My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Brings back memories for me too, I also had an Alpine way back but with a 399 cc. engine in it with 26 hp but don't get that stuck. BTW the old machines had 114" tracks, not very good in deep snow. My last machine was a 2006 700 Sabercat with more horsepower than my car at the time. Gave it up because we don't seem to get much snow anymore.

·
Registered
80 Posts
You guys are making me miss my sledding years too.

This one is from back in '08 or '09. Hope I haven't posted it before. Really loved the snow that day. I'll get back into it someday.

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
Good times and memories.

I had a 1980 Yamaha SRX 440 (one of the best looking machines of that era, IMO) and a 1981 Yamaha SS 440, also a nice looking sled for the time. Currently have a 2002 Arctic Cat ZR 800 EFI, it unloaded me in 2014 in a plowed field, impinged my rotator cuff, last time I rode it was into the garage after I healed up some, haven't been on it since.

Snowmobiles have really changed over the years, the old Yamaha's could be thrown around like nobody's business, the Cat is a completely different ride and I bet the long track machines are another animal.

Just like dirt bikes, I had a 1978 Suzuki RM250, first aluminum swingarm on a Suzuki. They were the machine to have at the time, then along came the YZ's, KX's and CR Hondas. Those bikes evolved really fast in the late seventies and early eighties. Broke my collar bone on the RM, seems like pain is associated to fun!

I'm liking this easy chair right now..........

CCMoe

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Good times and memories.

I had a 1980 Yamaha SRX 440 (one of the best looking machines of that era, IMO) and a 1981 Yamaha SS 440, also a nice looking sled for the time. Currently have a 2002 Arctic Cat ZR 800 EFI, it unloaded me in 2014 in a plowed field, impinged my rotator cuff, last time I rode it was into the garage after I healed up some, haven't been on it since.

Snowmobiles have really changed over the years, the old Yamaha's could be thrown around like nobody's business, the Cat is a completely different ride and I bet the long track machines are another animal.

Just like dirt bikes, I had a 1978 Suzuki RM250, first aluminum swingarm on a Suzuki. They were the machine to have at the time, then along came the YZ's, KX's and CR Hondas. Those bikes evolved really fast in the late seventies and early eighties. Broke my collar bone on the RM, seems like pain is associated to fun!

I'm liking this easy chair right now..........

CCMoe
"Snowmobiles have really changed over the years, the old Yamaha's could be thrown around like nobody's business..."

I know exactly what you mean. Those small, lightweight machines were a blast to ride and you didn't have to go 100mph to be having fun. A few years ago, I came across some guy on eBay selling 2 1970 Ski-Doo Olympics that he discovered sitting under a cover in his Grandpa's barn. They looked about new -- no cracks in the hood, original seats in great condition, no rust on the skis, tunnel, or running boards -- and he was asking $700.00 for the pair. SOLD!!!!

Would I take them on a 100 mile cruise down trails full of moguls? No way -- but if you want to go out and have a blast bopping across the fields at 30 or 40 mph, you can't beat those old machines. I don't know how many times I tipped over sideways and fell off -- and got back up laughing. If I did that on a modern sled they'd be calling in the MediVac helicopter after they pried the snowmobile off my crushed body.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
"Snowmobiles have really changed over the years, the old Yamaha's could be thrown around like nobody's business..."

I know exactly what you mean. Those small, lightweight machines were a blast to ride and you didn't have to go 100mph to be having fun. A few years ago, I came across some guy on eBay selling 2 1970 Ski-Doo Olympics that he discovered sitting under a cover in his Grandpa's barn. They looked about new -- no cracks in the hood, original seats in great condition, no rust on the skis, tunnel, or running boards -- and he was asking $700.00 for the pair. SOLD!!!!

Would I take them on a 100 mile cruise down trails full of moguls? No way -- but if you want to go out and have a blast bopping across the fields at 30 or 40 mph, you can't beat those old machines. I don't know how many times I tipped over sideways and fell off -- and got back up laughing. If I did that on a modern sled they'd be calling in the MediVac helicopter after they pried the snowmobile off my crushed body.

They were fun to beat the ditches with, run down frozen creeks, chase neon looking for the amber ale.

These new sleds take a whole lot more room turn, don't even think of hopping down in a ditch with them.

Living here in Illinois, very seldom do we get a snow that even makes you think about digging out the gear. Roads are cleaned off so quick, sure don't see the tracks left from sleds zipping through the ditches like you used to.

Nice find on the old Ski-Doo, looks great.

CCMoe

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Well since getting the new sled, snow in this part of the State is non existent. Some snow up North. Going up Sunday to my buddies house. Going to install ice scratchers, a little work on putting ski glides on the new trailer and putting 3 more hours on the sled. Tuesday morning it is going in for the mandatory 10 hour service for warranty.

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Well since getting the new sled, snow in this part of the State is non existent. Some snow up North. Going up Sunday to my buddies house. Going to install ice scratchers, a little work on putting ski glides on the new trailer and putting 3 more hours on the sled. Tuesday morning it is going in for the mandatory 10 hour service for warranty.
Nice setup.

Saw a guy with a new Summit yesterday, he kept hitting the rev-limiter because he didn't have enough hours on it.

Our mountain sleds are so much different, those mirrors wouldn't last half a day. Pictures are from the Naneum Basin southwest of Wenatchee Washington.

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Our mountain sleds are so much different, those mirrors wouldn't last half a day.
Trust me when I tell you that most serious flat land sledders are on a steady diet of replacement mirrors.

I've been riding since 1968. My riding habits have changed over the years. Got rid of the old 600 EdgeX and am now relegated to a 97 Indy Trail Touring with non OEM seat, clutching, gears, brakes, skis, bumper, shocks, and windshield. 133.5" lightly studded track. Nice and light. What a mid nineties Indy Trail should have been. Sometimes I miss the hp, but I know even this can kill me.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Some really nice sleds pictured.
I still riding my 2005 Polaris XC 800 SP
Nothing wrong with the Edge chassis for trail riding. I still have a 2003 Vertical Escape with an Indy Dan engine in it I keep in case I want to introduce someone to the sport.

I rode it a couple times a few years ago when my new sleds engine had a piston skirt break off. In the hills in deep snow it's like riding a refrigerator.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Well just got back from Hayward, riding was very good even though the area did not have a lot of snow. Yesterday went out in the morning to the service appointment and had 3" of fresh snow. In the after noon the trail we took it turns out we were the 1st sled on it after the groomer.:tango_face_grin:

I have changed my mind, the 2008 Nytro with super low miles is going up for sale tomorrow. There is no way I am going to ride it after getting used to the Renegade Enduro. The Ski Doo is so much smoother with the long track and turns so much better. Power delivery is very different. The Nytro has very aggressive torque on the low end but just kind of runs out of steam after 80mph. The Renegade pulls very hard and just keeps on pulling harder the faster it goes. 100mph is achieved very quickly and it still has throttle left.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Finally got some snow in this part of the State, a good 10" and still coming.

·
Registered
72 Posts
We have good snow but when we got back to the truck Saturday it must have been 80 degrees in the cab. Yesterday we had 57 degrees at our house.

This is my 49th year riding a snowmobile in the hills that surround the valley I live in. Here's a photo of me when I was 16, I'm standing next to a trailer house that's setting on 50 gallon barrels.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Trails opened here today at 3pm. I was first one the trail behind a groomer, some trails still had virgin snow.

Don't know what happened to the pics, I don't live on the bottom of the globe.:tango_face_plain:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
25,851 Posts
Trails opened here today at 3pm. I was first one the trail behind a groomer, some trails still had virgin snow.

Don't know what happened to the pics, I don't live on the bottom of the globe.:tango_face_plain:
I flipped them for you, welcome back to the northern hemisphere! :sidelaugh

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Thanks, you Da Man.:tango_face_wink:

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Off to Hayward WI snowmobiling tomorrow, they got a foot of snow Thursday and more is coming, Can't wait. Will stay till mid wee:tango_face_smile:k.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Off to Hayward WI snowmobiling tomorrow, they got a foot of snow Thursday and more is coming, Can't wait. Will stay till mid wee:tango_face_smile:k.
The best trail riding I ever had was a week in Quebec one year when Michigan was just about devoid of snow thanks to El Nino. So, rather than waste a week of vacation between Christmas and New Year, my buddy and I trailered our sleds 12 hours up to Ste. Agathe, Quebec. Lots and lots of snow, but my goodness, the trails were just fantastic. In Michigan, you tend to get a lot of narrow, twisty, bumpy trails with blind corners through the woods. In contrast, the trails we rode in Quebec were like superhighways -- wide, well-groomed, no blind hairpin turns. You could really open the sleds up and have a ball! (And the trailside restaurants were out of this world, too.)

Attachments

21 - 40 of 54 Posts