My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 214 from MTD Tradesman on Monday night. The wiring harness is cut up and ignition switch missing so I had to hot wire it to get it started. It started up and ran good! I now felt confident enough about it that I went to the dealer and spent $130 on a new wiring harness, ignition and headlight switch, drive belts, and choke cable, everything except the belts had to be ordered. The right rear tire wouldn't hold air so I installed an old 13" trailer tire and installed the missing rear drive belt and took it for a spin today. It looks really funny with the trailer tire on it but sure was fun to drive! I am really going to love this tractor when I get it fixed up!
I will post some pictures later, and I also have a ton of questions to ask about this project but will save that for a new thread later.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK- I gotta see this thing!! :wwp::trink40:
Sorry but I'm posting from my HP Touchpad and I can't post pictures with it. I will post them tonight when I can get on the laptop. If you can't wait till then and have a google plus account send me a pm with your email address.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Don't look too close at the carburetor or you will see that I installed the choke lever upside down:00000061: the brake fluid bottle is my temporary gas tank till I can run a new fuel line to the tank. I used a jump box for the juice to get it running and a rag to insulate the positive clamp from welding its self to the tractor. Don't try this at home. I hope I don't get :banned: for posting these.:praying: Believe it or not but I am a professional automotive technician at a luxury car dealer.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
33,752 Posts
You aren't advocating bypassing any safety devices and I'm sure when you are done they will all work properly so no need to ban you for showing initial operation!

I'm amazed that the metal looks as good as it does and you have all the issues with the electrical. How'd the wiring get eaten up?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You aren't advocating bypassing any safety devices and I'm sure when you are done they will all work properly so no need to ban you for showing initial operation!

I'm amazed that the metal looks as good as it does and you have all the issues with the electrical. How'd the wiring get eaten up?
The tractor was repainted by MTD Tradesman when he had it but he didn't have the money to put into it to get it going again. Not sure who attacked the wiring but the ignition switch is MIA and all the wires at the switch were cut and spiced into, onto or together. I didn't like the looks of it and would rather spend the $40 then go through the headache of fixing it.

Here is the old thread when MTD Tradesman owned it if you want some of its history. http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=176890

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
a "frankenstein" for sure!

great work, looks like it will make a great tractor!

best of luck- :trink40:

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Congrats on the new to you tractor! I had a feeling it was going go be a simple fix in the end. Shame he gave up on it, but looks like it's your gain!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Congrats on the new to you tractor! I had a feeling it was going go be a simple fix in the end. Shame he gave up on it, but looks like it's your gain!
He realized that it was going to take a few Benjamin's to get it going again and he couldn't afford it. I got lucky finding it on craigslist because I wasn't actively looking for a tractor but was looking for a trailer and he mentioned in the add that you would need a trailer to take it home so my search pulled it up. I have always wanted a good old tractor and showed the add to my brother-in-law who is a tractor nut and he said it's probably gone already because they are great tractors and someone probably snapped it up. One person had contacted him first but never replied back so he let me have it.:thanku: I'm guessing I will have 5 bills in the tractor before I'm done with it.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Congrats on the 214 and welcome to MTF. :fing32:

·
Registered
729 Posts
that things clean. definetly worth the money that youve put into it

·
Citizen of Earth
15,299 Posts
If tyou can get it up and running good for a total investment of $500, then yiou did pretty good! The 214 is a nice machine. I have a 219 and it's a little low on power, the extra 4 horses make a LOT of difference.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts