My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is what I pulled out of the fuel tank of my 400. The Hobbs Meter says there is only 460 hours on this machine. I'm guessing the previous owner never cleaned the fuel system.

FYI, the 400 doesn't have a fuel filter(at least the manual doesn't show one, and I haven't found one), only a fuel strainer at the bottom of the tank. It acts like an in tank filter sock you see on in tank fuel pumps. I know the picture doesn't show it very well but the sock should be gray in color. It is full of contaminates that got into the fuel. It is amazing the engine even ran. I have been running like this for almost 30 hours. I did the old Seafoam trick when I bought it and about every second mowing. I finally got some time to dig into this problem.

Hopefully this explains why my Kohler runs rough sometimes or just quits. At the very least it needs a little bit of cleaning. Any other 400 owners out there might want to check theirs if their engine isn't running like it should.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is probably the thing to do but I have a space problem. I would want to put the filter some where between the tank and the fuel pump and things are kind of tight down there. It can probably be done if I get the right size filter.

I put it back together and it started a little grumpy but seems to be running fine now. Hopefully this cures the occasional rough running and running rich conditions I experience. If that doesn't do it, then I will probably start digging into the Carb next.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
A dirty fuel filter would lean the fuel mixture. Probably the carb settings. The two screws on top of the carb.

·
Registered
260 Posts
DO NOT ELIMINATE THE SCREEN FILTER ON THAT FUEL SHUTOFF! You can always install an inline filter in addition to the stock filter somewhere under the hood or under the tractor before in gets to the fuel pump. Adam

·
Super Moderator
32,682 Posts
That screen keeps the big stuff from going into the valve and line and plugging them up. You might just want to keep that in place!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts