My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
Many I fix them all
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the shop we have 3 trailers..90% of the time I use the big one last night I decided to use the small one as I have to drop a tractor off to a customer then head to my parents to cut some tress ...i dont like how this one handles and the deck is very flimsy..My business partner loves this thing to me it needs a longer tounge and some steel not mesh for decking

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I made a extension for my receiver hitch long enough that I can let my tailgate down while a trailer is is connected to the vec. Also the trailer is more user friendly to back up.
I carry a tail light extension cable in my tool box.

Also on them type lawn tractors I do not winch/drive them all the way forward. I have a rear tie down to hold the tractor back somewhat.
Doing such does not break/bend the front of the hood.
I would not like that trailer either as is.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
At the shop we have 3 trailers..90% of the time I use the big one last night I decided to use the small one as I have to drop a tractor off to a customer then head to my parents to cut some tress ...i dont like how this one handles and the deck is very flimsy..My business partner loves this thing to me it needs a longer tounge and some steel not mesh for decking View attachment 2512721
Lengthening the tongue may result in a lot of sway side-to-side. If you could see the tongue while driving would be good. I’m with you on a stiff deck material whether steel or treated lumber. A lot has to do with the support member (side-to-side) spacing, width, and stiffness. That’s why good trailers cost more though. Here’s my frame of reference. First and probably only one I’ve owned, but I did use a similar 10’ aluminum trailer that a friend has. I knew I wanted at least 12’. Turns out to be 6-8” short to carry my X738 with Cyclone Rake. It travels great as did my friend’s 10’er. very little bounce or sway. May be as a result of the weight I carry, usually 1200#+, but it has substantial bracing to the tongue.

·
Super Moderator
10,585 Posts
For a tractor that size and local deliveries that thing is pretty good...the expanded steel deck is actually really strong stuff..weld another piece of steel across it underneath will probably give you morstability and confidence in it..I have to rent when I use a trailer...I usually wind up with the Uhaul with the drive up gate / ramp...really heavy ...and very well made

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have a little 4' x 6' utility trailer just like op's except no drop gate.
Yours looks like axle kind of to the rear, mine is pretty much centered under the box

·
Premium Member
Many I fix them all
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Premium Member
Many I fix them all
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It bounces all over the place...I am.used to the big tralier lol this one will do the trick I guess

·
Premium Member
Many I fix them all
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a little 4' x 6' utility trailer just like op's except no drop gate.
Yours looks like axle kind of to the rear, mine is pretty much centered under the box
He brought it back from Florida about 5 years ago ...with a rider on it ...I don't like where the wheels are it bounces like crazy and backing it up is a little tricky if she gets away from u
I am used to the bigger one and it backs up smoothly lol..maybe I am just fussy

·
Registered
719 Posts
Small light weight trailers do bounce around alot. I have noticed over the years having quite a few trailers that the ones the axles set farther to the rear are easier to back up.

My brother is a truck driver and one day he borrowed my 10' single axle trailer and said he'd back up a semi trailer all day compared to a small trailer like mine once.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I used my brothers 4x6 last year, talk about a nightmare going forward and backwards LOL. I then used his 6x8. I now own a 7x14 tandem, which is juuuuuust right :)

Reactions: bontai Joe

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
PA318 wrote:
I've never liked towing single axle trailers, they sway and bounce too much for my liking.

Right.

Someone also mentioned sway.
Couple things to first check that can really make a trailer sway and fish tail, Not enough weight on the tongue when loaded or unloaded.
AND If the caster and camber is not correct on the Axle (axles).
A single axle trailer can very easily get it's axle bent and fish tail, sway, bounce constantly.
You can check a trailer axle with a telescopic bar. The axle should be toed in by 1/8 to 1/4 inch at the front and about same at the top and bottom. If not toed in at the front they will not tow good.
You can review such on-line.

·
Premium Member
4,739 Posts
Oh I do agree I hate this thing ..

He has a small Nissan truck
Little truck with a little trailer. All is good with the world. Betting he can see the trailer long before it gets out of hand. By the time it hits your mirrors backing up its to late.
Next time put a flag in the middle of the ramp were you can see it threw the rear view. Much easier to keep track of the trailer that way.

·
Administrator
12,867 Posts
I guess I’m in the minority, I tow a 9’ utility trailer all the time and it doesn’t sway at all, but does bounce plenty over the bumps unloaded. 🙂

I can back it into my driveway (6 cars deep) without any issue, driver side or passenger side. Lots of practice over the 30 odd years I’ve had it. The tongue is about 4’ long and I have the hitch ball mount a couple inches higher than the trailer and even loaded down it tows straight and true. Don’t get me wrong I’ve towed a UHaul twin axle here and there for bigger jobs and it did track very well but nothing that made me hate my utility trailer.

·
Premium Member
Many I fix them all
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I had my AZ for driving semi and moving traliers in and out of the shop and did the long haul thing for 2 years ..I will use the big tralier anyday over this rinky dink thing ...my enclosed tralier rides and backs up 10 times better as dose the big tandem we have...he has a small truck so the little tralier is perfect for him I do most of the hauling anyways and most times I haul them by two's...when your used to a bigger tralier the little ones get away quick if ur not on the ball

·
Citizen of Earth
15,958 Posts
I owned and used often a 6' x 10' single axle trailer with a wood deck. It bounced when empty, but almost all single axle trailer will bounce because they don't have shock absorbers and they are light in weight. The shorter the trailer, the harder they are to back up.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
I bought an even cheaper one last winter but I really like mine.
I used my BIL's 5x10 tilt for several years but it was heaver and driving the mower on and off was a little more drama than I wanted. I'll be 70 in a few months and the light and easy part is important to me. Yes the mesh bows down between supports and the 12 inch tires are cheesy but for moving one mower around it works well for me.
Cannon

·
Professional Homeowner
8,042 Posts
At the shop we have 3 trailers..90% of the time I use the big one last night I decided to use the small one as I have to drop a tractor off to a customer then head to my parents to cut some tress ...i dont like how this one handles and the deck is very flimsy..My business partner loves this thing to me it needs a longer tounge and some steel not mesh for decking View attachment 2512721
That trailer is towing poorly for 2 reasons. I didn’t read through the entire thread so I apologize if this is duplicated info.
#1 the tongue is up too high. Lower your ball mount so trailer is roughly level, maybe running downhill towards the tongue just a fuzz.
#2 without a load and traveling at highway speed or anything close, there’s a lot of air resistance on that tailgate. That makes the tongue really light, which makes it sway even worse. This problem is most noticeable when the trailer is empty.

·
Premium Member
Many I fix them all
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That trailer is towing poorly for 2 reasons. I didn’t read through the entire thread so I apologize if this is duplicated info.
#1 the tongue is up too high. Lower your ball mount so trailer is roughly level, maybe running downhill towards the tongue just a fuzz.
#2 without a load and traveling at highway speed or anything close, there’s a lot of air resistance on that tailgate. That makes the tongue really light, which makes it sway even worse. This problem is most noticeable when the trailer is empty.
y business partner has a little Nissan truck and I have a big 1500 Ram the tralier was a little high I have a drop hitch for the big tralier ots a 2 inch ball the small tralier uses a smaller ball I just grabbed his as I don't have one ..But i still like the big tralier better it rides true and don't bounce

Reactions: bontai Joe
1 - 20 of 38 Posts