My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Lifetime Lawn Guy
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have a nice pretty 7268 lawn-boy, fresh grabber green paint, new wheels, new piston, rings, recoil rope, starter gear, primer bulb, fuel lines, plug, cleaned everything else (and I'm sure I'm forgetting something). reassembled it tonight, put fuel in it and thought, gee, I sure hope this thing has a spark! Primed it, pulled it 5 or 6 times, and was :( Put the spark tester on it and yup, no flashy-flashy... ugh.

Yes, I had cleaned the rust off the coil and the flywheel magnets... I have not checked to make sure that the kill switch is working correctly though. I suppose it *could* be bad a killing the spark in both the on and off positions, but I have my doubts. I decided I'd just come in for the night.

Will have to consult the service manuals to see if there's a sure fire way to test a coil, or if it's just spark = good, no spark = bad.

Yes, I'm a bit of a rookie with these...

·
The Sea of Green Machines
4,788 Posts
At least it is fairly easy to change one out. Not like pulling a flywheel to change or clean points.

·
Lifetime Lawn Guy
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
True, though I wish I had spares laying around... Not keen on the idea of throwing another $35-40 at this mower.

I don't mind popping the flywheels off, I use a little 3/8" butterfly impact. When trying to set the RPM's on a D series it takes a few trys at least, lol. And of course I have about a dozen each NOS points and condensors... Anyone want to trade some of those for a working coil for an F-100? :)

·
5K Poster!!!!
5,131 Posts
I have a coil off of my 680543 that you can have if it will work for you..I have not checked the IPC to see if the part no. is good for you. IMA can probably tell you off the top of his head.

·
4,788 Posts
I have one laying around here but no telling where.. I would have traded for points and condensers if I knew where it is since I have 5 D engines.

·
Lifetime Lawn Guy
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
looks like the coil # is 681578 that I need. Also appears that the # 682340 crosses.

Looks like $39.95 shipped is about the best ebay deal, of course a stens replacement...

Fordtech: If you run across it let me know. I'll look at the points and condensors I have and post the part numbers.

·
4,788 Posts
I think mine would be like a 683215 so prolly wouldnt work anyway.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
meh, I had the 6277 somewhat-apart 3-4 more times before I was able to use it. First it was the coil, then this that and the other thing, then finally a new 0-ring on the primer shaft.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I've got these

If they're different, it is my understanding that any f-coil will work on and f-engine, except the on/off might be reversed.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
If they're different, it is my understanding that any f-coil will work on and f-engine, except the on/off might be reversed.
That's true for pre-compliance models. You can't use a ground-to-run coil on a zone start model without disabling the flywheel brake and adding a switch.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts