My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'll try to add some pictures....
I got it home and mowed with it and it cut pretty well up until the clutch locked up and stalled the engine. It started right up but now the clutch...

Tires are like new.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Lets see if pictures are here...

It rides like a Lincoln...smooth. It seems to eliminate the bumps in the yard.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Is the clutch stuck in the engaged position? Not the lever but the clutch itself.

Your lever looks like it's pulled back way to far.

nice looking tractor btw. :trink40:

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know.
I'm going out and try it now.. It engaged and disengaged without issue until I used it for 15 minutes. I don't understand.....It was engaged and I was mowing....what would make it lock up, it's not electric.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Snotrocket...
It does seem strange. It engages very easy but after running for awhile(heat) you can hear the engine bogging even after I disengage the clutch.
Suggestions??

I have no manual or other information yet, just got it home. It is so cool, so much different than my Cubs, even the big 1864.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Are you sure the engine bogging is related to the clutch? You can look inside at the clutch and tell if it's partially engaged when it's running easy enough. Don't stick your hand in there.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Make absolutely sure you have the parking brake disengaged. This will cause the brake to heat up and slow you down. Don't ask me how I know this:fing20:

The clutch should have no effect on the engine slowing down and stalling. Make sure all of the bearings in the deck are good. Might be heating up and causing everything to heat up and get tight.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes I believe it's because of the delay that's occuring when the clutch is freeing itself. I was on concrete, not mowing and that's exactly how my Cub 149 acted when it's clutch was too tight.
The motor runs fine when the clutch is not engaged, no smoke either and it's a Kohler 14hp, no Onan expense.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll have to delve into it when I get some time. I have enough projects now to keep me busy for a little while. I just couldn't pass up this 444 with it only being an hour down the road from me. Plus, I've met a Case guy that has parts and other tractors...
Now I'll start my search for manuals and parts....Can parts for these clutches still be had?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is good to know...Thanks again.
All this tractor enjoyment will reach a new level of satisfaction when I get my new 28x32 garage built. I wish it could be larger but I only have so much room. I would like to double that size.

·
Ingersoll Dealer
2,552 Posts
I would start the clutch diagnosis by removing the mower belt.

Could be something in the mower deck, such as bad bearings. This lets you split the diagnosis and focus the problem.

If the clutch still presents a problem without a belt, you can bet it is an internal clutch issue ... possibly very simple to repair. Parts are not so expensive and readily available ... unless you need a new main shaft which can make things add up a bit. Still, most owners feel it is fully worth it.

Welcome aboard and best of luck starting in to sorting it out. You talk about a Cub in your life, but I predict you will soon have multiple Case/Ingersolls ... a powerful bug indeed, this one is.

Brian

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Brian,
Thanks for the info... You are correct, I have numerous Cubs and none of them provided the driving experience that this Case has. It feels like a big tractor and the steering is tight. The steering on most old Cubs is typically very loose because of the steering box failing. This thing is awesome and I'm already planning on a Cub sale...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hey rw, nice looking tractor you got, congrats, I had thought about checking into it myself, I saw it on CL, but it was a little too far away for me. Good luck with it man.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
While I am sure that you will find a lot of minor problems with this tractor, I am equally certain that you have found a really good, long lasting machine that you will get years of use from. Parts are availible and the tractor is easy to work on. You done good!!!

Nick

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Brian,
Thanks for the info... You are correct, I have numerous Cubs and none of them provided the driving experience that this Case has. It feels like a big tractor and the steering is tight. The steering on most old Cubs is typically very loose because of the steering box failing. This thing is awesome and I'm already planning on a Cub sale...

Nice 444 !! You and I are in the same boat,except I'm a Deere guy. I already have a couple JD's on the chopping block! lol

I still don't know how I will break the news to my John Deere comrades. Maybe I will just give them a hint and bring my 444 to plow day.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts