My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,after picking up my old gravely 1138 at a yard sale for $100 and getting more performance than my past new sears units at $1400 plus, I am now a bleed red gravely fan.though it seems to go through the belts quick. aligning problem probly,but after a few tries its getting better. I am now considering upping to an 8122 with a 50 " deck or 40 ".......seller on ebay will offer either one i choose shall i win bid.
while searching gravely i stumbled on your forum when a poster had mentioned finding a free 1138 on craigslist and wondered if it was worth the time..........
are you kidding me ? my 1138 with a lousy 11 horse motor and dull,beat-up blades [got new ones for the end of year, would do now,but need impact wrench to get old ones off]outdoes all my past sears,cub,simplicity hands down.
cuts flatter,less ridging,and handles the thickest parts of the yard without a whimper. it aint the pertiest mower , but my yard has everyone looking when i cruise by on this old timer.
so.if i get my nicer rebuilt 8122 , i will be double blessed.
wish me luck.:trink39:

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
Glad you joined!
:wwp: If you need easy Picture help

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Glad you joined!
:wwp: If you need easy Picture help
thanks for the welcome.........pics will follow at a point when i want to aggravate myself into snappin the pics,loding 'em in the puter and goin through all those hoops.looks to be about a 3-beer task.gonna be another time.......:smilie_fl

·
Premium Member
5,199 Posts
:Welcome1: jj!

Sounds like you did good with your 1138. I often have that kind of experience with gravely gear, the 30-40-50 year old stuff works better than the shiny new modern gear which costs 10 times the price.

You may not yet be aware, but the 1138 is a bit of an oddball in the gravely line of riders. Different drivetrain and different attachments, which don't mix with the 400/800/etc machines. By all accounts it's a dandy machine, you just don't get the interoperability.

If you want another bigger/beefier unit, in my estimation you can't go wrong with that 8122. I got an 812 (earlier version) this year, and it's wonderful. Built like a tank, simple to use, and just plain does the job. I've mostly been a two-wheel guy, so not an expert on the 4-wheelers, but this thing is making a believer out of me. I have the 50" deck, which works great for me, others will likely tell you you want the 40 :)

Again welcome, and :wwp: !

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Ditto to what John said. If you enjoy your 1138, you'll certainly drool over an 800 or 8000 series tractor. The 400 series machines are good tractors too, though limited in their speed range. They were Gravely's 1st 4-wheel, geared drive machines.

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,735 Posts
Welcome!

And I'm the guy jrd warned you about. :D A Comm 40 on front or a 3 blade 40" in the center will be easier on the 12 HP. YMMV depending on your grass conditions.

And even though I have built a Gravely with a 35 HP engine on it, I also own a 1238H for parts for our 1232H. And a few 2-wheelers and other 4-wheelers too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome!

And I'm the guy jrd warned you about. :D A Comm 40 on front or a 3 blade 40" in the center will be easier on the 12 HP. YMMV depending on your grass conditions.

And even though I have built a Gravely with a 35 HP engine on it, I also own a 1238H for parts for our 1232H. And a few 2-wheelers and other 4-wheelers too.
thats what i am kinda thinking,plus it will give me a little better manuverability in and around some of the tight spots i have.

·
Premium Member
5,199 Posts
thats what i am kinda thinking,plus it will give me a little better manuverability in and around some of the tight spots i have.
Don knows what he's doing, his advice is worth taking seriously. I don't always follow it, but I always listen :)

Maneuverability may be the biggest consideration. Until I got the 812 with the 50" deck I was mowing with an L8 with a 30". The combination of greater width and center mount mean that there's a bunch of places I just can't get at with the rider. I generally get the L8 back out to finish those bits off.

If you have a bunch of little cul-de-sacs and other small odd-shaped parts of your lawn, you might do well to look for a front-mount deck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts