My Tractor Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen a bunch of posts with lines like "don't let the tree huggers hear that" or "soon the tree huggers will ban the sale of 2-cycle oil."

I felt the need to make the following comments:

I guess I am a tree hugger because:
-I recycle like crazy - very little needs to be thrown away. Each week we have more recyclables on our lawn than rubbish.
-I pick on others that I work with for walking past the recycling bin to throw away a plastic bottle.
-I mulch my lawn. I only bag when the leaves won't mulch into the lawn.
-I try very hard to not put any leaves on the tree-lawn for the city to collect.
-When we did a remodel to our home, I borrowed a truck and drove the debris to a local recycling facility.

However, I use two-stroke lawnboys. I am also a car nut. I drive a car that most of my friends consider a gas guzzler. My 2008 Audi A6 Avant gets 16mpg in the city and 23 on the highway. My wife's A4 gets about 21mpg average, from a four cylinder. Do I think cars should get better economy? Yes, but I'm willing to pay a premium and pay the gas guzzler tax to drive what I want.

How do I reconcile these conflicting themes? I don't have a problem with it such that it needs reconciling. I just make my decisions and try to be as efficient as possible. When my grandma would make do with war rations and recycle paper and rags, nobody thought they were tree-huggers. Now if you are friendly to the environment, you are a left wing tree hugger.

Any comments on the interplay between our interest smoky lawn mowers and being environmentally friendly?

·
Castor Freak
2,167 Posts
Most of the time, the "tree-hugger" word get's thrown around here loosely. When we are talking about that we are mostly talking about the kind of people that call the cops on you for mowing the lawn on ozone action day or for any ridiculous thing like that. Any kind of overly "green" person who only wants you to use a bike and ditch your car and to use a manual push mower or as I like to call it, the "Al Gore Special". I find many of these kinds of people to be big hypocrites themselves. Do we consider you a tree-hugger htimsdj? No, we consider you to be a valuable asset to this forum and by the looks of your post about recycling and such, a valuable asset to your own community.:thThumbsU

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
You sound like a conscientious person who uses common sense about environmental issues. That is not my definition of a tree hugger.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I also agree that my definition of a tree hugger would be the type who only ride bikes and use manual mowers and are really fanatic about usage of gas and such. I think your just a good person with what recycling you do. I also try to recycle a ton and LOVE my cars and LB's

·
Old engine addict
292 Posts
Being friendly to the environment does not make you a left-wing nutcase.

Left wing whackos are the people who support organizations like Greenpeace, or harass you because you drive a big car, or who worry about their "carbon footprint". People who believe putting pollution control devices on lawn mowers is going to make one iota of difference. People who believe saving the environment is more important than saving an unborn child or even our own country. People who blindly buy into the church of the Al-Gore enviro-lemmings. People who believe big government regulation is the answer to everything...

Point is, the common denominator in all the left-wing whacko situations is the fact that these people think they know better than you, and want to enact laws and take even more of your freedoms away in the false name of "saving the planet". Anyone who doesn't blindly go along with these beliefs is ridiculed.

·
Registered
51 Posts
You guys are way to philosophical. (Hope I spelled that right; but I have a bad feeling.....) This guy has a Lawnboy so he can tell everyone that he has a "green" lawn mower. Well, he does, now, doesn't he?

ONLY KIDDING!!!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bwright - that is funny. and it might be true, except that I have a total of 7 lawnboys, and only one of them is a 4-stroke (my 22271, which is a pretty nice mower, as far as 4-strokes go).

·
I LOVE Garden Tractors!!!
1,799 Posts
What a great thread. I too have given this much thought. I do all I can to be enviormentally friendly. I recycle, compost, drink tap water (a biggie in my book) and what ever else I can do. But I drive a big Caprice V8 and love my GT's. On the other hand I am thinking of converting one to deisel (bio). The thing about these tree huggers is they jump on the newest green idea without seeing the bad side.

A good example is hydrid cars, sure they get great gas mileage, but I have heard the production of the batteries is tearing up great swaths of Canadian wilderness. And ethanol, don't even get me started.

Moderation is key, do what you can and be open minded. Oh yeah and keep those LBs and GTs out of the landfills. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
594 Posts
OOOOOOHHHHHH saaaaaaaaweeeeeet and Audi Wagon. I love those and Volvo wagons. At the moment, Im in a Focus wagon.....but an uber rare one, a 2.3 5spd. I think 3 were ordered......

·
Registered
175 Posts
...But I drive a big Caprice V8...
Right on! I have a fleet of old Caprice Wagons. I keep 'em in perfect shape, the cats are in place, and they pass the emissions test with flying colors. Better than new, actually. I get flack all the time about 'em. Folks will just randomly say "gass guzzler" or "I bet that'll pass anything but a gas station" as they walk by. Truth is they are 16/22 cars that I've maintained as new. I figure I'm keeping them out of landfills! :)

I feel the same way about the Lawnboys. Folks on here are obviously interested in keeping them running correctly... and we are certainly keeping them out of landfills!

As for emissions... well, nothing's perfect.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I recycle and the whole bit. 4-5 bags of recycleables, and 1-2 bags of garbage every two weeks (one week, recycleales, the other week, garbage).

But I too also love gasoline engines and hate electric trimmers, mowers, pressure washers, cars, etc.

No matter what you use to control your lawn, it has/had some negative effect on the environment. However, having a lawn is more beneficial than having a gravel/dirt yard.

·
Old engine addict
292 Posts
Right on! I have a fleet of old Caprice Wagons. I keep 'em in perfect shape, the cats are in place, and they pass the emissions test with flying colors. Better than new, actually. I get flack all the time about 'em. Folks will just randomly say "gass guzzler" or "I bet that'll pass anything but a gas station" as they walk by. Truth is they are 16/22 cars that I've maintained as new. I figure I'm keeping them out of landfills! :)

I feel the same way about the Lawnboys. Folks on here are obviously interested in keeping them running correctly... and we are certainly keeping them out of landfills!

As for emissions... well, nothing's perfect.
What most people don't realize about the old full-size V8 cars is that just because it has a big engine doesn't mean it's going to be a gas guzzler. Driving down the interstate, that V8 is just loafing along hardly using any fuel.

I'm driving an old beater '88 Buick LeSabre wagon right now, and it will do 21-22 MPG on the interstate. The fuel injected versions of these cars can get 25-26 highway MPG or better.

·
Member #495
3,827 Posts
You are only a tree hugger if your car has bumper stickers that say, "save the rain forests", "Impeach Bush", "Bush Lied, People Died", and you flick your cigarette butt out the window. They all do that.

·
Junk Whisperer
287 Posts
You are only a tree hugger if your car has bumper stickers that say, "save the rain forests", "Impeach Bush", "Bush Lied, People Died", and you flick your cigarette butt out the window. They all do that.
The butts are presumably benficial because they 'aerate the soil'.:D

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
I must confess to being a "2 stroke tree hugger" as well. First I hug the tree to see how many cords are going to be in it... THEN I 2-cycle that big sucker down onto the ground and buck it.:D

One wonders (this particular "one" anyway) where all these electric cars are going to plug in to recharge what with the lead time necessary to get a new power plant of any kind past the REAL tree huggers... I dont' see wind or solar powering much in the N.E. for a looooooon time in the future. Getting electricity out of the ocean will be quicker.

·
Banned
330 Posts
So let me get this staight,you can't use a two cycle motor but you can go to the store in you 6-8 cylinder car and buy a 4 cycle,than go to another store to buy gas and oil to put in said 4 cycle,that is if you love trees?:praying:

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
Exactly Greenmule! They haven't figgered out just yet how to reduce the American economy to the point where any personal auto travel isn't practical anymore and "mass transit" is the only option. THAT is the Hard Core Hugger's ultimate goal.

Oh yeah, and "they" will be in charge of the transit and how often you'll need to use it. Line up here for your "Travel Pass/Playground Permission Slips".:D

·
Banned
330 Posts
Well,well,I like trees,I like pork to and eat it almost ever day.Kinda like ethinal,takes about as much energy to make it than you get out of it,[maybe more],and probably causes more total pollution[if its made from corn anyways],if the tree huggers really want to help pollution,than they ought to be for nucular power,they ain't,so that means they ain't got a clue.:trink40:

·
Banned
330 Posts
Well,well,I like trees,I like pork to and eat it almost ever day.Kinda like ethinal,takes about as much energy to make it than you get out of it,[maybe more],and probably causes more total pollution[if its made from corn anyways],if the tree huggers really want to help pollution,than they ought to be for nucular power,they ain't,so that means they ain't got a clue.:trink40:

·
Old engine addict
292 Posts
One wonders (this particular "one" anyway) where all these electric cars are going to plug in to recharge what with the lead time necessary to get a new power plant of any kind past the REAL tree huggers... I dont' see wind or solar powering much in the N.E. for a looooooon time in the future. Getting electricity out of the ocean will be quicker.
Now-now Harold... you should no better than to interject logic and common sense into a discussion about liberals! That's like trying to mix oil and water!

Electric cars and lawnmowers don't reduce pollution, they just displace it. Instead of coming out your exhaust, it's coming out of the power plant stack.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.