My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't stand the little corded trimmer I had when we were renting.
Bought a house and got a brand new Wally World Weed Eater, that went back the very next day. Came home with a "better" Weed Eater, it lasted 3 1/2 seasons. This year I bought an old pair of grass shears at a garage sale, crawling around on the ground is a pain but less frustrating than the junk available anymore. I know you get what you pay for, but come one 15 minutes use evey other weekend for 3 1/2 summers is rediculus. The old manual grass shears do a much better looking job than the string trimmers do, no tore up bottoms on posts and trees and a good cut to match the rest of the lawn. And if that mower gives grief next spring again maybe I'll clean up that old reel type push mower in the back of the shed.

Well, thanks for letting me blow off some steam.
pete
:eck16:

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
Came home with a "better" Weed Eater, it lasted 3 1/2 seasons.
How "better" could that one have been? I've heard that some brands of manual grass shears are prone to causing carpal tunnel syndrome if not used correctly. Hope you got the manual with yours!:D

·
Registered
972 Posts
Spend at least $200 on trimmer. Buy any stihl, husqvarna, echo, redmax, shindiawa, etc. It'll last 10 yrs+ as long as you maintain it.

·
I'd rather be threshing!
3,997 Posts
I had an old Ryan string trimmer that I paid $79 for at Menards about 20 years ago! It was a single line trimmer, bump to feed... lasted me about 16 or 17 years! Finally started to "miss" so I decided to buy one of those new fangled 4-stroke models.

Guess maybe I got lucky with the cheapie. I hope the new (3 year old) Troy Bilt lasts for a while longer.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi there, you really do get what you pay for in this equipment. The high end models (listed before) really do last if properly maintained (and that proper maintenance itself is pretty minimal!) and they also make the job much more pleasant. There's nothing quite like having the right tool for the job, though, and if you find the hand shears work best for your needs then you're doing the right thing. My acre and a third already take about 60 minutes with a gas trimmer so it wouldn't work for me to do it by hand. You, however, will never have to worry about having the right gas/oil mix again with those shears. Just keep some 3-in-1 handy. :)

·
Citizen of Earth
15,291 Posts
2-stroke motors and me have never gotten along. I gave up on gas string trimmers a LONG time ago, and use an electric one around the house. It needs minimal maintenace, always starts and does the job.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I have such bad Asthma that I can not handle the 2 stroke moters. I went to electric 25 years ago. The weed wacker is a pain. It is always runing out of line. At least I do not get sick and that is worth the paind of cheap. Good trimmers not only work very well they last a long time. The gardners use expensive equipment for a reason.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I agree, but I was givin' a never used(wouldn't run) cheap weed eater, feather lite. I tweaked the carb, and other than the short shaft, it's a good little trimmer. I use it about everyday, with no problems. Maybe I got lucky, but I think it comes down too how you run it. 2-strokes like to be run wide open, if not, they will "oil foul". Run at least 89 octane gas, and a good synthetic oil mix. That little weedeater is on its 4th mowin' season. The new 4-stroke trimmers (in my opion) are JUNK. the weight, vibration and the extra movin' parts are their down fall. 2-stroke forever:fing32:

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Get a commercial trimmer and you'll like them. I still don't like using them
but it makes things go much faster and easier. I bought a Shindiawa T27
back in the 90's and it was an awesome timmer practically hovered over the ground but
bit heavy for my back, paid $300 wholesale ran it all those years done nothing
but change a couple plugs and the air filter sold it on eBay for $200. When my
BIL, the one I bought it from, found out I sold it he was ticked. I didn't know
he wanted it. He has a T25. I replaced mine with a Dolmar MS22 the thing
feels like nothing in my hands, I'm able to use it for a while with a back brace
on. It's doesn't have the power of the Shindiawa but it definitely is light years
ahead of my old Ryobi with the changeable attachments.

8.3lbs.
http://www.dolmarpowerproducts.com/productcatalog/product/5084/index.html

It and the Robin brand are basically the same thing.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Hum, I have a 6 year old Homelite gas trimmer ($69.95 at HD) and a Homelite 18DV Electric string trimmer, must have paid about $39.95 with a long (must be 24") hedge trimmer and two 18V batteries. The only bad part so far is the two original batteries lasted about one year. I replaced them with a pair of 18V Ryobi batteries (paid about $39.95 for the pair).. and they've been going stong for about 3 years now.

I have about 5.5 acres and use a large garden tractor and hand mower for most grass cutting, but the string trimmers get a good work out too.

Far as I'm concerned if either of both of those low cost units fail anytime soon, I'll just buy a replacement, and have a "brand new" unit again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts