My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Just me
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

Well, I just hit 8.1 hours on the little meeter and I recall being told by the salesperson that I would have to do some things to the mower at this time.

I just don't remember what. I ~think~ she told me to change the oil. I think I can probably manage that without too much going wrong but anything else above that is going to be outside of my mechanical skill level. :hide:

Can anyone recommend what it is I must do? Is there like a video on Youtube showing how to do stuff on a John Deere?

Thanks! :)

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
generally, when you buy a new tractor, you do the change the oil after the first few hours of operation.

you could always call your local john deere dealer and ask them

·
Registered
627 Posts
At 8 hours I would do the oil & filter, check the belt tensions to be sure they are not too loose, and look for any kind of leaks. They usually suggest to check bolts and tire lugs to be sure they are tight.

Chances are all you need to do is the oil & filter if your dealer set up the tractor properly.

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
ccsial is right on. Change the oil and filter, do a general "walk around" check and make sure that belts are tight, bolts are tight. And you will be good to go.

·
Premium Member
9,754 Posts
Which model did you get??

I would ask the dealer why you didn't get an owners manual with the tractor.

There is a whole page of service intervals.

·
Just me
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Which model did you get??

I would ask the dealer why you didn't get an owners manual with the tractor.

There is a whole page of service intervals.
Hi all!

Thank you for the feedback!

Oh, first off, I have an LA-145.. :D

Well I have a manual but I don't really follow it too well. I think they assume that everyone that reads it is skilled at working on machines, which I am not.

I found the manual and it says to grease things but how do you grease things?
It shows pictures of the places to grease but doesn't show how to do it?

I think it's also saying to use two kinds. One it says to use "general all-purpose grease" and another place it says to use "general all-purpose spray lubricant"..

I looked on the mower and there's little metal things sticking out of the places it says to grease it. You just wipe grease on those? Seems awful messy. :confused:

Should I just go to the dealer and tell them what I need to do and let them sell me the items I need to do it?

Changing the oil looks straight forward enough but the man in the video had a hard time getting the filter off. It looks like he had a tool for doing that that he had to resort to. If he couldn't get the filter off by hand I certainly can't.

Maybe the dealer can show me how to do these things. And like the guy in the video, maybe I should use JD brand oils and stuff so they can't say I did anything wrong.

I'm sorry if I sound dumb but I've never had a nice mower before and this is all new to me. I had an old piece of junk before and all I ever did was put gas in it and hate on it, it was a real piece of c**p...

Thanks guys! :)

·
6,553 Posts
I'm not being smart when I say this. Perhaps you should let a dealer do the service work. The last thing you need to do is mess up the service and then have something catastrophic occour and have them void the warranty. Or, if you know someone who is familiar with how to do the service, have them come over and work with you and teach you how to use a grease gun, identify what a grease zerk is (those things you put grease into) etc. Again NOT trying to come off as being rude or smart, but these are expensive toys and if you lack the basic knowledge then you need someone who can teach you.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Hi all!

Thank you for the feedback!

Oh, first off, I have an LA-145.. :D

Well I have a manual but I don't really follow it too well. I think they assume that everyone that reads it is skilled at working on machines, which I am not.

I found the manual and it says to grease things but how do you grease things?
It shows pictures of the places to grease but doesn't show how to do it?

I think it's also saying to use two kinds. One it says to use "general all-purpose grease" and another place it says to use "general all-purpose spray lubricant"..

I looked on the mower and there's little metal things sticking out of the places it says to grease it. You just wipe grease on those? Seems awful messy.
:confused:

Should I just go to the dealer and tell them what I need to do and let them sell me the items I need to do it?

Changing the oil looks straight forward enough but the man in the video had a hard time getting the filter off. It looks like he had a tool for doing that that he had to resort to. If he couldn't get the filter off by hand I certainly can't.

Maybe the dealer can show me how to do these things. And like the guy in the video, maybe I should use JD brand oils and stuff so they can't say I did anything wrong.

I'm sorry if I sound dumb but I've never had a nice mower before and this is all new to me. I had an old piece of junk before and all I ever did was put gas in it and hate on it, it was a real piece of c**p...

Since your kowledge is rather limited on mechanical things (no offence meant!).

I would take it back to the dealer and have them do it. It would be a really smart thing in your case because if anything goes wrong and you start talking about warrenty etc., they won't be able to talk back if it was their work! The price is laughfable compared to a new tractor if you goof up.(like forgetting to tighten the oil pan screw etc.):fing20:
In the mean time you will have enough time to learn some basical repair by reading, watching videos etc. to tackle the next service!
I am quite lazy when it comes down to service. I do a general lookover before I ever start it, with greasing and lubrication, tightening and general workover. Actually I almost spray down the whole tractor in grease. A second time after 5-10 hrs and after that it should simply run without any major problems.

Good luck!

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
You need a grease gun for those little pointy things called Zerk fittings.

Surely you have a neighbor with a pickup truck, who sees a "just say no to crack" sign and pulls his pants up? Grab a 6 pack of Sam Adams, and see if he'll give you a little OJT.

·
Just me
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh oh. Zerk? That sounds like some science fiction bad guy..

Well, I don't have any way to take my mower in to a dealer, I just have a small car and a small van. There is no way the mower would fit in either and I don't have a trailer. :(

I paid the dealership $50 to have the thing delivered to my house when I bought it. So it's pretty much stuck here.

I guess I will go to the dealer and buy the things I need to take care of it and then see if I can get a neighbor to help or show me how to do this.

If I tell the dealer what it is I'm needing to do I would think they would be able to tell me which items to purchase.

I guess I'm going to have to learn something new. I fear I shall get dirty in the process.. :eek:

·
Super Moderator
17,119 Posts
Dee Ann I sen you a PM with some help:thThumbsU

·
Registered
843 Posts
Oh oh. Zerk? ....
I paid the dealership $50 to have the thing delivered to my house when I bought it. So it's pretty much stuck here.

I guess I will go to the dealer and buy the things I need to take care of it and then see if I can get a neighbor to help or show me how to do this.

If I tell the dealer what it is I'm needing to do I would think they would be able to tell me which items to purchase.

I guess I'm going to have to learn something new. I fear I shall get dirty in the process.. :eek:

In that case have him go over the points needed for the 8hr service. I am sure you can take photos of the important steps along the way.

Good luck,

·
Banned
297 Posts
No body mentioned air filter[or did they?],but you need to take it out and clean it kinda often.

I thought them jd dealers came to your house and did the service? or was that sears?,anyways,if they would come to your house,they could do one[change oil and filter,air filter,grease],than you could watch and do next time,,or if you had a local somebody kinda help once,you could do it next time,,tools,you'll need a grease gun with a tube of grease in it,oil filter wrench of some sort that fits filter[they make different sized ones],depending on oil drain,you may or may not need proper size wrench to fit drain[some new ones just have a plastic valve now],,probably a funnel,,its like about every thing else,if you never done something before its a mystery,but after,its generally a piece of cake,,

·
6,553 Posts
Of course a JD Dealer will come to your house and perform the service, they offer that service but of course you pay for it.

If transporting it to the dealer is not an option and you want to learn how to do this stuff, it's really not rocket science, you just need to be thorough, follow the steps, keep a clean environment and make sure when you are done, that there are no leaks, drain plugs are tight and fluid levels have been checked.

·
Banned
297 Posts
Wonder what they charge for that simple,15 min job??
I f it was reasonable,she might could learn how to do it after that.[have a camera and take pictures]

·
My Orange Jane Deere
3,358 Posts
Do not call the dealer to come out. If he hit you for $50.00 to deliver a new tractor to your house.What is he 100 miles away.:fing20:

1 - 20 of 113 Posts