My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Since I haven't been able to find much info on which deere models have the hydro transmission, or when it was first used, or if it was optional to the geared transmission.....I thought I would ask about this.
How can you tell if your mower has a hydro transmission?
Maybe it's a stupid question, but I am kinda new to the whole riding lawn mower world.
Thanks,
Erich

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,642 Posts
All JD riding machines built today have a hydrostatic trans. I don't know when the first one was, sometime in the '70s I think.

Two was to tell if you have a HST:

1-No gear shifter or clutch pedal; usually clutch is on left footboard. Shifter can be on either fender or forward of the seat

2- Two pedals on the right foot board. One for forward, one for reverse. If you don't press either one, you're in neutral, and the HST is designed to hold position, unless you're on an incline. It will still resist movement (it won't start rolling at an incresing rate, but will creep). There will also be a brake pedal above the direction pedals.

Some of the earlier JD HST's had the forward/reverse HST control as a lever on the inst panel, and had individual brake controls, one for each rear wheel. You could just about pivot the tractor on one rear wheel with practice.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,
Thanks, that means that my SX95 has a gear transmission.
What can I do to corrrect this problem:
I push the clutch pedal (left foot) down and the machine slows down for a minute but then it jumps around in a forward direction. It seems like the clutch doesn't stay engaged or is out of adjustment. I just had both drive belts (primary traction, and secondary traction) changed by a dealer recently.
The brake pedal doesn't work at all, I mean you push it down and it seems to be attached but it has no affect.
I found this out when I flew into the bushes while cutting my lawn.
If my wife was on it, we would have really been in trouble! LOL!
Thanks again,
Erich

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hi,
Since I haven't been able to find much info on which deere models have the hydro transmission, or when it was first used, or if it was optional to the geared transmission.....I thought I would ask about this.
How can you tell if your mower has a hydro transmission?
Maybe it's a stupid question, but I am kinda new to the whole riding lawn mower world.
Thanks,
Erich
Erich,
I will try and answer a few of your questions for you. First though welcome to the forum and just so you know There is no such thing as a stupid question if one truly wants an answer.
To help you out even more and a great place to learn about John Deere Garden Tractors you need to check out the WFM site and there you will find about anything you would want to ask. Also there is a lot of good reading there on the history of most model.
I think the differences has already been answered above, so I'll take a shot at a few of the Hydro models:
John Deere 140 1968-1974 was JD's first hydrostatic garden tractor, they also built the 120 which used a lot of the same parts but it did not have everything the 140 had and although smaller it in most peoples view is more collectible as they were only built two years I think maybe 3.
After the 140 came the new 300 series starting with the 300 in 1975, with the 300 they also built a 312, a 314, a 316K (1978 only), The twin cylinder 317, and also the biggest at the time would have been the 400. In 1984 the 300 series was redesigned and out came the 318 which most people think is one of the all time best garden tractor ever built.
In 1084 the 300 series were redesigned and the new models included a new 316, the famous 318, I think they had a 320 and 322 as well then on to the 330 and 332 I think. There was also the newer 420 for 1984 and the diesel powered 430. There are several more too. I dont know all of the models after 1992. But I do know that a lot of the tractors built in that era would be numbered ending in a 5 if they were gear drive and would end with a ) if they were Hydrostatic. I'm sure I have left many models out but this should get you started and I'm sure someone else will come along shortly and fill in where I have missed.
Again check out the WFM forum and you can read there for weeks if you want.
Link to the WFM website:http://www.weekendfreedommachines.com/
:MTF_wel2: :MTF_wel2: :MTF_wel2: :MTF_wel2: :MTF_wel2: :MTF_wel2:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hi,
Thanks, that means that my SX95 has a gear transmission.
What can I do to corrrect this problem:
I push the clutch pedal (left foot) down and the machine slows down for a minute but then it jumps around in a forward direction. It seems like the clutch doesn't stay engaged or is out of adjustment. I just had both drive belts (primary traction, and secondary traction) changed by a dealer recently.
The brake pedal doesn't work at all, I mean you push it down and it seems to be attached but it has no affect.
I found this out when I flew into the bushes while cutting my lawn.
If my wife was on it, we would have really been in trouble! LOL!
Thanks again,
Erich
Sounds as if you clutch is out of adjustment and is staying engaged and not disengaging, are you sure the belt is on correctly? If I were you and had a dealer install the belts then I would take it back to the dealer and have them take a look at it and you can look at all the other John Deere tractors they have while you wait.
I don't know anything about that specific model but I can tell you that you really need a service manual to stay on top of it.You can either buy them from Mother Deere or check out the big auction site. There really handy to have and you will find you will learn a lot about your Deere.
Best of Luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts