My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Parts collector
3,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well in light of the fact that my 332 still is not running and my yard looks like a field I really didn't have a choice but to buy a tractor.

It's a 1988 318 with a 48" deck it has an Onan in it. Runs great but the inside hydro lever is stuck. Tires are good, deck is good, mows great even in 2' high grass. I got an awesome deal on it from my neighbor that buys at auctions cleans them and resells them.

I can't remember for sure BUT If I remember correctly the Briggs engines are the ones that don't like to be ran at an angle due to oil flow. I hope because my yard is slopped.

Is there anything I need to watch for with the Onan engine?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Good lookin machine! Wish my neighbors were more like your neighbor.;)

·
Premium Member
1,164 Posts
mopar65pa,

I thought it was the 317 that had issues with uneven ground.

CCMoe

·
Premium Member
1,164 Posts
I have the Onan P218 in an Ingersoll 4018, really like the sound of it.

CCMoe

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
317's with the Kohler KT17 series I is the one that has the oiling problem on slopes. The series II fixed the oiling problems.

Congrats on the 318

·
Super Moderator
28,802 Posts
Mopar, congrats on the 318! Hit the inside lever with some PB Blaster right at the bottom where both levers go through the pedestal and give it a day. Then try working it the next day and see if you can get it to move. It will probably be only a little at a time and you have to keep working it till in goes all the way forward and back (remember it has a float position so you will want to make it go towards front of the tractor till it holds in the float position). My 318 had the same issue when I got it, and it took about 2 hours of working the lever then hitting with WD 40 (should have used PB Blaster) to get it loose.

Also JD repowered a lot of the 317's with the Onan P218 Performer so those are ok if you'd find one. REdington is correct the Kohler KT series II also a good engine!

·
4,151 Posts
I hope you get that 332 working again, but you should really like that 318...it looks like nice condition...much better than the one I had....you may not want to go back to the diesel...best of luck with it...as you already own a 332 you may not need much help or advice......but I can tell you that if you do...I got a ton of really good help on here for mine...I think it is a well liked machine because it is really kind of easy to get to stuff and work on it

·
Parts collector
3,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys. I'm going to pull the 50" deck of the 332 and put it on the 318. The hr meter only says 377hrs! But the tires look original and not much wear so it could be correct.......
I made 3 passes with the 318 in the yard and it cuts great. The engine sounds great and has power. Now if the wind would stop I'm going to go finish mowing. I can't believe it was snowing last night!
Once I get the 332 running again I'm going to do a resto on it since I have the 318 now. The diesel has more power than the 318 for sure and I love diesels.

Wife says now the 314 has to go along with the 110. LOL........... I guess 6 tractors is too many. ha ha......... BUT I have the 300 for the tiller. I could keep the plow on the 300 or put it on the 318 then put the snow blower on the 332. Not sure what I'm going to do with the 140 but I grew up on one so I had to have it. I have a pintle hitch for it though for the dirt plow, disc, and harrow.

Good lookin machine! Wish my neighbors were more like your neighbor.;)
He's a really good guy and sells at least 20 tractors a year as well as other stuff. I got this thing for 2/3s of what I could have found one anywhere on line. It's nice living in the country. ;)

·
Registered
341 Posts
Congrats on the score!

Do some searches on 318’s and you will find tons of info on here. Mr Beef did some great write ups.

One quick thing to check is there is supposed to be a rubber grommet around the oil filter. It keeps the cooling air in the fins instead of blowing out around the filter. If you need Onan parts Boomer is a great resource.

Having two tractors that take the same attachments is a great thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
28,802 Posts

Yep, that is why I went with the 2nd 322!

·
Premium Member
9,442 Posts
My 317 has the replacement Onan, nice sounding, smooth running engine. Not to hyjack this thread, but I have a question for the Onan owners out there. When mine runs out of gas it just shuts down like you turned off the key. Every other engine I have sputters or coughs, something. Not the Onan, now it's running, now it's not! Anyone else notice this?

·
Parts collector
3,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well the yard is mowed and it did great in 2' of grass. It's going to take 2 more cuttings to get things to normal though.

Congrats on the score!

Do some searches on 318’s and you will find tons of info on here. Mr Beef did some great write ups.

One quick thing to check is there is supposed to be a rubber grommet around the oil filter. It keeps the cooling air in the fins instead of blowing out around the filter. If you need Onan parts Boomer is a great resource.

The only thing I don't really know about is the engine I've never had an Onan, the rest is like the 332, mule drive and deck are similar to the 314, 300, and 140 so.

2 tractors? Ha Ha I have 4 that the front stuff fits and 2 that the rear stuff fits. ;)

Yep, that is why I went with the 2nd 322!
The only things that won't work (thanks to the info here) is the tiller and the pintle hitch from the 300, 314, 140. snow blower and plow will fit the front so I'm in good shape for all my attachments.

Now what do I put the FEL on once I get one? 318 or 332? I talked to the wife and I'm looking to get one by the end of summer since I have 2 bad knees and a back with 2 bulging discs and a ruptured disc. I can't keep "man handling" things much longer so it's time for a FEL. Both have power steering so they would be the best choices. I'm just not sure what one I want to mow with and snow blow with once I get a FEL.

I'm really happy with this tractor and if it only has 377hrs wow, it's gonna be around for awhile. I have no clue how many hrs are on the 332 so........... I guess if the hrs are true the 318 should be the mower.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Nice one. I bought a 318 brand new in 89. I live on a little over an acre of hill, it never had any problems.

What kind of Mopar do you have. One of my all time favorites was a 65 Coronet. I have a 68 Cuda, Formula S convertible.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Sweet! Nice to have a back up tractor. Get the 332 injection pump professionally rebuilt. Also buy new injectors from JD since new ones don't cost much more new vs to be professionally rebuilt.

·
Parts collector
3,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nice one. I bought a 318 brand new in 89. I live on a little over an acre of hill, it never had any problems.

What kind of Mopar do you have. One of my all time favorites was a 65 Coronet. I have a 68 Cuda, Formula S convertible.
68 FS Cuda, VERT yet! NICE! Pre 70's for me is a 65 Polara or a 65 Furry.

70-71 T/A Challenger is my dream car. I have lost more deals on one of those years (only one 70 T/A $500 for the shell and I knew where the numbers matching engine and trans were at) than I care to remember and now even rusty junk is out of my price range. I've been a truck guy for the last 30 years. I currently have a 77 Ramcharger 400/727, a 79 Ramcharger built 360/727 37.5 tires for off road use only, an 80 Trailduster 318.4 speed, an 88 W250 360/5 speed (yes 5 speed, I pulled a JY Dakota trans and fabed everything to make it work) standard cab long bed plow truck, a 2000 Durango, an 02 Durango, a 93 W250 club cab long bed diesel (daily driver), my wife's 2000 club cab short bed diesel 5 speed (yes she bough it for her self right before we got married) and a 73 Charger SE 400/727 with 78K mile all numbers matching.

Wow! No wonder my wife wants me to get rid of 2 tractors now! 7 trucks and a car plus the 6 tractors plus parts for all of them. Hey she married it. LOL....... :ROFLMAO:

Sweet! Nice to have a back up tractor. Get the 332 injection pump professionally rebuilt. Also buy new injectors from JD since new ones don't cost much more new vs to be professionally rebuilt.
I have a used injection pump I bought off ebay for the 332 I just haven't gotten it on yet. I have a used set of injectors also. If the used pump doesn't work I will have all the extra stuff rebuild at a shop I know. Heck I may even tear the engine down and do bearings and rings. We will see.

·
Parts collector
3,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
And you haven't put up a picture of the Charger!! I had a 74 SE Charger with the 318 in it. I loved the look of that car!!

Ok I'll see if i can find one............ It needs restored but only 2 rust holes since it was a NC car. I still need to figure out how to get a title. The guy I bought it from didn't have one just a bill of sale and the Notary was not open when we picked the car up go get a notarized bill of sale for me or i would have one already. Then the guy fell off the map, quit his job and is nowhere to be found. I have the original owners title that was transferred to his brother when he went to jail, but he was put to death in prison 30 years ago. :eek:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts