My Tractor Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Where we ride they groom the roads but we very seldom use them. We had forest fires so you can go just about anywhere.

Here's what it looks like where they haven't logged yet and a couple photos from 1979.
It's nice to be able to ride wherever you want. Where I live, in northern Michigan, it's fairly heavily wooded, so most of the miles we rack up are on trails. But my favorite riding is just to go blasting across some empty field with 3 or 4 feet of snow on the ground, and go looking for the biggest snowdrifts you can find -- it's like floating on a cloud. Probably gives me a little glimpse of the quality of riding you guys get in the mountains!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
We have had 2 big dumps of snow here in Western WI.

Rode Tuesday, Wed., Thursday and Friday. About half the riding was in ungroomed trails and we were busting through a good 24" of soft powder. Much more technical riding especially on the side hills. There is so much snow groomers can't navigate the trails until the snow is beat down some.

It's snowing right now, about 3" so far today.:tango_face_smile:

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Got about 3-4" here yesterday, but 5-8 up in Hayward. Didn't ride here because I don't do weekends.:tango_face_crying:

Going to Hayward to stay with a buddy tomorrow.:tango_face_smile: They have a ton of snow but it is supposed to rain Wed. later in the day. Plan on putting as many miles on as possible as this will probably be it. :tango_face_plain:

FWIW, at my location, 75% of the time the golf courses open in March.

·
Administrator
7,066 Posts
Got about 3-4" here yesterday, but 5-8 up in Hayward. Didn't ride here because I don't do weekends.:tango_face_crying:

Going to Hayward to stay with a buddy tomorrow.:tango_face_smile: They have a ton of snow but it is supposed to rain Wed. later in the day. Plan on putting as many miles on as possible as this will probably be it. :tango_face_plain:

FWIW, at my location, 75% of the time the golf courses open in March.
Sounds like fun! Looking forward to the pics! :)

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Sounds like fun! Looking forward to the pics! :)

Got back today, and now it looks like the season is shot. It was getting warm yesterday up north. Today is was raining at home and the trails closed, up the parking lot was glazed and operation would burn the snowmobile up if one didn't have carbide scratchers, Yesterday even though there was ample loose snow, the machine started running hotter, (150 degrees). I put the scratchers down and temps dropped to 105-110.

·
Administrator
7,066 Posts
Got back today, and now it looks like the season is shot. It was getting warm yesterday up north. Today is was raining at home and the trails closed, up the parking lot was glazed and operation would burn the snowmobile up if one didn't have carbide scratchers, Yesterday even though there was ample loose snow, the machine started running hotter, (150 degrees). I put the scratchers down and temps dropped to 105-110.
Ah, shucks, well at least you tried and won't wonder "what if" if you had not tried to go. Do you have other powersports machines that you can enjoy in warmer weather?

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Ah, shucks, well at least you tried and won't wonder "what if" if you had not tried to go. Do you have other powersports machines that you can enjoy in warmer weather?

Got rid of the boat several years back and I live a few miles from the Mississippi. Never had the time to use it and I am retired. Playing 18 holes of golf every day eats up a lot of time. I've got an ATV but haven't had that up to the trails for the last couple years either.

Bought another mower last week, a JD X748 to supplement the mower fleet of a JD 2305 and Simplicity Conquest.:tango_face_smile:

·
Administrator
7,066 Posts
Got rid of the boat several years back and I live a few miles from the Mississippi. Never had the time to use it and I am retired. Playing 18 holes of golf every day eats up a lot of time. I've got an ATV but haven't had that up to the trails for the last couple years either.

Bought another mower last week, a JD X748 to supplement the mower fleet of a JD 2305 and Simplicity Conquest.:tango_face_smile:
Sounds like you have a couple of alternatives; I'm sure being out in the yard and enjoying the new to you X-series will fill some of that void. :tango_face_smile:

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I've been riding for about 10 years myself. I took the last ride of the season last week before the trails closed. Trails were perfect and have not been better in the area in a long time. I passed one other sled on a ~60 mile ride. I thought there would be more sleds out there on the last day especially since the trails were so nice.
Here's a pic of my sled. Wish the season were longer.

Attachments

·
Administrator
7,066 Posts
I've been riding for about 10 years myself. I took the last ride of the season last week before the trails closed. Trails were perfect and have not been better in the area in a long time. I passed one other sled on a ~60 mile ride. I thought there would be more sleds out there on the last day especially since the trails were so nice.
Here's a pic of my sled. Wish the season were longer.
Nice snow machine, it looks like a blast! :thThumbsU Thanks for the photo.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Sounds like you have a couple of alternatives; I'm sure being out in the yard and enjoying the new to you X-series will fill some of that void. :tango_face_smile:
Well I have a lot to fill the "Void". I still have about 12 cord of firewood to split and need to do some pruning on the apple trees. I have 680 trees in the backyard. :tango_face_wink:

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Here are 3 pics of the 2nd to the last day of the season. On a fresh groomed trail to boot.

I don't know why these end up upside down. But if you click to enlarge, then click again they flip?

Attachments

41 - 54 of 54 Posts