My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
I wish the h311 I had finished it this summer and its a dang shame I didnt, but heck the mowing season is about over now and Im not gonna allow myself to let it go till next spring and am pretty disgusted at myself for it to'
Prob now is after I get some head bolts I can get it on and after that I honestly dont know what sequence to start putting the thing back together and I hate to bolt something on and have to remove it to put something on that shoulda went on first..shew that was a mouthfull!
But Im gonna have to go to my pic library I recon.
I guess the fan shroud would be next then maybe the carb.
Its srripped down pretty good, but I can figure it out especially with the crew on here, they have always been glad to help but Im sure they wish I would get done to but I have so much other stuff to do and health is failing to.
Here's a kinda B4 & after show but I gotta tell ya when those bolts cracked the jug when I "was about done" I kinda said 'heck with it' and didnt mess with it for a long time. Doing a jug change isnt anything I expected to do or thought I could possibly do and had I not happened to have a spare jug I would have made a flower pot outta the thing.

Attachments

·
Daryl G
876 Posts
Mark,
I seem to remember that you already purchased the replacement head bolts. I know that you were inquiring a long time ago about the stainless steel head bolts that one of the vendors was selling and I thought you ended up buying a set. This sticks out in my mind because I researched this when you were asking and my opinion is that those bolts are not good for this application (not just the material but the size too). Check your stash and see if you do not already have new head bolts.

·
Daryl G
876 Posts
Mark,
Disregard my last reply... I am using an Ipad with a very sketchy and unreliable internet connection and all of the posts did not show UNTIL after I posted my poorly timed response! I see that it looks like the head is already on now.

Edit: I found the problem. I was attempting to reply to ÿour '10th and final time' thread after getting kicked off numerous times...

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Mark,
Disregard my last reply... I am using an Ipad with a very sketchy and unreliable internet connection and all of the posts did not show UNTIL after I posted my poorly timed response! I see that it looks like the head is already on now.

Edit: I found the problem. I was attempting to reply to ÿour '10th and final time' thread after getting kicked off numerous times...
Hey Fireant, actually your'e probably right however I spend like a fool and bought all cad bolts a cpl days ago and went back today to just look around ( Im off on Friday usually w/a paycheck) and figured I'd go look at some bolts and got a whole set of the grayish ones in grade 5 ( 3 hash marks) and the cads have the 6 hash marks on head but I was worried about washers so got a bunch of them.
But their size incriments are limited so I got in both type 5/16 x 18 in 1 1/4 & 1 1/2 & 2" lengths.
But head isnt on yet but jug is and putting head on is why I came out here today, had to clean uo threaded holes in jug & head yesterday to be safe.

Oh I think I got it now, the pic w/head on is the old head and I posted it so the previous poster could kinda see a before & after of what I had.
I didnt think he was familiar with my "saga" lol! Or pathetic saga lol.

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Mark,

Fireant, I need some advise. I guess I shoulda gotten longer bolts because the ones I have are not going thru the holes in the top of the jug.
but are meeting where the through-holes are but just arent sticking out if you know what I mean. I have one in just not even hand-tight to see what the deal was and I cant just pull the head off but do you ( or anyone else that knows) think this could possibly work?
I can go back and get more tomorrow BTW.
Thanks

·
Daryl G
876 Posts
Fireant, I need some advise. I guess I shoulda gotten longer bolts because the ones I have are not going thru the holes in the top of the jug.
but are meeting where the through-holes are but just arent sticking out if you know what I mean. I have one in just not even hand-tight to see what the deal was and I cant just pull the head off but do you ( or anyone else that knows) think this could possibly work?
I can go back and get more tomorrow BTW.
Thanks
Mark,
I am sure that you will get various responses BUT my opinion is to stick with the proper 1-3/8" length for the 10 bolts and the 2" length for the longer two. I realize that others have reported successfully using 1-1/2" long bolts but do not forget what happened earlier to your other jug. If you are not able to remove an 1/8" length from the 1-1/2" bolts you purchased, I would place an order with Fastnel for the proper-sized 1-3/8" length... the cost of these 10 is minimal. well, that is what I would recommend - do not chance fate!!!

edit: here is some additional info... https://www.mytractorforum.com/9965786-post25.html

·
Premium Member
4,187 Posts
What matters is if you can get the torque you need (20 ft/lb) without breaking anything.

If it makes you feel better, by all means go buy bolts of different lengths.

At the end of the day, it's about the torque, and not breaking anything.

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thanks both of you, but what happened to my last jug was the bolts were to long and struck and put pressure on the fins that caused the fins to break but these are shorter and seems to end up flush with the holes that exit the bottom of top of jug after they go thru the head of course and do not have any danger of hitting any fins because they seem to be flush with hole that makes then head for the fins.
If I dont feel good about them when I check them out tomorrow I'll just go back to TSCor hardware store ( I forgot about them) and see what else I can come up with. I just didnt want a 1/4 " of washers on those bolts.
Theres a Fastenall a mile or so from here and I may be able to walk out w/the correct ones.
I stay in such a hurry I forget about a lot of my resorces.
Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
4,187 Posts
what happened to my last jug was the bolts were to long and struck and put pressure on the fins that caused the fins to break
Yep, we remember that story :)

but these are shorter and seems to end up flush with the holes that exit the bottom of top of jug
Actually, per earlier in one of these threads, the correct bolts for the 7.6 jug are a bit longer than those for the earlier ones. The reason they look shorter is because the holes are deeper on the newer jugs.

Either way, you should be fine. It would take bolts substantially longer that you had before to cause a problem with the new jug.

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Yep, we remember that story :)

Actually, per earlier in one of these threads, the correct bolts for the 7.6 jug are a bit longer than those for the earlier ones. The reason they look shorter is because the holes are deeper on the newer jugs.

Either way, you should be fine. It would take bolts substantially longer that you had before to cause a problem with the new jug.
Yea and this time Im watching what Im doing cause last time was my first rodeo and I just blindly was wrenching the bolts in there and didnt think or know about them even coming out anywhere.
I just went to Fastenall and they are closed on saturday and that wizzed me off so then I went to hdwre store and all they had was a cpl grommets I need so I found myself back at TSC buying longer bolts but will see whats goin on before installing anything.
Now my prob is gonna be the torque, I bought a new torque wrench but its in those stupid inch-pounds or something and I nor anyone I can find can convert that dang thing to ft. lbs or whatever it is.
I might have to just tighten them down as evenly as I can.
I cant leave here again today, I have grass to mow an awning to clean and mess with this head issue.

·
Premium Member
4,187 Posts
I bought a new torque wrench but its in those stupid inch-pounds or something and I nor anyone I can find can convert that dang thing to ft. lbs or whatever it is.
12 inches to a foot, last time I looked.

20 ft/lb = 240 in/lb

·
Premium Member
4,187 Posts
Good practice when torquing head bolts is to first torque everything a little light, then make a pass to get get them all dead on. So you could set your wrench to 200, do them all, then add in the last 40 in/lb.

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Good practice when torquing head bolts is to first torque everything a little light, then make a pass to get get them all dead on. So you could set your wrench to 200, do them all, then add in the last 40 in/lb.
Sounds good,I guess the wrench just goes limp when it hits the set poundage?
I wish I had one of the beam-type that clicked every pound you hit ( I guess that was it ) and then it just went limp when it got there.

But thats what I'll do if I ever get it to where it will bolt on that is.

·
Premium Member
4,187 Posts
Sounds good,I guess the wrench just goes limp when it hits the set poundage?
It'll "click" when you get to torque. The head shifts a little in the handle, causing an audible click, which you can also feel through the handle.

Try it not on a real part. Pick a bolt on something you don't care much about, turn the torque down, and try the wrench. Or stick the square drive in a vice and try pulling on the handle.

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
It'll "click" when you get to torque. The head shifts a little in the handle, causing an audible click, which you can also feel through the handle.

Try it not on a real part. Pick a bolt on something you don't care much about, turn the torque down, and try the wrench. Or stick the square drive in a vice and try pulling on the handle.
Makes sense thanks

21 - 36 of 36 Posts