My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use my Nikon D3400 for our tractor hobby, taking pics for forums and videos for my YouTube channel. I went to get it and the strap got caught on tool box handle causing it to drop out of my hands to floor. I saw flash go off as it hit. It still works but can feel the stock lens take pictures differently than before. Also noticed last night no flash now. My warranty is about to go out and doubt it would be covered.
Point of my thread is I wish I was more careful! Since getting hurt I notice I am clumsy at times. Well might be looking to upgrade to new body camera soon.
Any tips on possible repair of the camera? I am mechanical of course but not in small electronics. Plan on calling Nikon in case of repair.

·
Administrator
16,918 Posts
Well Eric, been there done that. The following isn't gonna be good news, but here goes. First thing I would ck with Nikon about warranty. I agree probably not going to have much success but there may be some sort of discount on repairs. As for repairs, one word - OUCH! Sounds like two problems, lens and body. Replacing lens might cure part of the problem but on flash could be a myriad of things, all in the body. Back in the day when we had problems with out digital cameras at the newspaper, we always sent them to the manufacturer repair service. Right parts and work warrantied. But repair work isn't cheap. $250 repair on a then $5400 camera or lens was worth it by on a $450 camera XX number of years old ?? Year or two maybe, five year old probably not. But most places will give estimate and return if not done. There will probably be some cost with that. You'll have to decide. I had a staff of six photographers plus myself, with 2/3 cameras and six or so lenses each so I had a good size monthly repair bill, especially after they hit the two yr mark. A lot of wear and tear, much more that the average guy. Stuff was being used 8 -10 hrs a day five days a week. Before the paper went digital I was using a guy in Goshen you repaired all of the standard mechanical Nikon, Lieca and Canons. When everything went electronic we had to switch to manufacturer's service because Emil couldn't get the parts.
If the damage is to the lens. they take a hit and focus doesn't work right or something in that manner, you can probably get a lens off of Flea bay or possibly a new one. Just an idea. But you would have to know that is the problem so if you know someone with a like camera perhaps you can switch just to make sure before buying. Like I said, don't know of an inexpensive way to get out of this. Evan all of the local camera shops that use to have used equipment have fallen by the wayside. There is this on CL https://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/pho/d/red-nikon-d3400/6561806667.html
Good Luck,
MikeC
MikeC

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,693 Posts
I use my Nikon D3400 for our tractor hobby, taking pics for forums and videos for my YouTube channel. I went to get it and the strap got caught on tool box handle causing it to drop out of my hands to floor. I saw flash go off as it hit. It still works but can feel the stock lens take pictures differently than before. Also noticed last night no flash now. My warranty is about to go out and doubt it would be covered.
Point of my thread is I wish I was more careful! Since getting hurt I notice I am clumsy at times. Well might be looking to upgrade to new body camera soon.
Any tips on possible repair of the camera? I am mechanical of course but not in small electronics. Plan on calling Nikon in case of repair.
Sorry to hear about that damaging equipment like that always sucks.

But thats also one of the major problems with entry level bodies is durability. Even though I'm a pro and use my camera for work ponying up the cash for a pro body is the best thing you could do if you use your camera a lot or use it in a semi harsh environment.

The other best thing you can do is get a warranty that covers drops and stuff.

As far as fixing the camera goes I'd just send it to Nikon as cameras are complex instruments and expensive ones at that. But I would get a quote on getting it fixed before I sent it off as it may not be worth fixing. IMO if its over $300 to get it fixed it wouldn't be worth fixing it at all I would just take that money and upgrade to a new camera.

If you need any help looking for a new camera let me know.

·
Premium Member
3,110 Posts
You might want to get evaluated/examined by a doctor to see if there are any underlying causes for you to be more "clumsy" since you were hurt.

·
Premium Member
10,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well Eric, been there done that. The following isn't gonna be good news, but here goes. First thing I would ck with Nikon about warranty. I agree probably not going to have much success but there may be some sort of discount on repairs. As for repairs, one word - OUCH! Sounds like two problems, lens and body. Replacing lens might cure part of the problem but on flash could be a myriad of things, all in the body. Back in the day when we had problems with out digital cameras at the newspaper, we always sent them to the manufacturer repair service. Right parts and work warrantied. But repair work isn't cheap. $250 repair on a then $5400 camera or lens was worth it by on a $450 camera XX number of years old ?? Year or two maybe, five year old probably not. But most places will give estimate and return if not done. There will probably be some cost with that. You'll have to decide. I had a staff of six photographers plus myself, with 2/3 cameras and six or so lenses each so I had a good size monthly repair bill, especially after they hit the two yr mark. A lot of wear and tear, much more that the average guy. Stuff was being used 8 -10 hrs a day five days a week. Before the paper went digital I was using a guy in Goshen you repaired all of the standard mechanical Nikon, Lieca and Canons. When everything went electronic we had to switch to manufacturer's service because Emil couldn't get the parts.

If the damage is to the lens. they take a hit and focus doesn't work right or something in that manner, you can probably get a lens off of Flea bay or possibly a new one. Just an idea. But you would have to know that is the problem so if you know someone with a like camera perhaps you can switch just to make sure before buying. Like I said, don't know of an inexpensive way to get out of this. Evan all of the local camera shops that use to have used equipment have fallen by the wayside. There is this on CL https://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/pho/d/red-nikon-d3400/6561806667.html

Good Luck,

MikeC

MikeC

Thanks Mike! I saw that one, same unit I have. It still take good pictures but has dirt in viewfinder from somewhere. I clean the mirror and sensor as directed by Nikon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry to hear about that damaging equipment like that always sucks.

But thats also one of the major problems with entry level bodies is durability. Even though I'm a pro and use my camera for work ponying up the cash for a pro body is the best thing you could do if you use your camera a lot or use it in a semi harsh environment.

The other best thing you can do is get a warranty that covers drops and stuff.

As far as fixing the camera goes I'd just send it to Nikon as cameras are complex instruments and expensive ones at that. But I would get a quote on getting it fixed before I sent it off as it may not be worth fixing. IMO if its over $300 to get it fixed it wouldn't be worth fixing it at all I would just take that money and upgrade to a new camera.

If you need any help looking for a new camera let me know.

Thanks Carson! I went to their website and the quote online is $200 before any repair. I’m going to look for a new body. I researched the Nikon line to see a upgrade. I thought of the D5600.
If you can point me to Nikon units that use the lenses I have. Just remember my lack of income. :)

·
Premium Member
10,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You might want to get evaluated/examined by a doctor to see if there are any underlying causes for you to be more "clumsy" since you were hurt.

Thanks Dave. I plan to ask my back DR. I dropped a buffer today?! I never do this, the way it happens is fast. I am not sure why I let go of stuff. It sure makes me upset, costly damage for no reason.

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,693 Posts
Thanks Carson! I went to their website and the quote online is $200 before any repair. I’m going to look for a new body. I researched the Nikon line to see a upgrade. I thought of the D5600.
If you can point me to Nikon units that use the lenses I have. Just remember my lack of income. :)

Whats your max budget? Personally I'm a Canon and Pentax guy but the Nikon D7200 or even the D7100 looks pretty sweet. A D7100 is around $697 and the D7200 is around $997. Both are weather-sealed prosumer DSLR's. And IIRC both are metal bodies which is a big thing I look for in a camera.

·
Premium Member
10,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Whats your max budget? Personally I'm a Canon and Pentax guy but the Nikon D7200 or even the D7100 looks pretty sweet. A D7100 is around $697 and the D7200 is around $997. Both are weather-sealed prosumer DSLR's. And IIRC both are metal bodies which is a big thing I look for in a camera.

I’m looking at getting some money from disability not paying the right amount. I do want a weatherproof unit. Not sure if I can do that high.

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,693 Posts
I’m looking at getting some money from disability not paying the right amount. I do want a weatherproof unit. Not sure if I can do that high.

Oh ok. I wish you were a Canon guy it would make my job a lot easier. lol

If you can swing the d7200 thats what I would go with if it had to be a new Nikon for sub $1,000. Is used an option?

·
Premium Member
10,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh ok. I wish you were a Canon guy it would make my job a lot easier. lol

If you can swing the d7200 thats what I would go with if it had to be a new Nikon for sub $1,000. Is used an option?

Only reason was my kit lenses for F mount. I could go used and like Mike showed some local. I should get a extended warranty due to my drop habit of late.

·
Premium Member
10,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you bought on credit card see if they have automatic insurance for damage. Just a thought.

Gary
THANKS!!! My dad put it on his card so I looked up Discover and they extend the warranty for a year! It has a little left in the warranty but will call to see if it is covered!

·
Premium Member
10,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was looking at the D7200 and D7500. Amazon and BestBuy at moment.

·
Premium Member
5,748 Posts
Sorry to hear about the camera, Eric. I've been looking to upgrade for a while now. Almost bought a Nikon D3300 a couple years ago, but didn't pull the trigger. I'll be interested in what you get if the D3400 doesn't get fixed.

·
Premium Member
10,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry to hear about the camera, Eric. I've been looking to upgrade for a while now. Almost bought a Nikon D3300 a couple years ago, but didn't pull the trigger. I'll be interested in what you get if the D3400 doesn't get fixed.

The D3400 is great camera for me. I had issues with debris in viewfinder, mainly me using it to film mowing trials! It still works but flash failed on dropping it.
I want to keep lenses and upgrade if possible.

·
Premium Member
10,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Shipping it to Nikon for possible warranty. It is under the year warranty by couple weeks.
God willing it gets fixed. Still debating a upgrade to weatherproof.

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,693 Posts
The D3400 is great camera for me. I had issues with debris in viewfinder, mainly me using it to film mowing trials! It still works but flash failed on dropping it.
I want to keep lenses and upgrade if possible.

Debris in the viewfinder is common on all DSLR's. My mom and I get it all the time. And her camera doesn't hardly get used outside of the studio mine on the other hand is out in all kinds of conditions. Its simple to fix they sell little blowers for getting dust off camera equipment if that doesn't work you can always send it in to the manufacture and they can clean or replace the focusing screen for you. Or if you have a local camera shop they can do that as well more than likely.

·
JD X585 owner
513 Posts
Another been there, done that story. This past summer I bought a new D7200 and Tamron G2 150-600mm lens to shoot air shows. When I bought it at Hunts, they asked me if I wanted to purchase their covers everything including drops warranty. I thought about it for a moment, but said rightly that in 40 years of taking pictures I had never dropped a camera - JINXED! I was at the air show at Westover AFB in Mass - first time out with the kit. Right after lunch the kit managed to disconnect itself from the strap while hanging at my side (user error from how I was holding things). It fell about two feet to the tarmac. Luckily things continued to function, but the camera was obviously damaged and the I was having intermittent focus issues. I sent both in for repairs to the manufacturers on my dime. Both did need corrections to the tune of about $300 each. Work was quick. A few of the shots I took after the drop at the show still came out great as evidenced in the attached. Still, a painful lesson and I feel your pain.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Another been there, done that story. This past summer I bought a new D7200 and Tamron G2 150-600mm lens to shoot air shows. When I bought it at Hunts, they asked me if I wanted to purchase their covers everything including drops warranty. I thought about it for a moment, but said rightly that in 40 years of taking pictures I had never dropped a camera - JINXED! I was at the air show at Westover AFB in Mass - first time out with the kit. Right after lunch the kit managed to disconnect itself from the strap while hanging at my side (user error from how I was holding things). It fell about two feet to the tarmac. Luckily things continued to function, but the camera was obviously damaged and the I was having intermittent focus issues. I sent both in for repairs to the manufacturers on my dime. Both did need corrections to the tune of about $300 each. Work was quick. A few of the shots I took after the drop at the show still came out great as evidenced in the attached. Still, a painful lesson and I feel your pain.

Nice shot! I to used this camera at Airshow this summer! Love how well it took them. I’m sending it in to Nikon for possible warranty/estimate.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts