My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fell bad doing so. Although, I didn't call him to come get the JD 345 so he could have me pay an enormous repair bill. Instead, I did the repair myself.

Here's why.
While mowing around noon today, the mower (PTO) quit. Just as I was half finish with the five acres. First thought was the mower belt broke, or came off the PTO pulley. Upon checking, that wasn't the case. Tried several times to see if it would start up, but that was it...no mowing today. Drove it into the garage and removed the 54" deck. Put a 25 lb. cinder block on the seat, set the brake and started the engine. Pulled up on the PTO switch and the PTO clutch would not engage. NOTE: If I had called the dealer, he would no doubt told me it was a PTO clutch...Cost: about $179.00.
plus couple hundred for labor.

Being an old dude at outboard, automobile repairs, figured the problem had to be between the PTO switch and the PTO clutch. Sure enough, the PTO wiring connector...T28586 was toast. It had (the connector) was rusted so the electrical voltage wasn't reaching the clutch. Looking in my collection of electrical wiring, found the same plug (connector) to make the repairs.
Taken about 2 hours to do the repairs and clean up, and the PTO works like a charm.
Really fell sorry for the dealer on his lost....money that is.

·
A semi-retired senior cit
2,132 Posts
Don`t forget the wait when they got the time. The AM119536 CLUTCH $160.00 best price I`ve seen from JD. I paid $256.00 for one a few years ago, that was the best price I could find on line.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
:thThumbsU:thThumbsU slkpk

·
Registered
865 Posts
I wonder where the dealer gets his cinder blocks... Snap On?
no, they probably just charge twice the labor and said someone had to sit on it. :D

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Glad you got it fixed.
But, let's be thankful we're blessed with a skill. There are technicians on here who feed their families with their little piece of that would-have-been $200 repair bill.

·
Super Moderator
36,626 Posts
Congrats on figuring out the issue and doing it yourself. Many folks now just don't have the analytical skills to solve these types of problems so the dealers are doing well (at least that's what my dealer told me!) in the service department!

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Good job on the fix. Happy mowing.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I recently bought a 2001 JD345 with the 54" deck. In the deal the dealer threw in a new set of blades. The first weekend I had the machine I pulled the deck to change or sharpen the blades. While the deck was off, I looked closely at everything on the tractor. I found the main drive belt had "chunks" missing. On Monday I called the dealer and asked him about it. He told me there wasn't a warranty, but if I wanted to put the belt on he would give it to me. I made the trip to the dealers. While there I asked about the Hydro filters and oil. The parts man gave me a price. While we were talking the owner, who was my salesman, walked through. He told the parts guy to give me the hydro filters and 2 gallons of oil. He said he loves to see guys actually maintain these machines.

I can't say I cheated him, I was perfectly willing to buy the filters and oil. After all they are just normal maintenance items.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts