My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's right! I am now more of a Toro fan than a Lawn-Boy fan after buying a Toro! It is a 3 speed self-propelled 4-cycle 6.0 HP OHV Super Recycler commercial with BBC and an aluminum deck. I got a mulch plug and a bag with it. It is ready to mow. I used it a little and I love it. It is now my most top favorite mower! It needs a carb cleaning and a plug. It also needs the cable for the gear adjustment lubed up. It is stuck in 3rd. It should be fine. This mower runs and cuts great! The BBC and self-propel work great too. I am not sure of the model, I have to look. It is about eight years old. I also got the owners/operators manual with it. Pics later in the weekend. I want to sell most of my Lawn-Boy's off, except the 1954 IRB30LB, the 1958 5200, the 5244, the 6430 Suburban, the M21ZMR, and the 10247. I plan on getting the IRB30LB running and the 5200 back together. Also, I want to get the 5244 restored. The 6430 needs some parts and a restore. The M needs some parts and work. The 10247 is fine as is.

I am still a Lawn-Boy fan, but becoming a Toro fan. I plan on buying another Toro commercial soon. Please understand me and do not reject me for changing my hobby around a little.

Still a Lawn-Boy fan, and now a Toro fan-

Colin

·
Old engine addict
292 Posts
I've had quite a few of the older Toro mowers over the years. I must be missing something...

Of course all the ones I had were plagued with Junkumseh engines, so maybe that's why I hated them.

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
Well, you're finally on your way to the zenith of walking mowers... Like graduating up to a Toro you will soon yeild to the clarion call of the "Top of the Top" walking mower........ That's right, a Snapper HiVac w/Ninja mulching system, bagger and side discharge chute. You're almost there, you got the colors right at last!:ROF:D:D:D

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for understanding guys. These Toros are just great! I plan on getting a few more. I have fallen for these Toros within a day! TAD! Toro Addiction Disorder!:ROF

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is an exception though..... I am still interested in the newer Lawn-Boy's- the Dura Force's.....:fing32:

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Toros arent bad i just prefer the LB's. My Toro is 20years old and it still out mows anything around. They do make quality mowers. What model is your toro? I think i have like a 20396 or something.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Hope you can get that 1954 model running. That thing would be cool!!!

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Toros arent bad i just prefer the LB's. My Toro is 20years old and it still out mows anything around. They do make quality mowers. What model is your toro? I think i have like a 20396 or something.
Do you have a pic of your Toro? I am not sure of my Toro's model number. I am not home right now.

·
Administrator
21,222 Posts
A little Grabber Green paint, and you'll feel right at home!

I've used a good quality Toro in the past for a few mows, and the only complaint I had was the fact that it was sooo very heavy to use to trim and maneuver.

·
Registered
656 Posts
That's OK.....I like my Toro too.....1959 Whirlwind....as you can see....:fing32:

·
Registered
352 Posts
Colin

If you have the room to store the LB's put off getting rid of them just yet. We have all sold stuff that we wish we would have kept. You were very passionate about LB's and I hate to see you break up your collection on the spur of the moment. Toro's are nice but you can collect both at the same time ..... they won't fight if stored in the same shed together.

·
2 stroke enthusiast
6,568 Posts
AHHHHHH, the phases of a confused young man's life! Just like the older OMC's the Toro's of vintage were designed and built better. Colin, yours is about the end of the the better ones in terms of build and quality. I've been working for a Toro dealer lately, and the new pushers are mostly all steel decks now, unless you buy the top line mower for the cast. I haven't done much research or sales in pushers, but did find out that Toro will substitute different features on the top line units that they all should be included when you're spending the BIG $$. Enjoy that mower young man!

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Colin

If you have the room to store the LB's put off getting rid of them just yet. We have all sold stuff that we wish we would have kept. You were very passionate about LB's and I hate to see you break up your collection on the spur of the moment. Toro's are nice but you can collect both at the same time ..... they won't fight if stored in the same shed together.
:thanku: I just don't like some of the Lawn-Boy's that I have now. I just want to get some newer Dura Force models.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Alright guys, I can't do it. I just can't do it. The Lawn-Boy hobby has been frustrating, costly, and time consuming for me. But, it is always worth it. I can't stop my Lawn-Boy hobby now! I still want some of my desired Lawn-Boy's. And first on the list is a Promotional Lawn-Boy. A commercial would be nice too. Now, I have a Toro hobby on the side! Two hobbies- oh boy!

·
Registered
972 Posts
That's pretty good megapixels for a phone! Nice Toro too!
If you read through some of my posts you'll see I love the Toros too. In fact I went through a time where I really enjoyed them more since the ones I had started and ran so easily and simply. THEN, I tore down and rebuilt and put a little sweat into an older model and guess what, it started and ran, which it didn't do before I rebuilt it. I think I was totally hooked at that point. Now I can't spend enough time and energy tinkering with them and I also love mowing with them the best...well, it's a pretty close tie I would say...

I haven't even started the 4 stroke Toros this year yet. In fact the SP Suzuki 4 stroker will get offered up for sale this season. I love the Lawn-Boys. I like Toros. I read ya though Colin, just don't make any rash decisions about letting the greenies go cuz as others have mentioned, you'll get seller's remorse. Just my 4 cents.

:thThumbsU

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's pretty good megapixels for a phone! Nice Toro too!
If you read through some of my posts you'll see I love the Toros too. In fact I went through a time where I really enjoyed them more since the ones I had started and ran so easily and simply. THEN, I tore down and rebuilt and put a little sweat into an older model and guess what, it started and ran, which it didn't do before I rebuilt it. I think I was totally hooked at that point. Now I can't spend enough time and energy tinkering with them and I also love mowing with them the best...well, it's a pretty close tie I would say...

I haven't even started the 4 stroke Toros this year yet. In fact the SP Suzuki 4 stroker will get offered up for sale this season. I love the Lawn-Boys. I like Toros. I read ya though Colin, just don't make any rash decisions about letting the greenies go cuz as others have mentioned, you'll get seller's remorse. Just my 4 cents.

:thThumbsU
Thanks 2201. Still, most of my older D and F engined Lawn-Boy's will go to fund a 10552 or a 22261.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts