My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cant believe it, I fretted and worried all spring and summer about how I was gonna get this stuff back together and give this thing to my son like I was supposed to at least 2 yrs. ago, so I finally manned up and said "I gotta do this!"
And with prolly just 15 minutes of work Ive went from the first pic to the second one. And Im pretty ashamed of myself for it mainly because my son had to go another summer without it.
But Im gonna keep on truckin with it and maybe he can use it for his last mowing this year with it.

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
I cant believe it, I fretted and worried all spring and summer about how I was gonna get this stuff back together and give this thing to my son like I was supposed to at least 2 yrs. ago, so I finally manned up and said "I gotta do this!"
And with prolly just 15 minutes of work Ive went from the first pic to the second one. And Im pretty ashamed of myself for it mainly because my son had to go another summer without it.
But Im gonna keep on truckin with it and maybe he can use it for his last mowing this year with it.
Keep at it and it will be done before you know it. Looks great from my house. ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
What's the issue? Project creep? Motivation? Too comfy of a couch? I have a 66 Mustang that I also play with, and I have found myself putting it aside for the dumbest reasons, but mostly because I can. So now, when I decide on a project for it, I lay out not only a parts list, but a timeline. I keep it small and not difficult to meet, but I try to stick to it. For instance, I installed disc brakes. So, Saturday get the car in the air, wheels off, drums off. Sunday, brakes off, backing plates off. Etc, etc. It also helps with the family obligations. I make sure that the wife is agreeable to my timeline, and doesn't have any other plans for me. I'm new here, but have been playing in the garage since I was just a kid. It seems with age, I've needed to do the above more and more to keep me motivated on projects. We will see how well I follow my own advice on this next project. (My tired little L110)

·
Daryl G
857 Posts
Gerrard,
Not that anyone is counting... but it has been THREE years!!! :tango_face_wink:You bought your machine before I ever acquired my first Gravely and I am now a very (self-professed) seasoned Gravely user. Yes, your beast will go together very quickly (you will kick yourself because of the relative ease in which this happens). I have three machines that need attention right now but it is simply too hot in the south to work on them (replace fan belt, carburetor/governor issue, and suspected trash in combustion chamber).

·
Premium Member
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What's the issue? Project creep? Motivation? Too comfy of a couch? I have a 66 Mustang that I also play with, and I have found myself putting it aside for the dumbest reasons, but mostly because I can. So now, when I decide on a project for it, I lay out not only a parts list, but a timeline. I keep it small and not difficult to meet, but I try to stick to it. For instance, I installed disc brakes. So, Saturday get the car in the air, wheels off, drums off. Sunday, brakes off, backing plates off. Etc, etc. It also helps with the family obligations. I make sure that the wife is agreeable to my timeline, and doesn't have any other plans for me. I'm new here, but have been playing in the garage since I was just a kid. It seems with age, I've needed to do the above more and more to keep me motivated on projects. We will see how well I follow my own advice on this next project. (My tired little L110)
Thats about right alright but health is about the main thing. Im not about to keel-over yet but if I dont loose some wt. I will, cant get no blood flow to my legs because of it and smoking to of course and when I get off work I almost have to crawl from my truck to inside the house.
Im not a big enuf person to carry this wt. around. When I was 40 I weighed 135 lbs. and now Im 59 and weigh like 197, may as well say 200 lbs.
And when weekends come I gotta mow and bla bla bla. But its all on me and I dont blame anyone else. Just wish I had some willpower, ya know.

·
Premium Member
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gerrard,
Not that anyone is counting... but it has been THREE years!!! :tango_face_wink:You bought your machine before I ever acquired my first Gravely and I am now a very (self-professed) seasoned Gravely user. Yes, your beast will go together very quickly (you will kick yourself because of the relative ease in which this happens). I have three machines that need attention right now but it is simply too hot in the south to work on them (replace fan belt, carburetor/governor issue, and suspected trash in combustion chamber).
OMG The heat is about the same here to, a solid month @ 90 or 90+ and as down south the mosquitoes is quickly becoming the state bird!
Im originally from New Orleans so I do know where your'e coming from. And B4 the heat came it rained for so long every day the news said the mosquitoes would be bad because their eggs were in the soft wet ground early, always "too something" around here, too wet, too dry, too hot, too cold always something lol.
See ya bud
And one thing for sure I do know how to operate these things alright, grew up doin it.
When I was a youngster my boss who lived across the street from us would leave me and the Gravely pretty much in the woods w/ 4 tine tiller ( I think 4 ) and a can of gas and milk jug of water & steel rake, chain saw, wheel barrow & shovel and say " We'll be back just before dark and have this ready to seed". lol..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thats about right alright but health is about the main thing. Im not about to keel-over yet but if I dont loose some wt. I will, cant get no blood flow to my legs because of it and smoking to of course and when I get off work I almost have to crawl from my truck to inside the house.
Im not a big enuf person to carry this wt. around. When I was 40 I weighed 135 lbs. and now Im 59 and weigh like 197, may as well say 200 lbs.
And when weekends come I gotta mow and bla bla bla. But its all on me and I dont blame anyone else. Just wish I had some willpower, ya know.
I feel ya! I'm 42, and 40 hit me hard. I didn't change anything I was doing, but somehow gained 15 lbs. I'm only 5'6", so my ideal weight is about 155. I'm not quite 180 right now. I've been working on projects in short burst lately, and setting small goals to achieve. It at least gets me off the couch.

Oh, and start vaping. It'll make you 35 years younger!:tango_face_grin: (But you have to get some really stupid tattoo and a Subaru WRX.)

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
You'll can't lose weight if you don't commit to doing so. Trust me...I know this. In 2013 I rode my bike, walked and ran and ended up weighing 170...a 30 pound weight loss is 3 months. Since then, I crept back up to 210, but decided in February that I was going to lose weight again. I walked, ran, improved my diet, quit drinking Pepsi....and now weigh 176.
Quitting smoking is the same way...you cannot do it unless you truly want to. I'm the voice of experience here too...I used to smoke 5 packs a day. I tried to quit at least a half-dozen times with no success until I decided that I was DONE! I decided to wait a few more minutes to light up...which became an hour...then a day and finally the first week was over. I had carried a pack in my pocket all that first week so I never got the panic "of , my Goad...I'm out of cigarettes" feeling. At that point I put them away and never lit up again. Wasn't easy for a long time, but I did it. Anyone can....when they truly want to.
As for the poor circulation in your legs, one of the users here built a "table" they can ramp their tractor up on to so they can work without squatting down...would that help you? I think it would be much more comfortable, but I have no room in my garage for one. If I ever manage to get a tractor shed, I'll build one.

·
Premium Member
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I feel ya! I'm 42, and 40 hit me hard. I didn't change anything I was doing, but somehow gained 15 lbs. I'm only 5'6", so my ideal weight is about 155. I'm not quite 180 right now. I've been working on projects in short burst lately, and setting small goals to achieve. It at least gets me off the couch.

Oh, and start vaping. It'll make you 35 years younger!:tango_face_grin: (But you have to get some really stupid tattoo and a Subaru WRX.)
Im shorter than that and better watch that vapin. I actually quit smoking w/vaping for a month and a half and felt great after just 2 days but I had a vape stick in my hand all day n night and blood came out of my nose everytime I blew it ( and I mean real blood!)and everytime I spit and I was getting "pop-corn lung", its made from the oil they cook pop corn in.
And P.S. Dont forget the plastic kayac on top of the Subaru and the "coexist" bumper sticker lol! A kayac that only gets wet in the rain BTW!

·
Premium Member
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You'll can't lose weight if you don't commit to doing so. Trust me...I know this. In 2013 I rode my bike, walked and ran and ended up weighing 170...a 30 pound weight loss is 3 months. Since then, I crept back up to 210, but decided in February that I was going to lose weight again. I walked, ran, improved my diet, quit drinking Pepsi....and now weigh 176.
Quitting smoking is the same way...you cannot do it unless you truly want to. I'm the voice of experience here too...I used to smoke 5 packs a day. I tried to quit at least a half-dozen times with no success until I decided that I was DONE! I decided to wait a few more minutes to light up...which became an hour...then a day and finally the first week was over. I had carried a pack in my pocket all that first week so I never got the panic "of , my Goad...I'm out of cigarettes" feeling. At that point I put them away and never lit up again. Wasn't easy for a long time, but I did it. Anyone can....when they truly want to.
As for the poor circulation in your legs, one of the users here built a "table" they can ramp their tractor up on to so they can work without squatting down...would that help you? I think it would be much more comfortable, but I have no room in my garage for one. If I ever manage to get a tractor shed, I'll build one
Your'e 100% right about everything, and its affecting every aspect of my life and Ive about had it. I just hope I make the decision before the guy upstairs makes it for me and Im in a bed at the local hospital having open heart surgery.
People have to hit bottom before they act and some of us have to hit it hard, sometimes to hard to get back up ya know/
Take care.

·
Premium Member
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I kno some of you like pics and I like to post them so here;s a few from when I took the mutt out in the yard to do her binnus, prolly was out there 30 mins, Bolted or ( nutted) down the jug after cleaning nuts w/a .30 cal brush on a small drill/driver. Put a small amt of blue thread locker on studs and tightened her down.
Valves seem to be working but they have not been adjusted at all yet as you can see in pics.
20190818_190745.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
An alternate route is to go get threaded studs like used on exhaust manifolds. I used Dorman 675-093 which are 2" OAL with coarse threads which go into the jug and fine threads for a nut and a ANSI washer. You will need longer ones for the two bolts/studs hold down the air shield which I think I used 2.5" studs and spacers with a nut and washed holding the head and then the spacer, the shield and then another nut and washer. See photos at the end of this thread:

https://www.mytractorforum.com/24-gravely/1316933-1961-li-work-progress-2.html

·
Registered
53 Posts
I kno some of you like pics and I like to post them so here;s a few from when I took the mutt out in the yard to do her binnus, prolly was out there 30 mins, Bolted or ( nutted) down the jug after cleaning nuts w/a .30 cal brush on a small drill/driver. Put a small amt of blue thread locker on studs and tightened her down.
Valves seem to be working but they have not been adjusted at all yet as you can see in pics.
View attachment 2391941
**** man, you are almost done. How can you stand it? You have more patience than anyone I know. Get this thing done so we can see it. Where are you, if close I will come over and finish it for you. ?

Just looked, you are in West Virginia. Too far for me to come for an hour's work. But please, hurry up.

·
Premium Member
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As far as patience goes I have no use for this thing, I got it as a hobby and to give to my son when Im finished with it. I live right in the middle of town now and mow w/a push mower lol.
Im a busy person and have many things to do and not to mention I have probably 35 or so new parts to put on this thing altho mostly cosmetic but not all like fuel bowl, rebuilt carb, new fan bearings (installed already), dual adapters and 4 new tires. I plan on it being like a new 1966 model L.
And whenever Im finished with this I will prolly get another one.
Im trying to get away from buying guns but messed up and bought one today.
I have much to do and toss in a job that is 50 miles away one way.
Im just fina w/how long it is taking, and if it bothers anyone else well all I can say is " lifes a ^%$# aint it" lol!

·
Registered
53 Posts
As far as patience goes I have no use for this thing, I got it as a hobby and to give to my son when Im finished with it. I live right in the middle of town now and mow w/a push mower lol.
Im a busy person and have many things to do and not to mention I have probably 35 or so new parts to put on this thing altho mostly cosmetic but not all like fuel bowl, rebuilt carb, new fan bearings (installed already), dual adapters and 4 new tires. I plan on it being like a new 1966 model L.
And whenever Im finished with this I will prolly get another one.
Im trying to get away from buying guns but messed up and bought one today.
I have much to do and toss in a job that is 50 miles away one way.
Im just fina w/how long it is taking, and if it bothers anyone else well all I can say is " lifes a ^%$# aint it" lol!
Gerrard, I apologize if I seemed to be insulting. I just get a little excited when something is almost done, and want to see it finished. I guess I am impatient. I meant nothing by it. I will just have to wait to see the finished product. Sorry if I offended you.

Lnk

·
Premium Member
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Gerrard, I apologize if I seemed to be insulting. I just get a little excited when something is almost done, and want to see it finished. I guess I am impatient. I meant nothing by it. I will just have to wait to see the finished product. Sorry if I offended you.

Lnk
You didnt offend me and dont ever worry about that stuff. But I know where your'e comming from and Im sure a lot of folks here and tired of hearing of me and my tractor lol.
A lot of folks on here need to hurry up and fix theirs cause they need to get it back on-line fast and put it back to work, then you have ppl who like me are just doing it as a cool hobby as we or at least I age ( Im 59). But the story is I used to use these things on a daily basis when a younger dude and my son bought his own place and I said "you need a Gravely" and he replied "what are those" and it was on lol!
But no prob man, none at all
Mark
Oh yea, Im sorry if I sounded like a grumpy old p****, didnt mean to bite your'e head off lol!
Take care

·
Registered
53 Posts

Lnk
You didnt offend me and dont ever worry about that stuff. But I know where your'e comming from and Im sure a lot of folks here and tired of hearing of me and my tractor lol.
A lot of folks on here need to hurry up and fix theirs cause they need to get it back on-line fast and put it back to work, then you have ppl who like me are just doing it as a cool hobby as we or at least I age ( Im 59). But the story is I used to use these things on a daily basis when a younger dude and my son bought his own place and I said "you need a Gravely" and he replied "what are those" and it was on lol!
But no prob man, none at all
Mark
Oh yea, Im sorry if I sounded like a grumpy old p****, didnt mean to bite your'e head off lol!
Take care
We are good. I am glad I didn't offend you. No worries. Now, back to the show.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts