My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally decided to start my WH freshen up project. Was going to start it up and pull it into the barn seeing it is dark outside by 4:30 now. Hooked up the battery started to turn it over and out of the motor fins comes a big ole mouse. Continue to crank it over and out comes what looks like nest material. I go get the air hose and start blowing the nest material and out pops a second HUGH mouse. I think it was actually a regular size one but I hate em. The tractor won't start but the plug looks bad. It tried to start but wouldn't. I don't believe the mice hurt anything seeing it appears they were just between the fins. Now I need to go back out there and see if they returned. :( Jim

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They love to chew wires so the jury is still out until you pull the cowling and look it over.
I am going to do that. I have a bigger problem right now, Seems the spark plug hole is stripped. I will need to address that.

So you could say...."You hate Meeces to pieces"??? lol (couldn't resist)

That is 100 percent accurate. I have always hated them and occasionally get 1 or 2 in the house. They just freak me out. Thanks. guys. Jim

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I have a tow behind swisher mower that I use behind a 4x4 on my hills,(30% slope) and even though I use it every week there is still a mouse nest to clean out first. I've been killing those @##%*!! for years now! Love it when they chew the wires, only done that mess twice now.

Kill them, kill them all I say....(I know...not very zen of me)

·
Registered
203 Posts
May I STRONGLY suggest not using air to blow out mouse nests. It's best to treat it like it's toxic and use gloves, mask and a product with bleach in it to clean the area. The little buggers can carry "hantavirus" which if the contaminated dust gets into your lungs (by spraying with air) can be fatal. Unfortunately; people die from it every year. There's no effective treatment once you got it and a 50% mortality rate. It's not very common but why risk it. But don't take my word for it; here's a link to the Center for Disease Control website. www.cdc.gov/hantavirus

·
Registered
414 Posts
If you are going to put out poison for them use the one that comes as a flat bar in segments that you break off like a chocolate bar. I have never had good success with the pellet type. I also leave them a small dish of anti freeze to have a drink from. Just be sure no pets can access it. I hope your mouse troubles are reduced.

·
Premium Member
9,785 Posts
I feel your pain. Here is just a sampling from this year:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How do you know his name was Hugh?
He had on a workshirt with a name plate. Wish spellcheck knew what I wanted to say.

I took the cover off today. It doesn't look like much damage but was a lot bigger than I thought.

I took it out with rubber gloves and a mask. I know better but was being lazy. My Wife works as the Nursing Supervisor for our towns Health Dept. I am glad she didn't see me doing it. Jim

Attachments

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
I can just see it now, the next security devise. Micro motion sensor with high powered vaporizing lazer. Or how about an engine cover or mower cover with a built in scent that deters mice.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
He had on a workshirt with a name plate. Wish spellcheck knew what I wanted to say.

I took the cover off today. It doesn't look like much damage but was a lot bigger than I thought.

I took it out with rubber gloves and a mask. I know better but was being lazy. My Wife works as the Nursing Supervisor for our towns Health Dept. I am glad she didn't see me doing it. Jim
WOW!! :banghead3 Must be getting ready for the winter months!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Jim, the image of you on the kitchen chair with a broom makes me spit coffee on my desk.

For the record...Jim is NOT a small man either.

·
Banned
271 Posts
Wow i must be lucky, never have these issues here. I haven't seen a mouse in years, let alone had to deal with a nest.

Maybe you should invest in some cat food and some good mousers to go with it... LOL

A couple good cats could reduce that problem, or at least keep them scared off.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts