My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have looked and looked for a serial number on my newly aquired tractor. The block says 8 N (cant read anything else). On one side of the trumpet I can read 9N 4013-B, under it reads B and then a hexagon. When I look at the serial number identification it says I should have more numbers but I have throughly cleaned it and can't find any more numbers. Am I overlooking something? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
serial # are on the flat spot just behind the oil fiter. On the bellhousing is a production date code # tag. Above this tag will be the embossed 8N or 8N-B
The #'s you posted from the trumpet are casting code #'s. Production code #'s should be under that. Hydraulic pump also has a production date code on the pump under the tractor. There will also be #'s on the trans.

Kirk

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,190 Posts
This is how it looks on our 9N & 2N. I couldn't make out the numbers until I wire brush the area.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
And if a wire brush doesn't get it, rubbing over the numbers with the side (not the end) of a stick of chalk works well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help guys. I have come to determine that it is a 9N with a 8N motor. The numbers on the side of the block are completely gone but there is an 8N on the motor by the bell housing. I went and looked at a friends restored 9N that I found all of his numbers. Everywhere his numbers are I cleaned and cleaned trying to find numbers and I guess the stamp guy took a nap when they were making my tractor. There are no numbers on the lift arms I did find numbers on the bottom of the pump pan that read 9N (606 or 625 going off memory). Also the steering box is the older style. I really wish I could determine the year but the serial number on the block is completely gone. It looks like the raised square area where it would be has been chipped off. I meant to take pictures last night and I forgot I will try to get some tonight. Thank you for all of the help.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I've seen a few industrial 8N power units with NO serial numbers stamped on the block,prob. one of those.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've seen a few industrial 8N power units with NO serial numbers stamped on the block,prob. one of those.
The patriot, you called it. I found a plate on the right side of the motor that read...
Ford
Industrial engine
4-0- 1808-F8AR
Does this mean anything?
I also changed the oil tonight and found 9N6727A3 on the inside of the plug.
I am questioning now what the engine is. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Best to post some photos of the tractor from all sides.
Ford industrial engine tag. Front dizzy mount or side dizzy mount?
I have a 1949 Ind engine with a magneto on it which some of the engines came with depending on there applacation.
Trans. 3 speed or 4 speed?

Kirk

·
Retired MTF Admin
26,573 Posts
I have looked and looked for a serial number on my newly aquired tractor. The block says 8 N (cant read anything else). On one side of the trumpet I can read 9N 4013-B, under it reads B and then a hexagon. When I look at the serial number identification it says I should have more numbers but I have throughly cleaned it and can't find any more numbers. Am I overlooking something? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
We really need pictures to help ID your tractor...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok guys here are a few pictures I snapped tonight. If you need anything special let me know and I will try to snap some more. I tried to put a caption under the pics but seem to be having trouble. One is of the wheel, one the shifter, one the plate on the motor, one that is stamped is on the trumphet on the axle and one (8N letters) is on the motor next to the bell housing. If you can't read all of the plate above the numbers it reads industrial engine. Thanks again for the help. Ok so I just previewed the pictures and where I resized them I totally messed them up. The number on the plate after the 1808 is -F8AR. Sorry for the messed up pics I will try doing it again later.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
9N 1939 or early 1940 from the photos you have posted.
Smooth hubs.
Starter button on dash next to Amp meter. Moved to to top of trans cover early 1940 at serial #12500.

Does it have the early style 4 spoke truck steering wheel? Drop in battery hatch door or is it hinged? Is the gas tank fill hole in the middle of the tank or off to one side? Early '39 had aluminum hoods and doglegs but the location of the starter button would not indicate you have this but you never know.

on the engine ford industrial, above the 8N is a tag that is the production date code. From the looks of it the battery acid from above battery has eaten it up, this is comon. Small letter D under 8N.
BO on the trumpets may indicate an industrial or early tug. Would need to see the brake pedal/s because it was a different system.

Kirk

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Front spindle grease zerks '39/'40
Hood is off an 8n.
12 volt conversion.
If I were you I would plan on relocating or replacing that rubber gas line that's lying on top of the exhaust manifold. Maybe why PO replaced engine and hood

Kirk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the info Kirk. One more question and I am done, I promise. What its different about the industrial engine? Just kind of curious about it.Thanks

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Ford industrial engines were used in industrial applications such as gensets/irragation pumps/wood chippers/leaf Vac systems/welders/sprayers and some farm applications. Some ran with a generator and battery and some ran with a magneto. Some had a clutch and others wereconnected to a pulley.
I have found that a lot of them were not used as much as the tractors and the engines can be in better shape. This can be a great way to repower an old N or hundred series tractor.

Kirk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts