My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I parked my 1250 today after tilling in some mulch in the garden and noticed a drip on the garage floor after I shut it down.
There's a slow drip coming from the shifter shaft after it sits for a while. It's a minor drip but enough to put a 6" stain on the concrete after a few hours.

Can that seal or O ring be changed without removing the pump?
Seal or O ring?

It looks like the collar or bushing comes off and will slide over the shaft???

I looked at the Eaton 12 manuals posted online and didn't see where it mentioned this seal or how to get at it.

My guess is that some dirt got up there, or the O ring or seal just finally dried up from age.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Re: Hydrostatic leak

I have never worked on a 1250 but all others that use the Eaton -12, I have used seal by SKF 9663. the new one will look totally different but new technology has changed the way they are made. They cost me about $15.00. All you need to do is get the drive shaft off and clean the input shaft of any burrs or nicks. Pull the old seal out by means of putting a sheet metal screw in the metal ring so you got something to pull on.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Re: Hydrostatic leak

Well that is a little more involved and many don't like to try to even attempt to do it. I have done it many times. You have to pull the hydro. take the finned cover off, take the slipper ring out,take the pistons out of the rotor and mark each one to the hole that they were in. They have to be put back in the same hole that they were removed from. Next take the rotor out and make yourself a jig to support the hydro in a position with open end down. Now get yourself a short piece od 3/8 or 1/2 inch pipe and slip it over the slipper ring stud to support the stud and drive the pin out thus allowing you to pull the shifter stud out. If you fail to suppout the stud and try to drive the pin out you will probably break the cast metal holding it. This may sound all very much involed and it is. Go slow and be sure of what you are doing. Maybe the 1250 is different that what I just wrote but the above applies to the 1886 with the Eaton-12. Early ones maybe different.

Are you referring to the stud at very bottom of the hydro that has a rod attached to it? If you are that is the parking pawl and it can be removed without removing the hydro but you should drain the oil first unless you are real fast. Just unhook the rod and unscrew the nut and put it free. It will be diffcult if not impossible to find the double side o ring but a regular one will do.

·
Premium Member
2,567 Posts
That leak is from the parking pawl. There are at least 2 O-rings that could be leaking. If you need to pull that, drain the transaxle first. Otherwise, when you unscrew the bushing, the oil will run out at that hole.
While you have the pawl out, check the tip for wear. I had to build mine up and grind and file back to fit because of wear.
Dave

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's about what I had figured by just looking at it.
A fluid change won't hurt it anyhow.
Does anyone know what filter it takes and which modern ATF I can use?
I guess the choice is pretty much Type F or Mercon?

Is the original O ring something special or just a pair of round orings?

·
Premium Member
2,567 Posts
When I had mine out, there were 2 different O-rings there. One was on the nut and one was on the pawl. They were both round O-rings. I have a box of O- rings that my son rescued from a factory shut down and found 2 that fit .
Dave

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like a simply fix, I've got a huge O ring assortment here to choose from.

Anyone know the part number of the hydrostat filter?

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
I use NAPA 1084's.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts