My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hate to ask but did a search and looked in the service manual and can't seem to find any procedures for changing hydrostatic fluid. Is there a way to do a search for a specific phrase, seems when I do a search it will search for each individual word. Anyways took off the belly pan and see the trans filter. Can see the drain bolt and the bolt at the very top under the seat is the fill hole or is it?

Do I just open the drain at the bottom and let it drain, then take the old filter off and let that drain, replace filter and start filling till the sight tube behind the differential shows fluid to the middle of the sight tube? Notice a purge procedure, when is that necessary?

·
Registered
948 Posts
Pretty close.

Remove belly screen.
Remove drain plug.
Remove filter.
Let drain.
Clean filter mounting area with clean cloth.
Once draining is complete, install plug.
Apply clean fluid to filter seal.
Fill filter 1/3 to 1/2 full with fluid.
Install and tighten filter.
Put 5 quarts Lo-Viscosity HyGard in fill tube. Do this slowly to avoid over fill spills.
Check level. Add to achieve mid-point in sight tube.
Start tractor.
Allow to warm up and check for leaks.
Move hydro levers back and forth several times.
Drive tractor, turning steering wheel lock to lock, do figure 8s, run forward and reverse, move hydro levers back and forth.
Stop tractor, shut off, let rest for five to ten minutes.
Check fluid level and add if necessary.

·
John Deere 316 Onan
868 Posts
You just about have it right, but the fill is near the battery on the left side. I did not have to do any purgeing when I did my 316.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts