My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I was talking with my FIL yesterday and he mentioned he once had a Gravely. I asked him what he did with it? I assumed he meant he sold it. Nope. He left it out in a field because the motor was cutting out. Well that field to his knowledge floods. It's had flood water over it twice.:drunkie: Probably just a simple carb adjustment would have done the trick. lol

Anyways, I'm going to bring it back home and see if I can maybe get it running again..and if I can't I may re-power it.

Any tips, hints or suggestions on where to start is much appreciated. FYI, I don't have any pics yet. I will get some when I pick it up.

·
Gravelyyard.com
5,922 Posts
If I were you, I'd be on the road going to get it.

When you get it home, drain the trans and engine and see what comes out. If it clear water and oil, you may be ok. If it's rusty water and oil or worse, muddy water and oil, you are looking at a complete tear down. Not much of a problem on a two wheel trans. The engine might be another story.

It's going to be interesting to see what you get. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
8,841 Posts
A lot depends on how long the water and how much is in the trans and engine. I scrapped a C10A because of water damage. Yes it was that bad.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool, okay. I am going to try and push to get it this week if possible.

I forgot to add I did check the oil when it was sitting there and there was about a 1/16" of oil on the dipstick and it looked dark, but did not feel watery. I thought that was weird seen as how it had been in two floods.

I almost cried when I opened the hood and saw "flood mud" on top of the engine. :banghead3

·
Premium Member
8,841 Posts
Oil floats on top of water.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It ain't as rusty as some machines I've seen in service. Not as rusty as some machines I've seen posted on here.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I must mention. My fil doesnt officially have it for sale. So I have no real worry of it getting sold out from under me.

·
Always Learning
2,157 Posts
I'm going to get mine Monday, I would also like to know where to start on trying to get one to run... I'll be watching...

·
Premium Member
8,841 Posts
Start by seeing if the engine will turn over. Next drain the oil from the engine and trans and check for water.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts