My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many years ago, I was with some friends swimming in a local quarry, and there was a guy with a little gas-powered contraption that had a small 2-cycle engine on it like off a chainsaw or similar size. Attatched to it was a little propeller and it had an intake tube about a foot tall with a ping pong ball in it so it wouldn't get water ingested in it. He fired it up, and wearing some flippers as rudders, he was cruising around the quarry at a pretty good clip.

I've always wanted one of those things, but never knew what to really search for on eBay or other sites. That would be quite the attention getter at the lake, and a great way to cool off. I'd get a couple of them if they were cheap enough, so a friend could go with me too.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
That thing is called a "Waterbouy" and they're not very environmentally friendly! The company finally went into the 2 stroke mower business and the aquatic side of the business sank. Today you want one of these:

http://kinginflatables.com/store/shop.php?pid=242&sid=58&cid=21&start=0

No environmentally nasty 2 stroke mess with this one!

"SAVE THE SNAIL DARTERS AND THE COLORADO HUMPBACK CHUBS!"

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I figured out what it was. An Aqua Scooter! They make them in gas or electric versions, but the gassers are super expensive! There's a few on eBay right now, and the cheapest one is $400! They still make them too. www.aquascooters.com

·
Simplicity Benn
1,574 Posts
hey that's pretty nifty!!! i want one, except I'd be afraid of going down to low and getting the engine hydro-locked, maybe the electric version is better....

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They're not really designed for diving, but more to just pull you along as you float on the surface. If I could find a used one that was cheap enough, I'd get it, but $400 is a bit steep for something I'd only use a couple times a year. The electric ones could dive, but I just like gas powered stuff better.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
When I was stationed at naval civil engeering lab (NCEL) in Port Pueneme ca, in the early 70's we tested some prototypes for the navy.

·
Master Junkinator........
102 Posts
heck! ill just make one, i was thinking, what if you take a gas leaf blower, (the weed eater brand)and put a snorkel on it so it dosent DRINK some water? thats something im gonna try!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
The original idea for that was invented by an escapee from E Germany named Bernd Bottger, who had to be able to swim 15 miles to a boat. I was involved with it in the late '70's doing work on it for an investment banker who was interested in buying the rights to this from Rockwell International. Visit the US Patent Office website and look at patent # 4,160,425 "Fuel system for aquatic craft."

1 - 9 of 9 Posts