1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
HeadCase For My Ingersoll
1,359 Posts
I think alot of that has to do with Joe's reputation. Keep in mind there's an a$$ for every seat and a sucker born every minute. Just because one or two items sell at the extreme high or extreme low of the price scale doesn't automatically mean they are all worth that now. Of course there are sellers who will use this as ammunition when selling their 3-points... But the most realistic answer is that it was a very nice piece, Joe did his job listing it properly, and two or three bidders wanted it really bad.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do not find any fault with the seller. I have bought things from him in the past and he is a good business man. I just did not realize folks would pay so much for these things. Makes me very happy to know what a great deal I got for my Case 444 with 3pt, deck, tiller and a sleeve hitch also. All for $300.00. No wonder these things are, bought and parted out, as soon as the go on the market. Wish I lived in Michigan. Seems all the case tractors and implements being sold on EBay are up there.

Nick

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
That was a record amount for a used J-26 hitch and so was the $225.00 paid for a pair of used cast-iron 37 lb wheel weights. That was a most interesting auction. Some items sold for peanuts. I know............because when Joe listed that tractor, I put every single listing into my "watch". I was there from the moment the steering wheel sold until the hammer came down on the last pair of wheel weights.

The auctions were spaced one minute apart so I had to scramble like crazy to get in bids on the items I wanted. When the dust settled, I ended up with around 13 wins and maybe 4 or 5 losses. I already knew the history of this tractor. It was almost brand new because it had been sitting in a warehouse still crated for ages before the original owner bought it a few years ago and modified it. In my opinion, it had no more than 200 hours on it in spite of the fact that it was a 1977.

Had I not been so sure of that fact, there's no way I'd have bought the hydraulic pump from it along with the other wear items. It always amazes me as to what people will pay for some items but not pay for others. Take the weights for instance. If you were restoring a tractor and felt that you just had to have that OEM look, then the pair of 37 lb discs were the ticket and if you felt that you could afford the $225.00 for that set, who am I to argue?

But Joe also had a pair of weights that had a $250.00 reserve on them and the bids never topped $100.00 IIRC. To me, if the 37 lb weights were worth $225.00 because you NEEDED wheel weights for plowing etc, then why weren't the 105 lb weights worth $25.00 more ? Puzzle me that, Batman.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Castoff

I just bought three items from Joe and even though the items were spread over a three day period, I waited to pay for them until I had made all three purchases. I received three different invoices from him. the second invoice he sent consolidated the shipping charges as did the third which I paid last night. Long story short, I only paid shipping charges once and saved a few bucks. He is an honest business man and does not use the shipping charges to make a profit.

As for the cost of the 3pt, I doubt I would have paid all that money for something like that because it was near new, when a dirty, rusted one would clean up and be just as useful for half the money. To me that does not make sense. On the other hand, if I really want or need something, I am ready to outbid someone, no matter the cost, on most occasions, so sometimes I probably pay more than I should.

I understand he had tried to sell the tractor complete, but could not. Anyone know what the asking price was? I watched the video of it running and it really did look like it was in prime condition.

Nick

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
Joe's integrity or honesty is not in question here.

That hitch sold for what it did because the buyer was willing to pay that much. Good luck in finding a 3 pt on e-Bay that is COMPLETE for less then $350.00 these days. Joe offered the tractor on e-Bay with a low opening bid but it was subject to a reserve which was not met when the hammer dropped at $2100.00.

The guy who built the tractor tried to sell it several times on e-Bay and C/L for around the $3500.00 mark with no success.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Funny thig was, when I went there, he had another one sitting in front of the one I bought. Two days later, I saw it up for sale and I caller him. It had already been sold. I would have brought both of them home if I had know he wanted to sell it. When I asked him why he did not tell me about it, he said he just that day decided to sell it. Asking price was $400.00 same as he was asking for the one I bought. I offered him $300.00 and he jumped at it. Bet I could have gotten both for $600.00 or even less. Neither were running, but the one in mine turned by hand and had compression.

Nick

·
1,359 Posts
Km3h
you stole that 444 for that price. because i was next in line for it
All of us within a 200 mile radius were next in line. That tractor and implements are going to be a story I tell for years.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's it. I am parting mine out. With these prices, I should make about six grand. Just kidding.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
Got a similar surprise on a different item. I was watching it on Ebay and price kept going up and up..... I belive I have seen similar pieces go for around $30-50. Anyway, tak a look...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260639103801&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

That's what happens when 4 people who have not done their research end up paying more than double the price of a brand new gear. They currently sell for $89.99 at the parts counter of honest dealers.

I paid $20.60 for the one I just bought from Joe that came off that Monster 444 Case he parted out.

·
1,359 Posts
Sometimes even infomed bidders overpay just through competition. The reason I say that; Years ago Dad had a 55 Ford F100 he was resto modding. Eventually he decided to sell the the truck and parts, and devote his time instead to his 49 F1. He had a set of stainless shorty 302 headers bought from a eBay for $289. Still unused and in the box, he relisted them and explained in full why he was selling, what they were, who he bought them from, and for how much. Bidding ended at $350 even though the original seller still had them for $289. Shipping was about the same cost between the two and both had stellar feedback. The price jumped from $275 to $350 within the auction's final two minutes. Three bidders who had been one-upping each other during the entire auction had begun a bidding war and drove the price beyond retail through competitive nature trumping common sense.

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
OP: and i thought sears 3pts were pricey!! this makes my $75 one look like peanuts!

·
1,359 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
A lot of good looking hardware there...
I went to dinner a few weeks ago, there was 4 of us. We spent $260, I'd rather have the 3pt!!! Luckily I didn't pay for it. Value is a realitive term.

·
GET TOUGH GET A CASE!
826 Posts
Good grief !!!

I think I'm going to :thSick::thSick::thSick::thSick::thSick:
Haha! I just saw that earlier today. Some people...:banghead3 :fing20:

I am amazed at those prices. I wanted those head lights Joe was selling. Guess I should have used the buy it now, but I'm looking at getting a 226 next week so it's all good. lol :fing32:

So how much do a pair of Ingersoll 400 series rear weights sell for new and a 3 point hitch? Brian do you know?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts