My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
5K Poster!!!
5,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What a waste of my time....The trouble I go through to do all this shipping,packing and then get non-payers and then to hassle with people coming back saying the engines blown after such and such days.....I'm done with that stress. And then there is the outrageous cost of shipping to different zones.....Naturally most of my customers were about 4,000 miles from me so I lost money by paying upwards of almost $40 more than my original shipping quote of $85. My suggestion would be have a flat shipping quote of $120 to ship a mower. A lot of dough I know to ship a ten year old mower. Then on top of that you have sellers fees from e-pay and p-pal too!! Aghhhhhhhhh!

I tried it and that was good enough for me. I guess I'll have to sell them on the corner lots and take the losses.
If people want to meet me, fine..I'll drive upwards to two or so hours one way..Its less hassle and UPS sucks.

Thats my warning to you folks who are considering it.

Thanks for letting me vent!:trink39: I feel better now..

·
Administrator
21,213 Posts
I think that you'll still do OK if you put them on CL or Ebay with pickup only. Plus,no hassle.

Good Luck~

·
The Sea of Green Machines
4,766 Posts
Its a pain in the arse even when all goes well. Id hate to have all that happen to me. In thier eagerness to make the buying experience better Ebay has been making the selling experience a nightmare for some.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Even though you take a hit on final price, I would list as pickup only to save all those hassles. Also no Paypal is best... there's just too much buyer protection for that.

Having said that, I think this forum is probably one of the better ways to sell one of these goofy-looking green mowers...

·
Registered
972 Posts
What a waste of my time....The trouble I go through to do all this shipping,packing and then get non-payers and then to hassle with people coming back saying the engines blown after such and such days.....I'm done with that stress. And then there is the outrageous cost of shipping to different zones.....Naturally most of my customers were about 4,000 miles from me so I lost money by paying upwards of almost $40 more than my original shipping quote of $85. My suggestion would be have a flat shipping quote of $120 to ship a mower. A lot of dough I know to ship a ten year old mower. Then on top of that you have sellers fees from e-pay and p-pal too!! Aghhhhhhhhh!

I tried it and that was good enough for me. I guess I'll have to sell them on the corner lots and take the losses.
If people want to meet me, fine..I'll drive upwards to two or so hours one way..Its less hassle and UPS sucks.

Thats my warning to you folks who are considering it.

Thanks for letting me vent!:trink39: I feel better now..
Indy bring them to my house, I'd be more than happy to help you sell them, and I'm smack in the middle of KC.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I'm willing, just bring them over. You could handle cleaning them up and listing them. I could show them for you.

·
5K Poster!!!
5,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What happened Neal?
The guy e-mails me yesterday and says he can't pull the cord. Its froze up after eight days of use.. Sounds like operator error to me.
**** shame too because that was a prime engine. In perfect running order when it left my hands.

I feel bad because I feel like I have obligations to my buyers you know. I could send him a rebuilt shortblock but I'm sick of taking losses. Its time for the buyer to accept their mistake and move on.

I've also sold other items and had non-payers........that is frustrating to me because I don't understand why people go out of their way to bid against others then win and not pay!??? WTH???? I don't understand that sort of thinking!! E-pay is full of whack jobs. (myself included now!)

Neal

·
Registered
216 Posts
I've also sold other items and had non-payers........that is frustrating to me because I don't understand why people go out of their way to bid against others then win and not pay!??? WTH???? I don't understand that sort of thinking!! E-pay is full of whack jobs. (myself included now!)
Its rampant even off ebay. For me craigslist is even worse. To go back and forth over a part that they "have to have" and then to the point of all thats left is where/when to meet up and then they back out because its too far. All this over a period of 4days worth of messages. Its just insane.

But at least your not stuck w/any fees on CL. Just a mental meltdown with some of the craziest back and forth emails you have ever read. Sometimes you can get a good laugh at the grammer, but other times its just too stressfull.

Its my fault though, I fall into their trap every time.

About everyone suggesting to just list on ebay as pickup only, I really really wish there was less pickup onlys on ebay. So many gems (to me) have been listed as such and there always too far away. I suggest not setting a flat rate or at least stating that buyers out of state please hold for actual cost. I can understand what you mean about dealing with the extra shipping cost, since I too have fallen victim to guestamating before with car parts. It sucks.

Well Just wanted to relate since we all go through this kind of crap.
And its also nice to hear its not just me.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I have always had good luck selling stuff on ebay..

But then I was not selling a mower... I was thinking of selling the LB mower on ebay, but you guys have scared me on that!!!

I too have issues with people on Craigslist.... Some people call me back after a month and tell me the mower broke and they want their money back!!

I make sure to tell people that they are buying a used mower...

Now stuff happens, I had a guy call me with in 6 hours saying there was a problem, he brought it back and there was, so I just gave him another mower..

It is all a Pain in A##!!!

But we need remember one thing.. When we sell stuff online the fees are really not bad, think about how much it would be to rent a Brick Mortor???

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I'm going to throw my attorney hat on here. I think everyone here is a stand up person. Much moreso than a dealership (selling used items would be). The BEST thing to do when you place an add (ebay or otherwise) is put the sale conditioned "AS-IS" with no warranties implied or express by you (the seller) for used equipment. You can guarantee they you've replaced or rebuilt X, Y and Z and that the mower has a sharpened blade etc. You would not be legally responsible for replacing a mower 2 weeks later than seizes because their 10 year old straight gasses it without them knowing. Too many variables legally.

You can have a gentlemen's agreement to field questions for issues or problems but by no means are you REQUIRED to return money or exchange for a proper mower.

Now being an honest seller-with a good product sold, there is no other way to ensure, or no way to protect yourself. What's to stop a buyer from calling two weeks later "saying man it blew up" and perhaps his son or brother is doing this.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7Fh5m7YfXU

I've do feel for sellers on here though. I go through it myself. People asking me to lower the price because they have "lost everything" and they'll be by later that day to pick it up, and they are with such and such a church (playing on me being a Christian). I waste all day waiting and they never show up. I think it's the way of society now. I just re-list and pray for a decent human being to buy it, and the whole transaction goes smoothly.

Another word of advice. Try to meet locally. I would refrain from actually having people come to your house unless you are positive they are upstanding. They may come by see the goodies and decide to come back later and TAKE what they want.

Attorney hat off.

·
Registered
216 Posts
That video?! Thats exactly what happened to Indys mower!
Aggresive mulching!

And Im the same way, I always meet at a chevron.

I dont know you so stay away from my stuff. Its sad but im paranoid like that.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I'm frustrated, too. After about 8 years, and a 450 100% positive rating, I received a negative rating on an item I sold - saying my description was bad. In fact my description was clear on the item. Of course the buyer never contaced me about this. This was for a Lawn-Boy item so I don't know if was anyone here, but I'm not even sure if I can resolve this. I understand the frustration with ebay. I don't need this.

·
Registered
569 Posts
That video?! Thats exactly what happened to Indys mower!
Aggresive mulching!

And Im the same way, I always meet at a chevron.

I dont know you so stay away from my stuff. Its sad but im paranoid like that.
Thanks for posting that...

I use to do that..

But lately I have been lazy..

Don't want no one taking one of the 30 non working mowers in my garage!!

Seriously I will start meeting away from the house from now on..

·
Lawn-Boy fan
1,566 Posts
Ebay can be very frustrating. I have had for the most part, good experiences.

This past winter I listed a set of cylinders for a ski-doo I parted out. They sold for $100, and the buyer never responded to my invoices or e-mails. Well, then to get a final value fee credit you have to follow protocol. Give him (buyer) a week to respond, then if he doesn't you have ANOTHER week after that to open and close the dispute before you can relist it and at that point the buyer can't leave a negative.

SO... I waited. Then relisted. Sold them again, for $86 this time. Different buyer... no response... WTF I'm thinking. Wait out the same deal, and I sent him a couple e-mails to which I received no response. So FINALLY, after the two weeks the case was open, then closed, I got my final value fee and relisted. The DAY I relisted, the second idiot buyer paid me... 2 WEEKS after the auction's end when my description says "payment required in 3 business days." So I refunded his money and he said "I was in Texas." My response was "they don't have computers in Texas?"

THIRD time I relisted I just did a buy it now of $40, paypal only, immediate payment required. Sold in 4 hours. This is one time where ebay was a big pain in the arse for me.... Most other times things have been good. I hope they continue, but I always try to be understanding if I'm a buyer OR seller before leaving feedback. I ALWAYS talk with the person and in the past we've always come to an agreement and made it a positive transaction.

Those are my thoughts (and my ebay rant). Neal, you don't owe him anything. If you can help him BUY the replacement parts from you at a reasonable cost I think that's the best a seller could do.

-Bob

·
Registered
569 Posts
I have switched to BUY IT Now with free shipping USPS Parcel post... I just add in the price of shipping and maybe a few $$ ..

I think the most expensive item I sold that way was for $240, it was a radio..

There are many other online auctions sites, and they all claim to be great, but i do not see a many sales going on them like ebay...

·
5K Poster!!!
5,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I may try BIN but I like the auction experience when you actually bid against someone else. Its more fun....

Oh who needs fun when money is on the line...:ROF

·
Sparky
297 Posts
I gave up on Feebay after paying more in sellers fees then I sold the parts car for. The car was a 1958 Chevy Yeoman Wagon. Metal was rotten, but all of the glass(including the curved back window) and chrome was intact. I have seen the window alone sell for $500 at car shows, but I was lazy and didn't feel like parting it. I set it at $100 no reserve and it sold for a whopping $180. After the Feebay fees, paypal fees, and my gas to and from the junk lot, I lost $20 all hope for internet selling.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts