My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
While searching craigslist this morning I happened to see this gem, they said it ran and the self-propelled all worked so I said I'd take it, so I went and picked it up at lunch today and was able to mow with it tonight and man is it a sweet mower, the engine runs sooo smooth, the clutch doesnt make any noice which is a major plus. I was able to rotate the tires so I had some good tread on the rear. Not sure on the year yet, its only a 4.5 horse I've only seen 5.0 and 5.5's. Well here are some picture of it. Havent cleaned it up yet, also looking to get a oil filter kit for it possibly. Well enough rambling, heres the pictures.

john deere 14sb 001.jpg john deere 14sb 002.JPG

john deere 14sb 004.JPG john deere 14sb 005.jpg

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Welcome to the club Tim !

·
Lawn-Boy fan
1,566 Posts
Wow, decals look good on it, too!

Several people here have talked about this JD mower. What is it about the 14SB? Does it cut good? Thick deck? Long lasting? Just curious- have never had a decent 4-cycle mower.
Also wondering the same thing.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Great Find, The 14SB is a very versitile mower. It bags and Discharges wonderfully and the motor is quiet and fuel efficent. I like where you can use the self propelled with the blade shut off for transport.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, well the only reason I have been wanting one is the good things I've heard about them, and I just plain wanted one too:trink40:

·
Lifetime Lawn Guy
1,426 Posts
I've had one for years, bought it used probably 10 years ago, Just a guess, 20 years old now? It still starts on the first pull. I've used it commercially, though not a lot, just as a backyard and very small lawn machine, but it rides on the trailer taking a beating all year.

The deck is VERY tough and thick. It's a very well balanced mower and easy to run. Nice to have 5 speeds instead of 3 like most have. As I said, Engine is bulletproof, BBC does last well, though when it goes out, you will know it. Mine was replaced when I bought it used, and never touched again.

Weak points- The wheels. They suck, plain and simple. The Commercial version has steel ball bearing wheels with rubber tread, and unfortunately there's a lot that has to be replaced on the mower to convert a resi model to comm wheels.
The transmission is also argued to be a weak point, though I've only replaced mine once, but I don't use it day in and day out either.

I believe, correct me if you know differently, that the 4.5, 5, and 5.5 hp engines are all the same displacement, it's just a different ignition setup or carb jet that changes the hp rating. I believe that's what I was told many years back by the mechanic. Mines a 5.5hp I think...

Nice find for sure, I'd like to find another 14SB or newer JX75, or even a JX85 though finding one that wasn't run into the ground would be really tough. I bought a used snapper for a small area mower, and hate it, and I really don't like the idea of my helper using my LB duraforce, lol. My 14SB needs attention right now. The handle mounts on the deck are worn out badly, need to tear it apart and make some bushings to take the slop out of the handle, then put it back into service!

·
Lawn Mower Fan
681 Posts
That's REALLY nice. I'm really only looking for 2 more mowers at this point. One is a staggered-deck F-engined model from the '90s, and one is one of these Deeres (though I really can't afford to buy ANYTHING at the present time). :crybaby:

Can I ask what you paid for it?

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
looks like the 14sb is catching on. this is the best overall mower desighn ever. i havnt had any trans problems with any of mine. i have 3 of the comm versions and they are to die for. the sp clutch cable is the most replaced item i have found . the comm wheels are a direct bolt on but finding some is a whole another issue. the plastic tires dont provide enough traction.

·
A semi-retired senior cit
2,132 Posts
Great find, very nice shape, very good motor and blade brake. Bag doesn't even look used very much, very clean.

Try looking through John Deere`s parts catalog, try the alphabetic index then click on enlarge image also try the drop down menu illustrations it will come up in a small window then maximize that window. great way to study your mower.

·
Registered
506 Posts
SWEEEET......I'd like to find one of those, too.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Wow, decals look good on it, too!

Several people here have talked about this JD mower. What is it about the 14SB? Does it cut good? Thick deck? Long lasting? Just curious- have never had a decent 4-cycle mower.
I posted a thread (review) on mine. It's a great 4 cycle mower. I was VERY surprised !

·
Registered
347 Posts
That's one nice 14SB! It looks like it was never used or cleaned after every mow! I've seen two here in Houston in the past two or three weeks and they were dogs. Good only for parts. I never see mowers like that around here. If you don't mind, how much did you pay for it?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Very nice.

I've looked at six in the KC-Springfield-Columbia area in the last three months and all were worn out.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've been looking for one for quite some time also and I also looked at some worn out mowers, mainly commercially used ones. I was lucky to get this one for $50. It looks like the recoil is new, but the reason it was cheap, atleast I think, was the wheel was bent out, causeing a grinding noice every now and then. All it was, was the gear was loose on the wheel. After rotating the tires everything is great. I added a fuel filter today and am sharpening the blade, other than that I may get a oil filter. GTP has pointed me in a good direction for one. Thanks for all the kind words guys!:trink39:

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Lifetime Lawn Guy
1,426 Posts
Well I just ordered 4 new wheels, after going to my JD dealer today to price them out I knew I could get them cheaper than $30 a wheel.. found some here for only $8.99 each I think they are Oregons but they look the same to me, got (4) shipped for around $50 with shipping.

http://www.agrisupply.com/-wheel-to-fit-jd-sb-walk-behind-/p/56472/cn/2700048/
Holy smokes! That's a good deal! I've bought 4 or 6 of them at my JD dealer too over the years, and YIKES.

I'll bookmark that site. I want to be sure I can shore up the handle on mine before I go spending a dime on it for wheels...

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Another thing I like about the JD's is the vast array of handle height options. I put mine in a very high position and for the first time in a while-I cut my grass for about 2 hours and no back ache afterwards. Those old school LawnBoy handle are just too short. I may have to start modding them ot extent them up to human height. Er...or maybe I complain too much and am getting old...:fing20:

·
Registered
300 Posts
Well I just ordered 4 new wheels, after going to my JD dealer today to price them out I knew I could get them cheaper than $30 a wheel.. found some here for only $8.99 each I think they are Oregons but they look the same to me, got (4) shipped for around $50 with shipping.

http://www.agrisupply.com/-wheel-to-fit-jd-sb-walk-behind-/p/56472/cn/2700048/
I got a pair of the Oregon wheels last march and they look identical to the JD wheels. (back tires, see my avatar)

Its an awesome mower, enjoy :trink39:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts