawbar would have not been better so it could be hitched to the GT. Not that there is anything wrong with the casters.

·
Super Moderator
13,874 Posts
Looks like a decent box to me. Another brand you might look at include Montezuma.

If the Husky is too spendy try shopping on Facebook. I’ve had a Craftsman Griplatch box going on 10 years and used it extensively. I’ve seen a couple of those sell locally on FB for $600-$750. Also look at older Waterloo and Kennedy boxes. I really like my old Waterloo boxes. Paid $150 at auction for it, not nearly the size of the newer boxes but for an occasional use box it’s great!
Cabinetry Drawer Dresser Wood Gas

·
Premium Member
6,130 Posts
Looks like a decent box to me. Another brand you might look at include Montezuma.

If the Husky is too spendy try shopping on Facebook. I’ve had a Craftsman Griplatch box going on 10 years and used it extensively. I’ve seen a couple of those sell locally on FB for $600-$750. Also look at older Waterloo and Kennedy boxes. I really like my old Waterloo boxes. Paid $150 at auction for it, not nearly the size of the newer boxes but for an occasional use box it’s great!
View attachment 2534760
That top box if not labeled Waterloo looks just like the same era Snapon box. I have had both. Owed dad some money and he took the Snapon as payment years ago. I still have the Waterloo. One of the best investments made new in the box for $150 in 1972.

·
Premium Member
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have that exact box and has been in use for two years now. Without spending twice the money I don't think you will find a better built new box. I like mine.
If you don't use it every day buy a label maker. That's a lot of drawers to go through to find things. The fact I also have three other boxes doesn't help matters. Waterloo, Sears and one that I can not think of at the moment.
It comes with a pull handle (never been installed). After filling mine not so sure a drawbar would have not been better so it could be hitched to the GT. Not that there is anything wrong with the casters.
Well, it's always good to hear from somebody that actually owns what you're asking about, and has firsthand experience. I'll take that as an endorsement, and probably make the plunge tomorrow. Thanks for your input.

·
Super Moderator
40,095 Posts
I just got a link in my email from Harbor Frieght for an ICON toolbox configuration tool. I don't need it but since you are looking I thought you might like to at least look at it:

HARBOR FREIGHT - Toolbox configurator

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Suggestions:
Always start with ball bearing drawer slides only, with well fit drawers that don't bind when closed. A first priority.
Get something with decent sheet metal that doesn't buckle with a few tools in the drawers. Find something at the store that is heavy and will fit into the drawer and test it. If it doesn't glide shut with weight in it, move on.

Final thought, tool boxes are useless unless you put the tools away. At 69 years of age, I wish I had back all the time I spent searching for a particular tool that I had left out "somewhere" instead of taking a second or two to put it back in its place. Not to mention the money lost on replacements for tools I couldn't find.

·
Premium Member
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Suggestions:
Always start with ball bearing drawer slides only, with well fit drawers that don't bind when closed. A first priority.
Get something with decent sheet metal that doesn't buckle with a few tools in the drawers. Find something at the store that is heavy and will fit into the drawer and test it. If it doesn't glide shut with weight in it, move on.

Final thought, tool boxes are useless unless you put the tools away. At 69 years of age, I wish I had back all the time I spent searching for a particular tool that I had left out "somewhere" instead of taking a second or two to put it back in its place. Not to mention the money lost on replacements for tools I couldn't find.
That's a lot of good advice. Thank you!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a large Snap On box, several Craftsman, a Waterloo and several Harbor Freight. The Harbor Freight boxes are by far the best value for the money for anything but possibly lifetime professional use.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
I haven't looked at the newer HF boxes. The ones I looked at years ago always disappointed me. They were cheap, in every sense of the word. I could never get myself to buy one. A few years ago I bought one of the cheap Stanley boxes for $79, probably from Walmart online. It is cheap, but it actually worked pretty well.

This year I bought the Husky 48x24 box. I only saw the one in red which is $50 more than the black one. At $400 it is not cheap. But, I liked it so much I bought the 27" double one too. It was $350 in black. I like them both a lot. They have the self-closing drawers. They are a little stiff/hard to first open (to get past the self-closing feature), but very smooth past that. I actually purchased the Craftsman equivalent from Lowes, but returned it before picking it up. I didn't like the way it felt in the store model. But, they seem similar.

I think you will be happy with that box, but it will be hard moving it around, even empty.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey guys. I've recently been acquiring a lot of new tools. I need a new tool chest to store them as well, since my other cabinet is pretty full. I'm not looking for Snap-On quality stuff, as I'm a "weekender" at best. I think the Husky brand falls somewhere near the lower middle quality on the list. But, for what I do, I think it will be fine. This is the one I'm considering. It does at least have ball bearing slides etc... Any input? Husky Industrial 52 in. W x 21.5 in. D 15-Drawer Tool Chest and Rolling Cabinet Combo with LED Light in Matte Black-H52CH6TR9HDV3 - The Home Depot
View attachment 2534701 View attachment 2534702
I'm using my Kennedy boxes I had when I was working. It doesn't have ball bearing slides, but if I keep them clean and greased, they open/close easily.
But be careful with the ball bearing slides, especially if you move the box. I've seen too many people start pushing their box around, only to have all the drawers open at once, and the box topples over spilling everything, lol. One guy just parked it on slightly uneven floor, and the drawers just slowly opened until it fell over. As long as you remember to keep it locked, you'll be good.
But anyway, I'd check out reviews on the various boxes, and see what mechanics have to say. There are lots of toolbox reviews on YouTube as well.
One last thing though, there are so many people quitting their jobs, losing jobs, or retiring, I'd look for a good used box too.

·
Registered
1 Posts

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
FWIW - I bought the RIDGID-PRO 3 piece portable tool box/cart/parts combo. I can stay somewhat organized plus stay portable to go elsewhere when helping others with repairs. The pieces allow me to leave behind things not needed and stay light enough so I can still load it in the back of the truck and still be able to roll it to where I’m going to work.

Later kids bought me the Milwaukee Packout rolling toolbox. I use it for mowing tools, oil, filters, filter sockets, etc. I can use at home and else where along with my belt grinder for blade sharpening.

Both are well made and give me sufficient storage for the work I do. Not of the same usage as the one selected, but a lot easier to wheel right to where I’m working, even at home. I still have my original Kennedy Kit boxes on the workbench, but they don’t get used much anymore.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have the 44" HF US General box, a couple of Craftsman 2000 series boxes, and a Husky 52" 10-drawer mobile workbench. The HF and the Husky are noticeably better than the Craftsman 2000 series, but for what I paid for the Craftsman ($400 for the both the top and bottom 52" boxes) I couldn't pass it up.

The thing I don't like about the HF boxes anymore is that you have order them (I bought mine instore before they started coming in all the various colors), wait to be shipped to the store and enough people complain about shipping damage (though I have no clue what percentage that really works out to) that I'm not sure I would want to go through that.

they sure have gone up in price (along with most everything else). I paid ~$350 for my HF box 4-5 years ago, and now they're $600.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts