My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
Ok I'll see if i can find one............ It needs restored but only 2 rust holes since it was a NC car. I still need to figure out how to get a title. The guy I bought it from didn't have one just a bill of sale and the Notary was not open when we picked the car up go get a notarized bill of sale for me or i would have one already. Then the guy fell off the map, quit his job and is nowhere to be found. I have the original owners title that was transferred to his brother when he went to jail, but he was put to death in prison 30 years ago. :eek:
Does that truck have brakes or do you just blast those horns?

·
Three of my friends
8,759 Posts
Mopar,just keep the oil serviced,John deers Torq guard 30 wt in summer,multi grade in winter but expect oil consumption with multi grade,the motor likes to have the valves checked I think ever 200 hrs but you don’t know if they have ever been checked so that would be something you need to do,it ain’t easy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My 317 has the replacement Onan, nice sounding, smooth running engine. Not to hyjack this thread, but I have a question for the Onan owners out there. When mine runs out of gas it just shuts down like you turned off the key. Every other engine I have sputters or coughs, something. Not the Onan, now it's running, now it's not! Anyone else notice this?
Yes ggsteve. I have a 1982 317 since new, replaced blown up Kohler after 13 yrs with 18 HP Onan. Just serviced with new oil, filters, plugs grease, blades last month. Now it's stopping as you mentioned after about 1 hr. Gas tank is full/use ethanol free premium fuel. Starts again after 1-2 minutes. May stop within a few minutes on a very fine incline, and it will get me back to the garage with a couple of restarts.Starts fine and runs great until these episodes started happening. Only have cut grass once this year so far with it 2 weeks ago. I'm thinking carburator bowl may need cleaning, possibly fuel lines, or gas tank sending lines, or fuel pump may need attention-everything I've been reading on this forum-but truthfully, don't know what the problem(s) may be yet. Please post your remedy when you have found problem. I can learn a lot here.

·
Parts collector
3,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Does that truck have brakes or do you just blast those horns?

Ha Ha I don't have that truck anymore. I bought it that way and they were sealed to the roof so I just left them on. MAN where they loud!

Mopar,just keep the oil serviced,John deers Torq guard 30 wt in summer,multi grade in winter but expect oil consumption with multi grade,the motor likes to have the valves checked I think ever 200 hrs but you don’t know if they have ever been checked so that would be something you need to do,it ain’t easy.
Thanks for the tip, I don't know if they were. If it has 377hrs on it then I guess it's due again soon. The oil looks clean and I need to get a new site tube for the trans so I can see what the fluid looks like and know what the level is at.

Heck with the old Kohlers I have I just check the oil and add new every 4 mowings. LOL............

·
Three of my friends
8,759 Posts
You won’t have to change the onan that often,maybe 2 times a year,Tony Bachler had Onans that had 4,000 hrs but serviced regular.

·
Premium Member
9,716 Posts
Nice catch !! Many would like that 318 for their everyday machine . Dad had one for 22 years.

·
Parts collector
3,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I mowed the hay field/yard again yesterday. She performed awesome!

21 - 27 of 27 Posts