My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked this up from E-bay. It's one of about 100 ever produced. It was done as a proof of concept for a kit vehicle that was released afterward. I'm hoping to do a total re-build on it by springtime. The current engine is a 30 horse Evenrude.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Who manufactured it? Looking forward to seeing more pictures. What year were they made? where?
rust

·
Registered
220 Posts
Very different, your not a Battlestar Gallactica fan are you.
Kinda looks like the fighers fromt the show.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As far as I can tell, these things were made in Arizona starting around the early 80's/ The unit I have was made in '89, or at least that's when it was first licensed. Most of them that you'll come across are a kit version made with fiberglass laid over a plywood base. The production versions like this one are considerably lighter.
Here's the designer's website: http://www.rqriley.com/plans.html He created a number of vehicle plans for the home builder to assemble, many of them from have that same 80's futuristic look. (and a bunch were used in the movie Total Recall)

I'll be posting pics of it as I go through and rebuild it, though there isn't a whole lot to see. All the mechanicals are buried in a tunnel under the seat, I'm going to have to modify it so I can gain access to work on them. I'm thinking I'll cut a few holes through the top and create a new seat with a base plate that covers the holes up, but leaves them accessible if needed.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry, nothing new on it yet, I've been trying to get my yard equipment cleaned up and ready to use for the summer. I have a repaint/restore to finish on my garden tractor before I come back to this project. It shouldn't take too much work, the main thing will be figuring out the electrical systems and getting everything hooked back up.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey, I lied. I'm taking it over to my paint guy tomorrow for an estimate. It may or may not stay there to get done, so I took a bunch of pictures to get a record of where all the decals are and all that jazz. Click on the link to see the whole album. I don't want to link all the pics here, it could take a while and a half to load everything.
http://s681.photobucket.com/albums/vv176/Exto/Hydrorunner/?start=0

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I could order the plans from the link in post #5 and modify them to use a jet pump powerplant, but I don't want to modify the hull I have now. The biggest issue with a jet pump assembly would be making sure the pump stays loaded with water. With me sitting on the boat most jet pump assemblies would barely be submerged, and once it's on plane I'd have to have a scoop under the hull to keep water flowing in.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No pictures atm, but here's a little update.
End of last week, I rebuilt the wiring harness and purchased a new ignition switch to replace the non-existant one it came with. Today I got the engine to fire up, and it's like it's almost new. 150 lbs of compression on both cylinders, nice clean blue spark, and the forward/reverse shift is nice and smooth. Now I need to spend a day or two going over the shift/steer mechanism in the hull, and then can start putting it back together. I'll need to find a set of handlebars off of a mountain bike to replace the old steering, but that shouldn't be too hard. That was even what it had stock.
I have to say, the setup for the steering, shifter and throttle is genius. You can take out the whole control system by removing about six bolts, and it comes out in one piece. Handy, because you don't throw anything out of adjustment by taking it out to work on it.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
It looks very similar to a set of plans Popular Mechanics(?) had in the 60's or 70's. Maybe that's where the concept started.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's pretty much the deal. The production units were done as a proof of concept before/while the plans were released. (This particular model was in the Aug. of '88 issue) The production models are all fiberglass, so no plywood to rot out. From what I'm told, another benefit is that this one is somewhere between 50 and 100 lbs lighter than what the kits wind up weighing when complete. The weight varies with the grade and thickness of plywood used by the kit builder.

I think that if I wind up really liking this thing once I get it done, I might make a kit version with foamcore construction instead of plywood (solid block of foam instead of a frame made from plywood) and modify it to use a jet drive instead of an outboard. I'd also redo the passenger area to make the seating more boat like and less PWC. I even haved a jet pump assembly in the garage that mates to an outboard engine, so I won't have to worry about redistributing the weight too much.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It looks very similar to a set of plans Popular Mechanics(?) had in the 60's or 70's. Maybe that's where the concept started.
its actually a hydrorunner x3 and they were made in the late 70s. I found this one I am restoring but gonna put a fan on the back so I can ride to the shallow springs here in Florida

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts