My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Just me
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was doing a favor for my neighbor by mowing her yard and I snagged my $100 canopy on her old broken down fence that was flopped over. It snapped one of the fiber glass rods smooth in two. :crybaby:

Now the canopy is all wonky-doodle all over the place, it's not even usable now.

I looked in the instructions that came with the canopy and there are no part numbers listed at all, no indication how I would go about ordering a new rod.

It can't cost much and certainly they must sell a replacement because it comes completely apart, it was all in a little bitty box and I had to put it all together.

But how or where would I look for a replacement part? I doubt Lowes will sell them, they will just try to sell me a whole new canopy. And that's just out of the question. I can't afford another one now. This one was $100!

HELP!!! Please!!

·
John Deere 316 Onan
868 Posts
Would a tent rod work?

·
Super Moderator
32,732 Posts
Darn, threw my old tent away earlier this year! Would have sent you one just for postage!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Maybe you can find metal tubing at the hardware or automotive parts store that you could insert the broken ends into.

·
Registered
317 Posts
2 good ideas so far. a piece of conduit with the right inside diameter should do it. If not head to wally world and go through the camping dept to look for a pole there or just a cheap pup tent.
Is your rod one piece now? and if so how does it bend so much as it goes in to the curvature of the roof?

·
Just me
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh it's broke broke. It broke right at the end where it connects into the big pipe in the back. :(

I like the idea of putting a metal tube over the end. That might do.

OMG... $22 for a replacement?? Ouch........ :( Not this week..

And thank you for finding the number. I don't know how you did it.
I took that part number you found and put it into their website and it did show up as something I can buy. But it says no one has it in stock so I would have to order it through the internet. What stops me cold is that it won't show me the shipping costs without committing to the purchase. So you like agree to buy is for $22 but they won't tell you how much the shipping is until it's too late to say no. I sure as heck am not going to buy the thing then find out they are going to stick me with $20 shipping for something that weighs a few ounces. I'm sorry but I think that's a bad policy the way they do that.

I think I will call around Houston and see if I can find a store where I can walk in and buy one.

I think for now I will see about the metal tube trick. I think that might do it if I can just find one the right size. At least that would work well enough to give me time to find a proper replacement.

Thank you guys! :)

·
the "AWOL member"
4,954 Posts
Check with a Deere dealer if they don't stock it quite possibly they can order it in with a regular stocking order and save you the shipping.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Go to a camping store and ask for a pole sleeve repair kit. Part of the kit is a aluminum tube about 3 to 4 inches long. Slide that tube over the broken section. That should hold for a while until you can purchase a new pole.

·
Just me
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Go to a camping store and ask for a pole sleeve repair kit. Part of the kit is a aluminum tube about 3 to 4 inches long. Slide that tube over the broken section. That should hold for a while until you can purchase a new pole.
Oh cool! Thank you!

Now to find one of those stores... :confused:

edit: Would "Academy Sports & Outdoors" be a place I could find something like that? There is one pretty much next door to Lowes..

·
Registered
243 Posts
Oh cool! Thank you!

Now to find one of those stores... :confused:

edit: Would "Academy Sports & Outdoors" be a place I could find something like that? There is one pretty much next door to Lowes..
Dee Ann - most likely. Most places that sell camping tents sell the little repair kits.

·
Just Have a Little Faith!
9,271 Posts
I believe Lowes sells a long fiberglass pole with a flag on the end. Used on bicycles or what ever for visibility. Or maybe at a bike shop.

·
Just me
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wheeeeeeeee!! I fixed it!

Sort of....

I was asking the neighbors if they had some metal tubes to fix my canopy rod with. I took the broken one with me to show them.

One of my neighbors told me "Wait right here, I'll be back in a few minutes."
I sat in the shade for about 10 minutes and he came back out with a handfull of rods. It turned out he had an old tent that he hasn't used in like 15 years.

The tent poles were made in the exact same way as my canopy rods!
But the tent pole was like 2 1/2 times as long as my canopy rod.

He took my rod and put it together and connected the tent pole then laid them side by side. Three sections of the tent pole were the exact same length as my canopy rod!

So he took out a pocket knife and pulled three sections apart and cut the elastic string then knotted it up so it can't go back down inside the pole.

Bingo! An almost perfect replacement! So he told me "Merry Christmas" and walked back to his house. I said "Free? I can have it for free?" and he said "Sure, enjoy. Maybe I'll have you mow my yard one day."

The only problem is that the tent thing is smaller around than the JD poles but not too much. I haven't tried it yet but I see no reason at all why it wouldn't work.

I'll find out in the morning if it will really work but I'm pretty sure it will!

I also did some googling around and found someone that sells replacement rods for an acceptable price. At least they tell you up front what the shipping is and I thought the shipping was more than fair. So it's on my budget, I need to order one, maybe next month. Right now money is a bit short.

Tomorrow I will take pictures of the broken parts and the new tent pole part.
Oh yeah, it also doesn't match color. The JD ones are black, the tent pole is white. I tried to paint it but the paint didn't stick, it flakes off if you stare at it hard. sigh.....

Oh well, for now I think I'm back in business! Yay!! :050:

Thank you all for your wonderful suggestions!! :)

:thanku:

·
Registered
25 Posts
I was doing a favor for my neighbor by mowing her yard and I snagged my $100 canopy on her old broken down fence that was flopped over. It snapped one of the fiber glass rods smooth in two. :crybaby:

!
No good deed goes unpunished.:banghead3

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
As for painting the rod have you tried a black magic marker ? Their a solvent based paint/ink basicly and may stick ok if the surface is lightly scratched with very fine sandpaper .

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
Wheeeeeeeee!! I fixed it!

Sort of....

I was asking the neighbors if they had some metal tubes to fix my canopy rod with. I took the broken one with me to show them.

One of my neighbors told me "Wait right here, I'll be back in a few minutes."
I sat in the shade for about 10 minutes and he came back out with a handfull of rods. It turned out he had an old tent that he hasn't used in like 15 years.

The tent poles were made in the exact same way as my canopy rods!
But the tent pole was like 2 1/2 times as long as my canopy rod.

He took my rod and put it together and connected the tent pole then laid them side by side. Three sections of the tent pole were the exact same length as my canopy rod!

So he took out a pocket knife and pulled three sections apart and cut the elastic string then knotted it up so it can't go back down inside the pole.

Bingo! An almost perfect replacement! So he told me "Merry Christmas" and walked back to his house. I said "Free? I can have it for free?" and he said "Sure, enjoy. Maybe I'll have you mow my yard one day."

The only problem is that the tent thing is smaller around than the JD poles but not too much. I haven't tried it yet but I see no reason at all why it wouldn't work.

I'll find out in the morning if it will really work but I'm pretty sure it will!

I also did some googling around and found someone that sells replacement rods for an acceptable price. At least they tell you up front what the shipping is and I thought the shipping was more than fair. So it's on my budget, I need to order one, maybe next month. Right now money is a bit short.

Tomorrow I will take pictures of the broken parts and the new tent pole part.
Oh yeah, it also doesn't match color. The JD ones are black, the tent pole is white. I tried to paint it but the paint didn't stick, it flakes off if you stare at it hard. sigh.....

Oh well, for now I think I'm back in business! Yay!! :050:

Thank you all for your wonderful suggestions!! :)

:thanku:
I know this may be too late but if you can measure the rod length and diameter this is a great place to get the rod you need and they are very reasonable, or you might get it from a kite store they use them also.

I just cant see spending that much on something just because it says JD on the box !

http://www.goodwinds.com/?gclid=CP3FsaOl_qACFeQc5wodp2uyxA

Attachments

·
Registered
843 Posts

Sorry to hear about your mishap. Great to hear about your fixing! Sounds like you have some nice neighbors after all.
Always what I suspected, wild women riding through the garden...:greendr:

:trink39:

Nice ride btw.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts