My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Pretty much all the brakes for Gravelys command pretty decent prices, but if you ask me, I figure we all get enough good deals on these machines to justify the costs of these kinds of accessories. Even paying $1500 - $2000 for a decent rider or Pro walk behind is a bargain compared to the intrinsic value and the new cost of the machines.

·
Gravelyyard.com
5,922 Posts
Pretty much all the brakes for Gravelys command pretty decent prices, but if you ask me, I figure we all get enough good deals on these machines to justify the costs of these kinds of accessories. Even paying $1500 - $2000 for a decent rider or Pro walk behind is a bargain compared to the intrinsic value and the new cost of the machines.
Well said! :congrats: I agree completely! Sometimes we let our cheapness get the best of our wisdom.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Wow! Now I don't want to hear you guys giving the JD guys any guff about the price of green parts! :lalala:

·
Old Iron Connoisseur
2,785 Posts
Well.. I have been a bit silly about some things at times.. but at that price... I'd have found another tractor with a blown motor or the such. Hope to see the tractor that is worthy of that fancy a brake system!

·
Registered
376 Posts
So what do they do that you don't get with the base 8000-series or G-series?
They can help you steer in conditions where the front end is too light. They can also help with traction. The rearend is going to provide traction to the wheel with least resistance. Without steering brakes when one wheel looses traction it spins and the tractor is stuck. If you apply the steering brake (they are individual/independent wheel brakes) to the spinning wheel it forces the other wheel to turn and most of the time get you moving again.

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Remember the limited-slip differential discussion?

Just in the interest of dredging this up again :)sorry1:), page 4 of the '88-'89 Customer Service Update says: "Early 800 Series had keyed forward and reverse clutches(18049). Transmission case was painted inside and had limited slip differential. (1971-1974)"

Was this ever confirmed?

·
Registered
178 Posts
The 810/812/814 IPL dated 10-15-73 (Form # 20544 L1, available at oldgravelys) shows a sort of limited slip diff. on page 2, and the standard diff. for 800 series tractors after S/N 18930 on the last page.

George

·
Gravelyyard.com
5,922 Posts
Well then it sounds like you would need some brake pedals, and some cabling [???] which made its way down to the brakes?
The petals are located just in front of the fenders and you push them with your heel (hench the term, heel masher). They use a band around a drum. If you look closly at the picture, you can see the brake petal and the disconnected linkage bar hanging down under the fender. The drum is off of course.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts