My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad gave me a bunch of asparagus to grow knowing that i LOVE to eat it.Been looking at some videos,doing some internet reading on the best way to plant!Thinking about placing it in a raised bed.Any input from others here about growing it would be helpful.The part i hate the most about growing it is ill have to wait a season or two before i can eat:Disgus: One question i would like to ask is do the wildlife like rabbits and deer like to eat or is a fence a must?.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
I'm discovering this year asparagus is certainly a plant that puts my patients to the test.

I planted 10 crowns March 14 and the first spear on one plant appeared 5 weeks later. On May 9 the tenth plant finally showed some life. So now I have 10 plants of all sizes and shapes. Some have bushed out to look like a Fern while others have one straight spear 2 ft. tall. Some have four spears from the crown, some three, others two and finally just one on some so far.

I planted in a trench so I have no experience with raised beds. I have a relative that has some in an old bottomless stock tank so I really don't see why raised beds wouldn't be just fine.

I have free range cotton tail rabbits but so far they haven't found asparagus inviting.

·
Janitor at Large
5,619 Posts
I'm discovering this year asparagus is certainly a plant that puts my patients to the test.

I planted 10 crowns March 14 and the first spear on one plant appeared 5 weeks later. On May 9 the tenth plant finally showed some life. So now I have 10 plants of all sizes and shapes. Some have bushed out to look like a Fern while others have one straight spear 2 ft. tall. Some have four spears from the crown, some three, others two and finally just one on some so far.

I planted in a trench so I have no experience with raised beds. I have a relative that has some in an old bottomless stock tank so I really don't see why raised beds wouldn't be just fine.

I have free range cotton tail rabbits but so far they haven't found asparagus inviting.
Glad I read this, as I planted 10 crowns on May 1st and only 1 has come up so far. I was getting worried about the rest.........will give them more time. I also am using the trench method....The nursery girl said to gradually fill the trench as this season progresses..adding some manure as you fill.............I also planted 2 last year that the nursery said were a year old then. A couple of asparagus spears came up this week....won't get much of them this year, but I know they are alive.

·
Janitor at Large
5,619 Posts
Most of my asparagus are growing in the trench now..........will gradually fill the trench in over the season......and hope for some sprouts next year.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
My bubby has it in a raised bed. It's been 4 or 5 years now and he gets good yeilds but it's big compared to what you buy in the store.

It looks like ****, looks like bambo with out the leave growing all different size.

He dose have a fence around his raised beds.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just an update!I planted 10 Asparagus crowns today!Ill take a pic or two when or if they come up. :praying:

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Our asperagus is going nowhere. I read some good stuff from the Michigan Stat U on it and I think we just dont have the right soil. No sand, just Clay and no Salt either.
You can see we have one good looking plant, but all the rest look like the bad plant.

good asperagus.jpg bad asperagus.jpg

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I'm sure that's what my wife pointed out. Maybe I took a photo of some weeds?
I wouldnt know Asparagus from Dandy lions.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Just a quick thought: asparagus usually takes at least 2 (or 3) years to get established before it should be harvested. First couple years just ignore it; if you pick the stalks too early, you're actually weakening/killing the plant.

And asparagus takes LOTS of food; I manure (old rotted cow dung) once in the fall after frost, once in the spring when the ground just softens up after snow.

Let the plant(s) get established, manure twice a year, harvest after 3 years. That'll yield good asparagus stalks for the next 10-15 years.

Hope this helps.
Tom

Edit: here's a picture of two year old asparagus. All you see are skinny "stalks" with lots of fern-y leaves. First year after "planting" you see much less. Third year, you start to get big fat stalks, which can then be harvested "when they're the diameter of your little finger."

·
I'll never get to 10,000
5,185 Posts
Definitely doesn't look like asparagus. Try Googling it to see what it is supposed to look like.
When it first appears, you'll have your typical asparagus "spears" coming up, the if left alone, it will become spindly and almost fern-like.

·
Janitor at Large
5,619 Posts
Just a quick thought: asparagus usually takes at least 2 (or 3) years to get established before it should be harvested. First couple years just ignore it; if you pick the stalks too early, you're actually weakening/killing the plant.

And asparagus takes LOTS of food; I manure (old rotted cow dung) once in the fall after frost, once in the spring when the ground just softens up after snow.

Let the plant(s) get established, manure twice a year, harvest after 3 years. That'll yield good asparagus stalks for the next 10-15 years.

Hope this helps.
Tom
Thanks again Tom...You da man......The reason I started that other thread about critters, was because that pesky groundhog ate my 2nd year asparagus ferns.....Hope they come back....not the groundhog, the asparagus....lol

I planted some garlic around the bad as well as some Marigolds......gonna get some onions in there too.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow Nutmeg!so thats what it will look like!kinda looks like Dill.Its been just over a week since i planted mine!wonder how long before i start seeing some life.

·
Janitor at Large
5,619 Posts
I planted 10 roots first week of May.....all but one have come up. Some are still small, a few are about 6-8 inches high.

I had 2 that I planted last year........a few shoots came up, but that **** groundhog got them.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Its been just over a week since i planted mine!wonder how long before i start seeing some life.
It seems to take several weeks and some will pop up much later than others.

It also appears that you buried your roots to their final planting depth. You want to just put a few inches over the roots and then slowly fill in the furrow so the small plant can stay above the dirt.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Its Alive!!! :fest30: Finally starting to see life! three sprouts poping out of the ground,hopefully the other 7 crowns will do the same.When they get alittle bigger i will take a pic or two.

·
Janitor at Large
5,619 Posts
All 10 of my new ones have come up, had 2 before.........they did come up at different times and at different rates....Plus, a couple came up about 6-8 inches from where I planted them.....like they grew from the end of the root or something.

·
Registered
129 Posts
There ya go! Kinda restores your faith in Mother Nature, eh?

Now just leave those young shoots alone; treat like any annual plant. Tops will die back over winter; you can remove the dead "stalks" next spring. Roots remain alive for a decade or two.

Fertilize (top dress) in the early spring.

Repeat cycle for the second year.

Look forward to enjoying asparagus for the next 15 years! Keep adding fertilizer every spring.

Tom

·
Registered
394 Posts
If you are going to grow asparagus, do yourself a favor. Actually do yourself a couple of favors:

1. Don't plant them too close together. Keep at least 3 feet between each plant, more if possible. As you can see in the pic NutmegCT posted, it gets quite large.

2. Watch out for females and remove if possible. After a few years they will over-populate your bed and you will find yourself yanking out baby asparagus plants by the dozens. (speaking from experience here...LOL)

1 - 20 of 50 Posts