That is very nice. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
man that is freakin awesome!!!!!!!!

·
2 stroke enthusiast
6,568 Posts
I've always enjoyed looking at cut away sections like these! Just keep the bare aluminum sprayed down with clear silicone spray for good corrosion control. I use it on many of my small engines subjected to moisture, especially on snowblowers.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Nice educational tool Ron. I always wondered why Lawn Boy dropped the speed lever on the brick tops, to me it really made sense.
I can barely make it out, but does that piston have the oil holes for the wrist pin, another thing not seen in later years. I have one old piston with these holes and I'm thinking about putting them in all my later pistons D and F.

·
nothing of interest
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice educational tool Ron. I always wondered why Lawn Boy dropped the speed lever on the brick tops, to me it really made sense.
I can barely make it out, but does that piston have the oil holes for the wrist pin, another thing not seen in later years. I have one old piston with these holes and I'm thinking about putting them in all my later pistons D and F.
There is a hole in the top of the rod cap.
If this is what you are talking about.
You can see the disassembled piston in the parts laying on the bench.
If you click on the thumbnails it will bring up a larger pic, then you can click again to enlarge the larger pic,, at least that's how my system works.
P.S. I never did like speed control, I run em wide open all the time, but that's just me.

·
Registered
247 Posts
If you can run a snowblower at 4000rpm, can you run a mower at 4000rpm? I have some real PITA neighbours nearby and would love nothing more then to cut the grass at 4k!! They already hate the old Gravely commercial 5665 with snow blower that I use in the winter. My lawn is only 1/4 acre so the Gravely is too big to cut the lawn so I need something else. LOL.

Maybe for mix in the 4k rpm LB I can use the Castrol R castor bean oil that a buddy gave me about 25 years ago. He used to race bikes. The exhaust smells great when using the Castrol R.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Ron you should start an online LawnBoy training class(es). Open your own website and get paid for the hits.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Ron, the holes I am referring to are in the wrist pin bosses on the bottom of the piston and are for wrist pin lubrication. For some reason Lawn Boy stopped putting the holes in. They are only seen on the older engines.

·
nothing of interest
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you can run a snowblower at 4000rpm, can you run a mower at 4000rpm? I have some real PITA neighbours nearby and would love nothing more then to cut the grass at 4k!! They already hate the old Gravely commercial 5665 with snow blower that I use in the winter. My lawn is only 1/4 acre so the Gravely is too big to cut the lawn so I need something else. LOL.

Maybe for mix in the 4k rpm LB I can use the Castrol R castor bean oil that a buddy gave me about 25 years ago. He used to race bikes. The exhaust smells great when using the Castrol R.
Sure, you can run your mower at 4k , but for how long, I don't know.
Weather conditions vary alot between using a snow blower vs a lawn mower.
I think that is the main reason a snow blower can wrap the 4k RPM's.

·
nothing of interest
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ron, the holes I am referring to are in the wrist pin bosses on the bottom of the piston and are for wrist pin lubrication. For some reason Lawn Boy stopped putting the holes in. They are only seen on the older engines.
Here's the best pic I could get on the piston.

Attachments

·
nothing of interest
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I also forgot that the carb had a steel needle in it, not a rubber tip one.
Mike72, yes there is another hole, I couldn't get a pic of it tho.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Sure, you can run your mower at 4k , but for how long, I don't know.
Weather conditions vary alot between using a snow blower vs a lawn mower.
I think that is the main reason a snow blower can wrap the 4k RPM's.
Oh well, I tried. Thx for the reply.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts