My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I emailed Tuff Torq asking them about the specs for the T40, the tranny used in many of the LA series machines. The specs are not listed on the Tuff Torq website, but the specs for the other trannys used by Deere are. That made me a bit curious.

Here is a "cut and paste" of the reply I got. I found it to be interesting:

Hello Mr. White,

Thank you for your interest in our products.

The T40 transmission is a specification of the K46 transmission that is a
John Deere exclusive. The specifications we list for K46 will be basically
the same as for the T40.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Best regards.

Pamela Ward, Sales & Marketing
Tuff Torq Corporation
5943 Commerce Blvd
Morristown, Tennessee 37814
423-585-1980 office phone
423-754-2839 cell phone
[email protected]

So they are saying the two trannys (T40 & K46) are basically the same thing. Well, then why list them differently? Maybe I need to ask them what "basically" means?

Anyway, I just thought I'd share their response.

·
Citizen of Earth
15,295 Posts
My total guess, and it's really a guess is that they make a "40" series tranny and if any extras like special mounting tabs, drain plugs, etc. that make it slightly different make it a "41" or a "42" and so on. At least that's been my experience having worked for manufacturers of various product lines.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My total guess, and it's really a guess is that they make a "40" series tranny and if any extras like special mounting tabs, drain plugs, etc. that make it slightly different make it a "41" or a "42" and so on. At least that's been my experience having worked for manufacturers of various product lines.
Could very well be. It is just that I had seen various people post about the LA HST's not being as strong as the X series HST's and it got me wondering. According to Tuff Torq they should be very similar, and I thought the information might help those trying to decide between the two series of riders. Of course there are other differences between the LA's and X's, but HST's seem to be a bigger worry.

You know, now that I think about it, I don't see the HST's being discussed as much on the forums for other brands as they are discussed here. Guess that gives me something else to wonder about.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
I think the manufacturer (Tuff Torq) makes a private label version (T40 in this case) for a big customer (John Deere in this case) so the end user (tractor purchaser) has to go to them (John Deere) for any parts/service, etc.... Tuff Torq probably can't say too much one way or the other for legal purposes which is why their response is so ambiguous. That's my guess anyway.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think the manufacturer (Tuff Torq) makes a private label version (T40 in this case) for a big customer (John Deere in this case) so the end user (tractor purchaser) has to go to them (John Deere) for any parts/service, etc.... Tuff Torq probably can't say too much one way or the other for legal purposes which is why their response is so ambiguous. That's my guess anyway.
Perhaps being able to list the HST's as having different numbers also gives Deere a way to project another perceived difference between the X series and the LA series.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
gives Deere a way to project another perceived difference between the X series and the LA series.

I agree, but I would take it a bit further.... I bet the T40 is built to slightly looser tolerances... will not affect average performance, but there may be a slight cost reduction in manufacturing, allowing deere to keep LA prices low.

·
Registered
921 Posts
When I asked the guy at the local Deere dealer what the difference is between the LA series and select series besides the engines he pointed out some components that are more heavy duty on the select series and then he said that the select series is built to last and the LA series is intentionaly built not to last nearly as long. As some one else mentioned I wouldn't be surprised if there is some component of the t40 that is made from a cheaper material than the k46 and therefore not as durable. Of course I barley know what I'm talking about so who knows.

·
Registered
170 Posts
tuff torq had the entire spec of the t40 on their website a year ago when i bought my machine, including a full parts list and exploded diagram.

it's made for deere without an external reservoir and slightly different fan, i believe (with reservoir being optional to their customers i.e. deere)

also the la165 and la175 have the exact same tranny as the low-end x series non-ground-engaging models.

did you buy your machine yet or are you still shopping?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
tuff torq had the entire spec of the t40 on their website a year ago when i bought my machine, including a full parts list and exploded diagram.

it's made for deere without an external reservoir and slightly different fan, i believe (with reservoir being optional to their customers i.e. deere)

also the la165 and la175 have the exact same tranny as the low-end x series non-ground-engaging models.

did you buy your machine yet or are you still shopping?
I've just been kinda looking, and at the same time curious to learn more (about most anything). I have a Simplicity Broadmore that I have been mostly happy with. The main disadvantage to it being how far away the dealer is for anything I need. Just to get blades or any repair is about an 80 mile round trip. That is why I have been looking around.

Do you happen to remember the torque specs that were listed for the T40?

·
Registered
136 Posts
The T40 HSTs are the rejected ones from the K46 manufacturing line. I think I have one in my Scotts L2548. I'm happy....NOT

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The T40 HSTs are the rejected ones from the K46 manufacturing line. I think I have one in my Scotts L2548. I'm happy....NOT
I kinda doubt they are using any "rejects" in their machines, tpaul. That wouldn't be a good way to stay in business now, would it?

·
Registered
170 Posts
i'm looking for the file; haven't used it in forever

i think the axles are 3/4 instead of 1", and the torque was about 20% lower, but i'm pulling that from memory....and also i do recall the torque spec' was listed in a range, not a hard figure, because it varied based on the application, pulley size, rpm, and tire diameter....

if i find it i'll let you know...can't remember if it was at home or on the work pc...

see ya,
marc

·
Registered
170 Posts
diagram and all parts are still on their website under catalog/order, but torque spec is not listed

now that is see torque spec' for the k46, i would amend my estimate to the T40 as only about 5% lower in torque, and not 20% lower than the base tranny that comes in the la165, la175 and x300.

i might still have the spec's at home; tufftorq website has definitly been revamped since i last looked at it....

see ya

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
diagram and all parts are still on their website under catalog/order, but torque spec is not listed

now that is see torque spec' for the k46, i would amend my estimate to the T40 as only about 5% lower in torque, and not 20% lower than the base tranny that comes in the la165, la175 and x300.

i might still have the spec's at home; tufftorq website has definitly been revamped since i last looked at it....

see ya
Thanks for the info. That sure isn't much difference, is it.

I think some of these ratings must have changed over the years. My Broadmoor has a K57 which Simplicity says rates at 159 ft. lbs. That is not close to what Tuff Torq lists on their site.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I e-mailed Tuff Torq because I didn't know about this forum at the time, and I wanted to find out what the T40 is, because they don't list it on thier website.
I've cut & pasted the reply I got back from them on Jan 21/2010.

Hello,
The T40 is basically our base model. The K46 is a slight step up from theT40. Please see spec below and let me know if you have more questions.
T40Rated Torque - 176.4 N-m
K46Rated Torque - 196 N-m

Thanks,
Derrick Dalton
Tuff Torq CorporationAfter Market Services6041 Hunter RoadTalbott,TN 37877Phone 423-585-1977Fax 423-317-2312 Toll Free 866-572-3441

I found it interesting that his numbers for the K46 don't exactly match those on their website.

·
Registered
459 Posts
How many HOURS are the Tuff Torq T40/ K46 transmissions rated for?....before they give up the ghost. I have an LA110 with the T40 transmission. (sadly no hour meter)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts