My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Gravely 408 Authority
1,823 Posts
When I first got my 18-G I wasn't used to the Fwd/Rev pedal on the right. The 408's brake pedal is on the right. I was moving the 18-G around in the garage and hit the "brake", driving it right into the back corner of my car. Dented the fender and broke the taillight on the car. No damage to the Gravely.

·
Inveterate Putterer
2,976 Posts
Today was Double Dumb Day.

I was mowing the back area of one of my lawns, right where it drops off to a stream bank. I usually mow right up to the bank, but with all the rain the ground was saturated. The ground there is all silt. The 16G got stuck. Bad. The more I rocked it, the deeper it got into sucking mud. The bottom of the motor made it an inch or so deep in mud.

I went to get the other 16G to yank the first 16G out. Success. Both tractors out. I finish mowing that lawn and the third one and go to wash the mud off the tractors.

The tow tractor's seat pan and air cleaner (and everything else!) are drenched in oil. I had forgotten to reinstall the filler cap on Sunday when I changed the oil. Fortunately the cap was still sitting on top of the transmission where I had put it.

Two Dumbs is a pattern. What will the third one be? :hide:

·
Active member, now deceased, but not forgotten.
4,156 Posts
. . . . .

Two Dumbs is a pattern. What will the third one be? :hide:
I'd stay in the house for at least a day! :fing32:

·
Active member, now deceased, but not forgotten.
4,156 Posts
No. . . just kidding Mikey. Two's company, three's a crowd. You'll be alright.

I've done dumber than that in under an hour.

·
Registered
836 Posts
My worst (and I have a bunch!) is bolting a new attachment to the L after forgetting to disengage the PTO. I thought I was just pulling the attachment in with the bolts and that was the reason it was hard to tighten them. Well, you know that I bent the shipper shaftand it wouldn't work at all after that. It seems so dumb when you just sat there cranking on those bolts and danaging stuff without stopping to think for a minute.

and, of course, let's not forget the number of times we have cranked on L's without opening the fuel valve! That's always a dandy!!!

·
Gravelyyard.com
5,922 Posts
Where do I start, but here's one; I hauled home my first Pro-12. It was a pull start, 12hp Kohler. It wasn't running, so I got a good deal.

So I get it home, add some gas (it was dry) and proceeded to pull. And pull and pull and pull. Nothing. OK, so I go and get my spark tester, I hook it up and give it a pull, nice bright spark. Yeppie! So I pull it. And pull and pull and pull. Nothing. Except my arm now feels like it's about to fall off. By now, I'm exhausted. Who ever came up with idea of a pull start 12hp needs to be.., well I just need to keep trying. I check the carb, clean everything out and flush it. The pump works, I can smell gas at the exhaust, so I think I'll give it another try.

So I pull. And I pull, and I pull. I'm drenched in sweat, my arm is numb and I'm not sure I can lift it. I need a break.

The tractor is pretty oil covered, so I figure I'll clean it off. Some times these tractors need some TLC before they give you a break and start. So I wash is it off and it looks great! It's surely going to be happy now! I let it dry off and go out to fire it up! Set the choke, turn on the key and give it a mighty pull! THEN ANOTHER! Then Another! then another. then another...... @&%#!&!! I figure I need to go over things again. I can't find the spark tester, so I pull the plug and give it a pull. No spark! Great! Now I've lost spark! At this point I'm mad and bummed. Not to mention near a coronary. I walk away.

So the next day, I find the spark tester, go out and give it a pull. Nice spark! Yeppie! (again). So I pull, pull, pull, pull, pull and pull again! Nada! Now I'm dancing around this piece of junk and threatening to part it out, screaming and cussing like a sailor and it dawns on me!

Maybe the plug is bad?

No way, I tell myself, it couldn't be that simple! I pull out the plug, give it a pull and nothing! OOPs!

So now I'm feeling pretty stupid, walk over the shop and find a new plug, lay it on the engine, give it a pull and get a nice spark.

I install it, give it a pull. nothing. Then another, and another, and another until my arm is tired. I kind of felt OK knowing it was still not working and more than a spark plug. I pick up my tools and take them back to the shop. As I pass the tractor on my way back to the house, I just can't resist giving it one more pull.

..... and it starts up runs like it was just shut off 5 minutes ago.

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
We all have had moments of embarrassment. You are not alone.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts