My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
here lately its been in the upper 90's and we've had little rain. i've been watering the grass for about 10-15 minutes a day about 5:30pm when i get off work. this weekend i decided to mow the grass then dethatch it. i always have the mower deck on its highest setting because of the high heat and low moisture. i decided to dethatch because i was seeing alot of dead grass i assumed it was thatch. i bag every other mow. i mow every 2 weeks because the grass isn't growing as fast. anyway, i thatched and pulled up alot of dead brown grass. i ran over the piles of dead grass with the mower/bagger to vaccuum it up. 3 days later i have even more dead brown grass. should i have left the thatch there to trap in moisture? also i treat the back yard the same way only i never water it. the back yard grows twice as fast and theres no thatch or dead grass at all.

this is my first yard and my first season using the lawn and garden equipment so forgive my ignorance.

edit: about a month and a half ago before it started getting hot and when it was still raining once a week i started seeing brown spots in the front yard about the size of dinner plates. rewind to 3 1/2 months ago and i dug up some grubs while i was metal detecting in the front yard. i assumed the brown spots were grubs so i put down some ortho grub killer. all but one brown spot cleared up and turned back to green grass within a few weeks.

also: it seems like the soil in the front yard is much harder than the back yard. the soil in the front yard is hard as a freaking rock up to about 15-20 feet out from the house. it drys and cracks and there are spots where i can't get grass to grow anyway. i assume its clay that was dug up when they dug the foundation for the house 70 or 80 years ago. beyond 15-20 feet the soil is much softer and the grass was growing very well up untill about a month ago. now its mostly brown and dead in the front yard.
the house faces west. the back yard is pretty shaded at all times as all the trees are on the south side of the property blocking the sun. the front yard is shaded by trees untill about 5:30 when the sun is low enough in the horizon to beat the crap out of the front yard.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
i've been watering the grass for about 10-15 minutes a day about 5:30pm when i get off work...
Such a short watering at that time of day is a waste of time and water as it will mostly just evaporate. The best time to water is very early in the morning when there might be some dew on the grass.

·
Registered
120 Posts
If you can't water in the morning than water longer. Put a can down somewhere the sprinkler is hitting and when it's 1/2" full you have watered enough. If you time it the first time you know how long to leave the sprinkler on from that point on before you have to move it to a new spot or turn it off. Leave the clippings down the next few times you mow. The clippings contain nitrogen and will also give some cover for the lawn bed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts