My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Gravely Model L Guy
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i was at the mow-in in August I bought a pair of gear reduction wheels for my 1951 L for $150 they were in good shape and the man even gave me a set of bearings for them for free! when i brought them home and put them on my L i have to sand a little bit around the axle seal to get the rust off so they would go on. well i tried to take them off yesterday and they would not budge an inch! they did go on a little hard but i could have gotten them off easily then. I am afraid to hammer on them. i dont know if they would crack or not. Any suggestions?

Thanks

·
Gravelyyard.com
5,922 Posts
Spray the junction where the GRDs fit to the axle flange with lots of penetrating oil. Give it time to soak in. Grab the top and bottom of the GRD and try to wiggle it back and forth and twisting it front to back. If it moves a little, spray more oil. Try that and see if they will move any.

Don't bang on them with a hammer. That's fairly thin cast iron and it could crack. That will void your warranty.

And when you get them off, always put a layer of grease around the axle flange to keep the rust at bay. That guy should have told you that.

·
Gravely Model L Guy
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What warranty? haha Thanks for the tip I will give it a try!

·
Premium Member
3,028 Posts
Talks of voiding a Gravely warrenty, particpates in Terimite races, has tractors that just jump into his truck or follow him home, has a very attractive wife in pink boots; some guys just have it all.

When can we do a skit on S.N.L?

I'm envious Ron, Roger ;-}

·
Gravely Model L Guy
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you ever get the GRWs off?
No I have not tried yet. high school takes up a lot of time! this weekend i think i will though

1 - 7 of 7 Posts